Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on May 22, 2020" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2020, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Official Press Release - click here

Excerpts:
  • Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: HTZ) ("Hertz" or the "Company") ... announced it and certain of its U.S. and Canadian subsidiaries have filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
  • All customer and loyalty programs [are] expected to continue as usual
  • Hertz's principal international operating regions including Europe, Australia and New Zealand are not included in [the] U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings. In addition, Hertz's franchised locations, which are not owned by the Company, also are not included in the Chapter 11 proceedings.
  • All of Hertz's businesses globally, including its Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Firefly, Hertz Car Sales, and Donlen subsidiaries, are open and serving customers. All reservations, promotional offers, vouchers, and customer and loyalty programs, including rewards points, are expected to continue as usual.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on May 22, 2020" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Based on what I know about automotive residual values (not much, I admit), the dreamier the car, the worse the residual value hit. I would think that these dream cars are the absolute last ones that lessors want back.

BMW 7 Series/Mercedes AMG-line/Porsche etc. buyers aren't particularly price sensitive and generally want to buy/lease new vehicles. Last year I was in the market for a new car and talking to a Mercedes dealer. I was somewhat interested in the C43 AMG Coupe but it would have required a special order, paying close to MSRP, and there were none around to actually test drive... So I ruled the car out. But the saleswoman did her best to try to sell me a used S Class coupe for the same price as a new C Class!
but these things are still worth more than most what it has on the fleet I think, and most of these are leased, so even easier to dump back to the dealers
Old May 5, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by doglynx
but these things are still worth more than most what it has on the fleet I think, and most of these are leased, so even easier to dump back to the dealers
Though the lessors should have a big incentive to negotiate with Hertz. If, as I suspect, the already thin secondary market for these vehicles has completely evaporated, the lessors might be better off accepting a lower lease payment from Hertz than taking back a car that now has no market at all.

If you were in the market for a car like Hertz has in its Dream Cars collection, would you ever consider a former rental car?

I'm pretty sure I could sell a high mileage Altima tomorrow if I had to. A former rental car 7 Series or Porsche, doubtful.

As a Hertz customer, if I was frustrated with their cars pre-pandemic, getting rid of everything worth driving gives me ZERO incentive to book with Hertz once travel resumes. Keep some decent cars in the fleet and I might actually reserve those classes in the future if the bulk of what's left skews ever more towards the 60K mile Chrysler 200 hypothesized upthread... But if there's nothing but ultra high mileage beaters left at any rental rate, I'm gone for good.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Bring on the 60,000 mile Chrysler 200s!
Nah, at the rate folks are traveling now, you might come across a 2018 model year car in 2021, but it will only have 30k on it

If you were in the market for a car like Hertz has in its Dream Cars collection, would you ever consider a former rental car?
I'm curious how many people even know their car is a former rental. My aunt has a mid 2010 Hyundai. When I first saw it (after about a year of her having it), the first thing I noticed was that it still had the Avis "no smoking/$250 penalty" stickers in the front windows. I commented to her about it and she "just thought the old owner didn't want anyone smoking in their car and had these made up." It never occurred to her that she was buying a rental. But now that she's had it >5 years and it's still running well, she would not hesitate to buy another rental car. No matter what I tell her, I can't change her mind.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by doglynx
also it’s seems that all dream cars are removed from the reservation system.
Just tried SFO, for later this month and later in June/July, Dream Cars are reservable.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Being an essential and still having to rent from them weekly, I had already seen multiple previous generation altima/camry/sonata(the pre-refreshed model) back in the fleet.
I had also seen a few previous gen Jettas.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:19 pm

Hz doesn’t need to recall the Yaris hatchback from car sales or auctions because they never left the fleet.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:30 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LJ7006
Being an essential and still having to rent from them weekly, I had already seen multiple previous generation altima/camry/sonata(the pre-refreshed model) back in the fleet.
I had also seen a few previous gen Jettas.
Where are they getting all of these old beaters from? Can’t imagine Hertz has many used car lots to pull from, I’ve never seen one.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I have about 14k points that I bought last year in the Daily Getaways promotion. Would they really just suspend those points in the event of managed bankruptcy? What did the airlines - e.g. American Airlines - do with their mileage programs when they filed for Chapter 11 back in the early 2000s?

Any recommendations on what I should do?
Old May 6, 2020, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I was thinking about what would happen even to Hertz's own points system assuming bankruptcy. Good that I used them all up last summer when the devaluations were announced.

By the way, last year and before, I noticed quite a number of Hertz cars driving around my area, along with Enterprise and a few Avis/Budget. (My town has all 3.) Before covid, starting around last summer. I noticed drastically fewer Hertz cars on the road, many more Enterprise, and slightly more Avis/Budget. Keep it up Hertz. It's not like people are jumping for the high prices you didn't earn, increasingly useless points, lackluster service, billing errors, etc.
I can generally recognize rental cars on the road, but how do you know which brand?

Originally Posted by ryan754
So I have a voucher, and a few thousand points. Should I use it all by this weekend, or is there a bit of time?
No. Rates are low in most places so you wouldn't get a good value, and Hertz is headed towards reorganization, not liquidation.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 6, 2020 at 11:00 am Reason: multi-quote
Old May 6, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by m907
I can generally recognize rental cars on the road, but how do you know which brand?
Each brand has a slightly different shape of barcode, different types of no smoking stickers, and different ways of mounting EZPass boxes. Several years ago, Enterprise/National/Alamo cars had front license plate pegs, and Avis/Budget cars had curly license plate frames.
m907 and Presguy like this.

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; May 6, 2020 at 11:04 am
Old May 6, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
Where are they getting all of these old beaters from? Can’t imagine Hertz has many used car lots to pull from, I’ve never seen one.
Some of them have hertz car sales license plate frame so they're definitely from their own used lot, and I've been told some are from their uber/lyft rental program. In the past 2 years hertz has been renting out their older fleet to rideshare drivers and now that they are recycling them back into the fleet again
Old May 6, 2020, 2:55 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
My recollection is that the miles did not go away in any of the airline reorganizations. I sure hope that turns out to be the case with Hertz. I've been looking forward to using up some of my points on a vacation.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Update on New Car Order Cancellations

I found this article on rental car order cancellations from the OEMs very interesting. It also validates anecdotal observations on how common Kias are even in Hertz PC aisles in Ultimate Choice.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hertz...162026663.html

Nearly 3% of Kia sales are to Avis and Hertz. The comparable figure for GM is just a shade above 2%.
m907 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by BLG
My recollection is that the miles did not go away in any of the airline reorganizations. I sure hope that turns out to be the case with Hertz. I've been looking forward to using up some of my points on a vacation.
I think/hope unless Hertz is going away forever, which it is not, they would be stupid to void points their customers have earned. This would hurt them so much in terms of losing loyal customers.

I think I am comfortable enough holding on to the points.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sure seems that Hertz wants to go bankrupt based on the insanely high rates they are trying to charge for rentals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.