Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on May 22, 2020" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2020, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Official Press Release - click here

Excerpts:
  • Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: HTZ) ("Hertz" or the "Company") ... announced it and certain of its U.S. and Canadian subsidiaries have filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
  • All customer and loyalty programs [are] expected to continue as usual
  • Hertz's principal international operating regions including Europe, Australia and New Zealand are not included in [the] U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings. In addition, Hertz's franchised locations, which are not owned by the Company, also are not included in the Chapter 11 proceedings.
  • All of Hertz's businesses globally, including its Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Firefly, Hertz Car Sales, and Donlen subsidiaries, are open and serving customers. All reservations, promotional offers, vouchers, and customer and loyalty programs, including rewards points, are expected to continue as usual.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on May 22, 2020" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
$19bn in debt, with no customers for the foreseeable future. How do you recover from that?
Old May 23, 2020, 2:17 am

Sure hope Hertz survives this!
As it is, it's just Hertz, Enterprise and Avis.
It's gonna be serious lack of competition if we are essentially down to just 2 companies.
Old May 23, 2020, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by maxleon
So the obligatory question. Are my rewards points now useless?
That is a real risk. I lost my interest in Hertz with last year's devaluation without any warning.
So today, I transferred my Hertz points to Amtrak. It seems like the safest bet at this point. Southwest is a better value, but who knows what their operations will look like in a year from now.
Old May 23, 2020, 3:14 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Agent69
$19bn in debt, with no customers for the foreseeable future. How do you recover from that?
That's an easy one: Stay in Chapter 11 until the coast is clear. Get your uncle Carl (Icahn) to co-sign on a new loan, downsize the fleet and offices, and pay off all the unsecured creditors with funny money aka new Hertz stock, to come out the other side.
ND76 likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Firstboss
There have been quite a few posters dissatisfied with their rewards loyalty program. While it is true about the reward rentals, the really valuable - and best in business - benefits are with the free upgrades and quality of the cars/options installed at the President's and even the 5 star status levels.
I completely disagree with "best in business". Hertz points are worth far less than National free days, and Ultimate Choice is nice but it's a poor man's Emerald Aisle.

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Hertz added the grab & go option as a condition of a sweetheart deal (for them) that they landed with the company I work for three years ago (2017) when they undercut National, whom we had been using as our preferred rental car company for many, many years. I'd seriously like to see us go back to National. I was much happier with National.
Are you saying the entire Ultimate Choice program resulted from a single corporate contract?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 23, 2020 at 10:03 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old May 23, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by m907
I completely disagree with "best in business". Hertz points are worth far less than National free days, and Ultimate Choice is nice but it's a poor man's Emerald Aisle.
National is poorly positioned on the global market (locations, pricing, car choices), and for me European rentals matter just as much.
Admittedly, I haven't tried the Emerald isle since my top loyalty status is with Hertz.
But then again, it is very subjective what different customers call the best choice. For me that would be performance cars with low-profile tires and responsive handling - and I won't even glance at SUV's with the boring old-school interior
Old May 23, 2020, 5:55 am

One advantage of BK for Hertz is that I would imagine it allows them out of any remaining vehicle purchase contracts Not likely they'll need to buy cars for the rest of the year anyways since with most of their fleet idle, they'll be able to keep those cars for many months longer than they normally would. Case in point: I rented a minivan yesterday - according to the registration it had been in fleet for over 3 months, but only had 700 miles on it.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:12 am

Now I know why I was told by Hertz, about a week ago, why they were ‘temporarily‘ not able to transfer points to a partner hotel or airline program.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding transferring your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points to other travel partners. We have temporarily paused the functionality to transfer points to select partners. You can still redeem your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points for free rental days starting at 750 points.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am known among my friends and family for consumer activism....if something fails or is not right I have had a nearly 100% rate at getting some satisfaction from the offending party. In all my years of " making it good" , the only company that I came up against that refused to make this consumer " happy" was Hertz. I went pretty far up the chain but they clearly had been trained to say " no". They lost my loyalty many years ago over a simple gallon of gas.....
Old May 23, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by m907
Are you saying the entire Ultimate Choice program resulted from a single corporate contract?
Yes. It was a VERY big corporate contract. Hertz didn't have Ultimate Choice or our business prior to 2017.

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service
Old May 23, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
In my view Hertz has always been the Rolls-Royce of Car Rental Companies. I hope they and the creditors work it out. I bet the auto companies hope they do too!
Old May 23, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by evergrn
Sure hope Hertz survives this!
As it is, it's just Hertz, Enterprise and Avis.
It's gonna be serious lack of competition if we are essentially down to just 2 companies.
There will be vultures that will take pieces of Hertz in a potential liquidation. As AutoSlash said, they have too many valuable things (the brand, the real estate, etc) for the company to disappear completely. Someone will buy up their assets, and the affected franchisees need to align themselves with someone, lest they face the same fate of Hertz.
Old May 23, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
National is poorly positioned on the global market (locations, pricing, car choices), and for me European rentals matter just as much.
Admittedly, I haven't tried the Emerald isle since my top loyalty status is with Hertz.
But then again, it is very subjective what different customers call the best choice. For me that would be performance cars with low-profile tires and responsive handling - and I won't even glance at SUV's with the boring old-school interior
I can see how Hertz would work best for you. Too bad for Hertz that there are not enough yous. And for 98% of the business travel market, National is tough to beat.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Centurion
Resorts in Arizona have become parking lot for extra cars NOT ON RENT.
Some car rental company is using the parking lots at Santa Anita racetrack in Arcadia, California to store their cars.
Old May 23, 2020, 9:32 am

If you haven't tried the competition, then calling them "best in the business" is an empty opinion. I have plenty of experience with all three major USA car rental companies (Hertz, Avis-Budget, EHI) and National blows them all away. My sense is that most people on these forums agree, aside from the bots and Hertz employees who flood the annual awards voting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.