Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Our records indicate you have not returned the car"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Our records indicate you have not returned the car"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
- Open access or access by tickets only?
- Spike at the entrance/exit on the floor?
Tickets only. No spikes. It's a public garage.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:10 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Google streetview the garage and look for cameras.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by themishmans
Tickets only. No spikes. It's a public garage.
- Where were the tickets be placed?
- Where are the exact location of the lockbox? What kind of material is it made of?
- How many cars were returned after hours before your return?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:58 am
Suspended

you got a video, so you are safe and I am sure Hertz does have CCTV there as well. I bet someone just didn't key in the return in the system. It happens. I had once that I returned the vehicle one day late and had to show them my boarding pass from the day before and that it is impossible that I am in two locations at the same time. Turns out, someone just forgot to type the return in the computer and did it one day later probably when they realized it.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Presumably you're insured against theft anyway.

It's overwhelmingly likely that Hertz moved the car, failed to complete the return process, and is now sending you nasty e-mails when a quick walk around their lot would eventually lead them to the car.

If that's not the case, you can prove that you returned the car during the insured period, with the keys in the correct box - and so can make an insurance claim.

However, I think that's highly unlikely - Hertz have lost cars that I returned (or in one case, when I cancelled a reservation that it wouldn't let me change - IT bug - and rebooked and collected another car. Hertz gave me both cars and then lost the first one).
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:04 am

This has happened to me several times before. After a few days it always gets fixed in the system. You've given Hertz the information they requested, so just give them some time to find it. There's no need to worry unless they start coming after you legally, and in that case you have a video.
Cymro likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:54 am

Sounds like it is just a miscommunication between local office and corporate.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:34 pm

So I just got my final bill and the car is shown as returned. No phone call or contact from Hertz. I assume they found it where I left it and finally entered it into the system.
Cymro likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:57 pm

This just happened to me!

i just got a letter in the mail that its been over 2 weeks past my return day and they haven't got the car back. I returned it on time at JFK and the attendant told me I don't need to wait (there was a line). I was late for my flight to I left. No receipt. How do I prove to them I returned it? I don't have pictures or anything
Originally Posted by guycabellero
Always keep receipt, and as suggested take a photo. Once I returned a car to Hertz in CLT and a month later saw a $28,000 charge on my AMEX. I called and was told that was the cost of the car I never returned. I had the receipt, and Hertz finally they admitted the car had been rented 3 times since I returned it (which the admitted would be difficult if I had kept the car and wouldn't have happened had I not had the receipt). I hate to say how long ago this happened, but let's say you paid for your cell phone time in minutes.....
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Had Leah
i just got a letter in the mail that its been over 2 weeks past my return day and they haven't got the car back. I returned it on time at JFK and the attendant told me I don't need to wait (there was a line). I was late for my flight to I left. No receipt. How do I prove to them I returned it? I don't have pictures or anything
Too late now but always take a photo showing the mileage and surrounding area to prove it was returned. The meta data of the photo will most likely contain the location.

For now, ask them to review their security footage of the date and time in question.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
This was soon to happen to me. I returned in LAS. They had a big line of cars at the turn in and no employees checking in. Having seen this thread in the past, I knew the return was screwed up when I still had no emailed receipt when I got home from my return flight.

I was fortunate to have found the PC line number in a other thread and I called to check on rental and it shows the car hasn't been turned in. Phone agent said they would email the station to check the car in car.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
It was finally fixed when I checked it just now. I can tell they edited ticket. First they showed exact 10pm return which is what I told agent so I know they just changed that as they probably wouldn't have gotten to car till after 1030 and there were like 15 cars to check in and I didn't see agents come to 1020 and I had gotten in like 10:05.

The mileage is wrong too. I took pic of mileage when I picked up car but forgot to take pic of mileage and gas gauge upon return but have video of outside and of keys on dash. Receipt says I drove 100 something miles which I guess helps keep my average down but my actual mileage out was 600 less than what they had displayed on receipt.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:03 pm

Dropped my rental off at the airport this AM before their desks opened, around 5:50 AM. First time I've dropped a car off with no one there, and I'm getting a little nervous as they never emailed me a receipt.

Is there a drop box at airport locations (CVG)? I just saw signs that said to leave the keys in the car. I took a photo of keys underneath a gas receipt in the center console (drove less than 75 miles) and left it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.