Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Rewards Shareholders While Continuing To Abuse Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/07/busin...cks/index.html

And this is why I have no delusions of morality about using corporate discounts codes. Tit for tat, I say.

Thanks to cookie tracking, my news feed runneth over with examples of how Hertz continues to steal from customers. Their depth of depravity is almost astonishing
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:28 pm

Rental car price not skyrocketing in most US places already. No matter tourist spots like HNL or business spots like LAX, back to precovid price for a while.

Even if the price is high, which is not, you have to remember that the industry has suffered from this pandemic since February 2020, and demand was not high until May 2021.

Given how investors’ confidence was negatively affected last year when holding HTZ, and how much money hertz corporation and investors lost during this period, and also considering recent absurd Avis stock surge, and the turbulence for the new virus variant, it is a 100% correct move for hertz to buy back their stocks. To my knowledge almost all major companies in travel industry regularly buy back stocks at least before COVID. People wining about this for example like the clown in the news link that ‘sent hertz a letter’, only proved they know nothing about how real world works
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:13 am

I'm no fan of Hertz, but I don't see why Warren should have any involvement. It's not as if Hertz accepted a government bailout (though maybe it took PPP loans), it's not a monopoly, it's not artificially raising prices because the price spikes are mainly due to car shortages, and Hertz is not headquartered in her state. I'm all for holding stopping anti-competitive practices, but I don't see that problem here.
PanAmSam and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by corolla
Rental car price not skyrocketing in most US places already. No matter tourist spots like HNL or business spots like LAX, back to precovid price for a while.

Even if the price is high, which is not, you have to remember that the industry has suffered from this pandemic since February 2020, and demand was not high until May 2021.

Given how investors’ confidence was negatively affected last year when holding HTZ, and how much money hertz corporation and investors lost during this period, and also considering recent absurd Avis stock surge, and the turbulence for the new virus variant, it is a 100% correct move for hertz to buy back their stocks. To my knowledge almost all major companies in travel industry regularly buy back stocks at least before COVID. People wining about this for example like the clown in the news link that ‘sent hertz a letter’, only proved they know nothing about how real world works
I disagree. Prices are still outrageous in many states that I have been checking lately. Way above precovid prices. Even in my area of Southern CA, where LAX, LGB, and SNA aiport rentals have prices at least doubled and even tripled of what it used to be before the pandemic.

Really not sure where you got your data from, but my personal experience with booking leisure trips in different places have yielded a MUCH different price rental than what you suggest.
Auto Enthusiast, Ordpc and Raylan like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by m907
I'm no fan of Hertz, but I don't see why Warren should have any involvement. It's not as if Hertz accepted a government bailout (though maybe it took PPP loans), it's not a monopoly, it's not artificially raising prices because the price spikes are mainly due to car shortages, and Hertz is not headquartered in her state. I'm all for holding stopping anti-competitive practices, but I don't see that problem here.
Because we need Congressional oversight of corporate wrongdoing, and Hertz's behavior is the epitome of such.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Because we need Congressional oversight of corporate wrongdoing, and Hertz's behavior is the epitome of such.
Yeah, They have shown they are great at making things cheaper.
If you don't like what Hertz is doing, then use one of the many other rental car companies. No is forced to use Hertz and the last person to be discussing economics is Warren.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rthib
Yeah, They have shown they are great at making things cheaper.
If you don't like what Hertz is doing, then use one of the many other rental car companies. No is forced to use Hertz and the last person to be discussing economics is Warren.
Nonsense. Elizabeth Warren is a law professor and one of the nation's highest regarded experts on bankruptcy, aside from leading the CFPB - so she is one of the first people who should be discussing Hertz's behavior during, and coming out of bankruptcy and its treatment of consumers. I rarely read about Avis or National's brands inflicting anywhere near the type of abusive behavior on customers that Hertz now has a very negative and frequent reputation for - so what Hertz has been doing is unique to its business, and for which it should be punished.
TXJeepGuy and Ordpc like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's not wrongdoing. It's in poor taste, but not illegal. Congress can simply ban stock buybacks. This is merely a PR stunt by Warren.
PanAmSam and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:51 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
While there were some points on topic, I'm going to close this thread as it has gotten a bit political, which is not in the spirit of this forum and especially before it goes completely off topic.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
FlyinHawaiian and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.