Overdue Rental, no plans to return

Old May 21, 20, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Overdue Rental, no plans to return

Flyer talk help!

I am currently renting a jeep wrangler. We headed to the Utah desert when this whole quarantine thing started. When I rented the jeep I said I would return about a week ago. We are having fun with no intent to return soon. The last time I rented a car the same thing happened and the person at the Hertz counter told me no big deal itís the same cost per day or week. Just return it when I want.

So two days ago I got a call from corporate saying my car is overdue. They told me they actually sold the car And I need to return it as soon as possible. Hereís the issue I am at least a four hour round-trip drive to the closest Hertz that doesnít have another jeep to give me.

I am president circle if that means anything. Should I just return it when I want? Are they going to hit me with any big fees? If I keep it itíll be at least another seven days.
Old May 21, 20, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
What you should have done is extend your rental -- it could have prevented you from being in this situation -- but right now you really need to return that car to Hertz. Not doing so could result in major charges, but could also have Hertz reporting the vehicle as stolen or otherwise being used without authorization which could have the Utah SP pulling you over.
Old May 21, 20, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
See Utah Code Annotated ß76-6-410.5.
IAHtraveler, zephyr17 and m907 like this.
Old May 21, 20, 5:00 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Agree with everything said. Even though it was unintentional, you are in the wrong, and it could end very badly for you if you don't return the vehicle ASAP. Your contract with Hertz states that you agree to return it at the agreed-upon time. If you do not, it's considered theft. That may sound harsh, but it is what it is.

Your best bet is to return it to the nearest location and try to make other arrangements for a Jeep elsewhere if Hertz cannot provide one to you.

Btw, this just happened a few weeks back.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 21, 20 at 6:25 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old May 21, 20, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite,
Iím a little surprised Hertz didnít contact you sooner. What was mentioned by corporate in the call? Did they extend your contract?

Iíll also echo everything that has been mentioned previously in the comments. Having a Jeep might be the least of your troubles right now.

Iíd return the car as soon as possible or you could be facing some serious legal trouble, especially if the car is marked as stolen. Status with Hertz wonít help you there.

Good luck!
zephyr17 and FlyingJayhawk12 like this.
Old May 21, 20, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
You're lucky they didn't report the car stolen. Return that ASAP before you get charged with a felony.
I have had no issues keeping cars overtime; however, you have to tell them you're keeping it and have them agree. You don't get to keep it indefinitely, and they can ask for the car back. They sometimes need a car back when it is a special car, like a wrangler, they've promised to someone else.
FlyingJayhawk12 and Ordpc like this.
Old May 21, 20, 9:02 pm

Just rent a Jeep from another rental company if you're so set on that brand. Unless you plan to purchase your current car at an amount far exceeding what Hertz has already negotiated with their buyer, your status is of no importance. You're risking losing status if that's something you're so fond of.
Old May 21, 20, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Do report back when you decide what to do.
Old May 22, 20, 6:51 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10 View Post
Should I just return it when I want? Are they going to hit me with any big fees?
After being over-due by a week, and still 48+ hours after they called saying they needed it back ASAP, I'm doubtful they'll let you extend the rental and just swap the Jeep for whatever they have on hand. Wherever you return it, your rate will most likely be re-calculated at that point. If it's one-way, I'm guessing you'll either be hit with a large drop fee, significantly different daily rate and/or a per mile fee. Just because one person said something once, doesn't mean that the contract you have is void and they won't do something different this time.

Originally Posted by ChristopherJN View Post
Status with Hertz wonít help you there.
Originally Posted by Cosme View Post
You're risking losing status if that's something you're so fond of.
More than status, after not returning the car when they said they need it immediately, I'd guess the OP will be on the DNR list. So even if status isn't lost, they'll not be able to actually get a vehicle (legally) off of a lot so status won't matter.
zephyr17 and ChristopherJN like this.
Old May 22, 20, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Just keep your eyes in the rearview mirror!
bbbb and GW McLintock like this.
Old May 22, 20, 7:05 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Just keep your eyes in the rearview mirror!
In the same vein, follow all traffic rules when returning.
Old May 22, 20, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
just look out for the blue lights in your rear view mirror... if you see them.... speed up ... ok just kidding...
Old May 22, 20, 9:36 am

Before car rentals were computerized, I was twice accused of not returning a car. And the accusations came 1-2 MONTHS after I had returned the car!

Both "stolen" rental cars were from the now defunct General Car Rental company.

Be thankful that computers have minimized this annoyance.
Old May 22, 20, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10 View Post
The last time I rented a car the same thing happened and the person at the Hertz counter told me no big deal itís the same cost per day or week. Just return it when I want.
How exactly are they supposed to run a business under this set of "rules"?
zephyr17, nancypants and wrldwide1 like this.
Old May 22, 20, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Do report back when you decide what to do.
Hopefully he will get more than one phone call :-))
zephyr17 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: