Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Extending Status? (Confirmed Extension to Jan 31, 2022 Announced on May 4)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Per email received from Hertz on May 4, 2020:

We’re automatically extending your loyalty status until January 31, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Hertz Extending Status? (Confirmed Extension to Jan 31, 2022 Announced on May 4)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Five Star

I was notified today that National and Enterprise were extending their elite status. I am a little surprised at Hertz that with car rental lots filled and few people renting there has been no news on extending status, promotions, sale prices on future bookings, nothing at all.
The only comment has been you can book a Pay Later Rate “with no cancellation fee” Really? They are by far the most expensive and service levels have continued to decline way before Covid19. It seems that National is taking a proactive approach and the lead.
TSparky likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Hertz is way cheaper than National, where I am.

Also, Hertz has been unofficially giving me FF points AND double the Hertz points for each rental.

Finally, Hertz generally has nice cars because a third, PC aisle exists. I don’t know why National doesn’t install an Executive Elite aisle; some places, the EE upgrades are amazing, and other places, they have you pick from Executive (looking at you, SEA or SAN) and it’s underwhelming.

Both brands have their stand out and their average locations. Hertz will probably follow now that EHI has done so, but National is so stingy they aren’t even extending 1 2 Free Day coupons that expire in June!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
I have points expiring in June. Was looking like I would be making a rental next month, but now, likely not. I was hoping they might extend that, but I may need to make a transaction of some sort.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:53 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I agree that they have been very quiet on the whole pandemic discussion. Other than e-blasts encouraging additional bookings, it's been quiet on whether they will extend.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You would think they'd have a statement that they won't be expiring points at least. Maybe nobody at Hertz is working. Its obvious that the website dept isn't from how horrid it is, which is quite ironic since they can develop that remotely.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by rylan
You would think they'd have a statement that they won't be expiring points at least. Maybe nobody at Hertz is working. Its obvious that the website dept isn't from how horrid it is, which is quite ironic since they can develop that remotely.
Hertz's website has never worked.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
If they don't do something to try to keep their frequent renters, once this is over and we start traveling and renting again there is no incentive not to try a status match somewhere else. Even if I start up this fall but miss hitting PC status I might just give National a try again.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Five Star
I am sure that National would be pleased to provide you with a status match. I know the my CSR Card will provide me with Emerald Executive Status and discounted rates so I would not even need to ask for a status match.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:54 am

Would love to see an extension, though my bigger concern is the viability of Hertz. I have a ton of points right now (bought points for a minivan rental to transport elderly relatives home for Christmas, but ended up canceling when one landed in the hospital) and hope they don't go bust.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Would love to see an extension, though my bigger concern is the viability of Hertz. I have a ton of points right now (bought points for a minivan rental to transport elderly relatives home for Christmas, but ended up canceling when one landed in the hospital) and hope they don't go bust.
HTZ stock is trading as if the company is circling the drain.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Based on how high prices are if you try to book something over the next several months, they sure are acting like they don't want to be in business.
Auto Enthusiast and melissaru like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Just as an fyi..I received an update that Avis is extending status and also some of their certificates. I am still wondering where the Number 1 company is on this issue?
melissaru likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:15 pm

I honestly have no idea how Hertz is still #1 after all the devaluations, rate hikes, high mileage worn out cars, etc. Yet every year, even on the FlyerTalk poll, Hertz somehow always wins on best benefits and such.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I honestly have no idea how Hertz is still #1 after all the devaluations, rate hikes, high mileage worn out cars, etc. Yet every year, even on the FlyerTalk poll, Hertz somehow always wins on best benefits and such.
Because for PC members and even sometimes 5*, when good cars are available, they’re really good. You won’t find BMW or Mercedes in the Preferred Select & Go at Avis, and (based on my experience) at National very rarely without upcharge. I can count on one hand this year the number of times that I couldn’t get better than a premium vehicle (read: something classier than a PCAR); be it a German mark or a convertible.

Same might be able to be said for SUV although not my first choice.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by jim32190
Because for PC members and even sometimes 5*, when good cars are available, they’re really good. You won’t find BMW or Mercedes in the Preferred Select & Go at Avis, and (based on my experience) at National very rarely without upcharge. I can count on one hand this year the number of times that I couldn’t get better than a premium vehicle (read: something classier than a PCAR); be it a German mark or a convertible.

Same might be able to be said for SUV although not my first choice.
Availability of a BMW, Mercedes, or convertible is a silly metric, and whether they're actually "premium" is debatable. I'll take a Ford Explorer Limited with a sunroof, heated/cooled seats, and adaptive cruise control over a barebones BMW X3 or Mercedes GLC300 any day.
Marko123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.