Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I use a Hertz car for DMV driving test?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use a Hertz car for DMV driving test?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you book this rental on Hertz' U.S. site, or on the Hertz site for your home country? If the latter, quoted rates will often -- not always -- include both SLI and LDW.

If the Hertz contract will not permit the rented auto to be used for a DMV driving test, I suggest that you contact a local driving school to see if it will make one of its cars available to you for the test -- for a fee, of course.
Good question. I look at it via the app. The booking does include LIS despite it's not compulsory because it already has liability for international license holder.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum
If not, driver training schools will let you use their car for a fee.
LIH Prem and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:32 pm

After a quick glance of National's T&C it seems that they allow driver tests but it will invalidate LDW. At the same time, drivers always need to be approved by National, and National won't approve anyone without a license (and learner permits are not licenses). So in reality, people who already have a valid DL (international or not) for the car category rented would be the very few eligible to perform a driving test in a rental, although they'd give up LDW.

Of course, state laws and DMV policies matter as well and could still forbid this. But I have no doubts it will be possible in some of the less-regulated states.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:57 pm

My husband and I both took our Florida driving test on a Hertz car a few years ago. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't be allowed or to ask either Hertz or the DMV if it was a problem. We were both authorized drivers on the contract and both had existing licenses from Denmark which were part of our profile and checked by Hertz each time we picked up a rental. The inspector commented that it was a nice car and I said it was a rental. She didn't seem concerned.
aztimm and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:19 pm

I took my US driving test in a Hertz rental. I could already drive freely with my international license, but the US license would reduce insurance costs going forward. It was pretty funny to legally solo drive myself to my own driving test, and I did get a funny look from the examiner, who very much enjoyed the Cadillac XTS out of PC ultimate choice. It had the 360 top down camera which made the reverse parking exercises insanely easy.

If your overseas license means that you can legally drive in the US, then as long as you’re insured, both for CDW/LDW (US credit card usually covers this), and Liability (either through rental company, or own auto policy, or via a third party non-owned liability policy), you should be fine. I presume it would be different if your existing overseas driving license did not permit you to drive in the US.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by secamp32
If not, driver training schools will let you use their car for a fee.
So basically, rent-a-car from a driving school because taking the driving test in a rent-a-car is prohibited....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.