Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on May 22, 2020" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2020, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Official Press Release - click here

Excerpts:
  • Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: HTZ) ("Hertz" or the "Company") ... announced it and certain of its U.S. and Canadian subsidiaries have filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
  • All customer and loyalty programs [are] expected to continue as usual
  • Hertz's principal international operating regions including Europe, Australia and New Zealand are not included in [the] U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings. In addition, Hertz's franchised locations, which are not owned by the Company, also are not included in the Chapter 11 proceedings.
  • All of Hertz's businesses globally, including its Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Firefly, Hertz Car Sales, and Donlen subsidiaries, are open and serving customers. All reservations, promotional offers, vouchers, and customer and loyalty programs, including rewards points, are expected to continue as usual.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on May 22, 2020" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: too many
this could potentially be good news for their European branch, people trying to rent once this is over (prices are incredibly cheap at Hertz near me, it's like 15€ per DAY for a Standard, aka C-class), almost cheaper than buying a new car
Old May 25, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ng1265
this could potentially be good news for their European branch, people trying to rent once this is over (prices are incredibly cheap at Hertz near me, it's like 15€ per DAY for a Standard, aka C-class), almost cheaper than buying a new car
Europe is even worse than the US for deceptive fees - making the base rate meaningless.

Can’t put into words how angry it makes me to see “Premium Location Fee (50%)” added on to the fees section of many European rentals...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Europe is even worse than the US for deceptive fees - making the base rate meaningless.

Can’t put into words how angry it makes me to see “Premium Location Fee (50%)” added on to the fees section of many European rentals...
When I book on the European sites, the highlighted price listed for the car on the 1st screem is the actual price to pay. The rate shown is the final price. Seems a lot more meaningful than US bookings where the highlighted price is nothing like the final price
Old May 25, 2020, 6:07 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by xienon
A few comments from Hertz CFO from their 1st day bankruptcy court filings:
The drop in used vehicle values required the Company to pay an additional approximately $135 million into its U.S. rental fleet ABS Program in April in order to maintain access to funding at existing levels, with even greater amounts projected in the months to come.
Margin calls are a ...... Just look what they did to closed end fund prices.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When I book on the European sites, the highlighted price listed for the car on the 1st screem is the actual price to pay. The rate shown is the final price. Seems a lot more meaningful than US bookings where the highlighted price is nothing like the final price
I’m not faulting the sites. I’m faulting the rental agencies for their junk fees.

Last edited by jason8612; May 26, 2020 at 4:52 am Reason: removed personal attack
Old May 25, 2020, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I’m not faulting the sites. I’m faulting the rental agencies for their junk fees.
What matters to me is the overall cost - Most sites that I use display the total price as the highlighted price on first screen , not highlight a price excluding taxes

Since the total price is quoted, doesn't really matter how the company wants to break down the components - there is no real need for them even to be displayed

Last edited by jason8612; May 26, 2020 at 4:52 am Reason: edited quote
Old May 25, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
What matters to me is the overall cost - Most sites that I use display the total price as the highlighted price on first screen , not highlight a price excluding taxes

Since the total price is quoted, doesn't really matter how the company wants to break down the components - there is no real need for them even to be displayed
This is one of the biggest reasons I like sites such as AutoSlash.com. The prices shown are the final amounts, with all fees included.

-J.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:42 am

I'm totally with Dave Noble on this one. In Europe, all fees are always included in the price that you see immediately upon searching. Over the past year, I've booked rentals on the web sites of Hertz, Avis, Sixt, and Expedia (for Enterprise), and I've never paid a penny more than the price listed immediately upon searching. I don't care how that price breaks down into taxes, airport fees, winterization fees, location fees, etc.

Last edited by jason8612; May 26, 2020 at 4:52 am Reason: edited quote
Old May 26, 2020, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Completely agree. Same thing goes for sales taxes in North America. Just put the final price on the sticker!
Old May 26, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rbAA
Margin calls are a ...... Just look what they did to closed end fund prices.
Yeah, Hertz is paying the price for their terrible balance sheet that left no room for error. Avis bonds are pretty distressed too (trading in the 60's) but ERAC bonds are still trading at par.
Old May 26, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by bhunt
Anybody remember the tire scandal with the Thrifty purchase? To meet Hertz safety standards they had to spend 30 million on new tires.
This is just fascinating to me - it's 100% true.

There is so much bang-for-the-buck in keeping 1-2 year old cars well maintained and on the road for longer. I have zero issues with driving a 4-5 year old vehicle that's got new tires, wiper blades, brake pads, etc. It is such a cheap thing for these companies to do at scale. They never do this, though. They let the brakes go bad, the tires go bald, and anytime I get an older car, I cringe.

National was actually the most recent company to do this to me - I ended up getting a 33k mile beater car at KOA a few years ago. 33k is a lot for a car on an island, even a big island. It was maintained poorly with wipers that barely functioned and balding tires. I marginally felt safe in it. National refunded me over 50% of the cost... Hertz never did that for me and I've had plenty of similar Hertz beaters in the past.

Thrifty/Dollar is, in theory, supposed to be the outlet for these cars as mentioned previously. But instead of maintaining the cars, they rebadge them as Thrifty or Dollar and do nothing but change the oil. At the same time, those brands make the customer experience as painful as possible so that customers identify the 'value' in being a Hertz Gold customer that can bypass the counter.

The rental industry needs to change with the times. Cars last longer than they did in the 1980s and 1990s - there is no need to buy huge fleets every year and cycle out 1-2 year old cars. There are a few locations (like Hawaii) that wear out vehicles more quickly than the average location. But HLEs that serve the auto repair/collision markets do not need to have huge inventories of new cars on their lots.
Old May 26, 2020, 6:26 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by xienon
Yeah, Hertz is paying the price for their terrible balance sheet that left no room for error. Avis bonds are pretty distressed too (trading in the 60's) but ERAC bonds are still trading at par.
Add to that the millions in "retention" bonus Hertz recently paid for a job well done. Don't think those exec's were able to go anywhere else at close to their salaries and abilities.
Old May 26, 2020, 6:48 pm

Add to that the millions in "retention" bonus Hertz recently paid for a job well done. Don't think those exec's were able to go anywhere else at close to their salaries and abilities.
Hz was only successful in restoring the executives’ salaries to normal levels ASAP, a little over a month later.

I was thinking the sell-off of the Corvette ZO6s were their bonuses, but 20 ZO6s at ~70k apiece is only 1.4M. The executive bonuses were reported to be 16M.
Old May 26, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well maybe Hertz rental prices will drop in the near term if people end up canceling and booking elsewhere.

I do wonder though, isn't Avis circling the drain also? Hertz just happened to go first, but I don't think will be the last.
Old May 27, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
That's pretty typical for bankruptcies. It's not like shareholders will have a say and can vote to kick out management now that the shares will be cancelled.

Originally Posted by rylan
I do wonder though, isn't Avis circling the drain also? Hertz just happened to go first, but I don't think will be the last.
Whether Avis files for bankruptcy is still up in the air. If demand continues to rebound and they can defleet, they should able to make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.