FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   "Our records indicate you have not returned the car" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1967081-our-records-indicate-you-have-not-returned-car.html)

CloudsBelow Apr 26, 19 4:27 pm

"Our records indicate you have not returned the car"

Rented Range Rover recently from MCO.
Returned it around 10pm. No one around when i pulled into "car return area". Sign said, After 9pm, leave keys in vehicle. Somethign to that effect.
It felt odd leaving the car sitting there. Went to the Canopy area where cars are assigned as I wanted some closure on the rental.
Place was busy and the agent said she'd check it in and email me receipt.
I left.
5 days later I get an automated message from Hertz telling me the car is overdue and needs to be returned.
I've called and explained the situation to 3 different agents. No one seems overly competent nor able to do anything. They've left messages for the manager in MCO to no avail.

Any thoughts on what to do? I'm not stressed but would prefer it closed

Jaimito Cartero Apr 26, 19 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow (Post 31040908)
Rented Range Rover recently from MCO.
Returned it around 10pm. No one around when i pulled into "car return area". Sign said, After 9pm, leave keys in vehicle. Somethign to that effect.
It felt odd leaving the car sitting there. Went to the Canopy area where cars are assigned as I wanted some closure on the rental.
Place was busy and the agent said she'd check it in and email me receipt.
I left.
5 days later I get an automated message from Hertz telling me the car is overdue and needs to be returned.
I've called and explained the situation to 3 different agents. No one seems overly competent nor able to do anything. They've left messages for the manager in MCO to no avail.

Any thoughts on what to do? I'm not stressed but would prefer it closed

Reminds me of the garage scene in Ferris Bueller.

jim32190 Apr 26, 19 7:32 pm

This is why you always get a printed receipt whenever you possibly can. Only twice have I returned after hours at an airport and thankfully everything went okay but I am extremely hesitant to ever leave the vehicle unattended at a Hertz lot.

missingcolours Apr 26, 19 8:31 pm

Last time I returned to MCO in the evening they didn't check the car in until the next morning, resulting in a steep "extra day" charge despite assurances from the agent at the Gold Booth that it would not. Customer service called them and determined they had mishandled it and refunded the charge. Seems like they don't have a good handle on this "returns not staffed after 9" arrangement.

m907 Apr 27, 19 1:52 pm

Try calling the MCO location directly. They make it very difficult to speak to someone at a location rather than a call center, but keep trying.

Often1 Apr 27, 19 3:56 pm

I would treat this as a serious issue. The vehicle is likely sitting on the lot, but it could also have been taken. If it is involved in an accident, you will wind up spending a lot of time, effort & money providing that you did return the vehicle and are long gone.

Do this all when you can multi-task, let the phone sit on mute while you work on something else. It may take a long time.

CloudsBelow Apr 28, 19 9:15 pm

thanks for the tips and recs here.
blew a couple hours i'll never get back on this.
the laissez faire responses got me frustrated. Told them to find where the car is and close my bill. some manager said she'd take care of it. I asked, "how will you know when it was dropped off". she replies, " we have our ways". I say, "why don't you use those "ways" to validate a car was not returned before you start with the threatening voicemails!?"

anyways, 1 week after the car was actually dropped off, I get a receipt saying the car was checked in ~10 hours after i dropped it off. aaannnnd, of course, the miles used was listed at ~75 miles more than I dropped it off at. This triggered 75mi * 75c charge.

Hertz MCO needs to get their act together.

andyl999 Apr 30, 19 5:31 am

Slightly off topic, I prefer to use Hertz (as from my experience I am less likely to get scammed on damage) however last year I had a Gold reservation at MUC, I went up to the parking space to discover no car! I proceeded to the check out kiosk and they told me that I had already been there and taken the car, nooooo said I, she then said oh it must have been somebody with a similar name (my name is long and quite rare).

Eventually they gave me another car and later in the day I start to get Hertz emails detailing my mileage and bill. Obviously the phantom renter had returned my car, but it did get me thinking, the account is linked to my Plat Amex, what if he incurred extra charges or damaged the car?

By the way his name was nowhere near mine it only started with the same letter.

leiserom Apr 30, 19 6:08 am

I go to DSM now and then. I usually have an early AM return flight. Their counter does not open until 7 or 8 on Sundays. There is no one to check in a car. They have a drop box for the keys. Never had a problem. On the other hand I dropped off a car at the Sixt station at the Madrid airport. They said they would send me a receipt. I got it in the mail two months later(came by ship-I didn't know mail from outside the US didn't arrive on anything but airplanes any more)

LondonElite Apr 30, 19 6:12 am

Did you take a photo at drop-off? I would imagine thatís quite final as no random person can take the car out of the lot.

dgoedken Apr 30, 19 6:21 am

It's happened a few times when I've just walked away presuming the agent saw me and *thought* they were coming to my car next and the flight time was nearing...mistake. When calling they have no clue where the car is and usually takes up to 5-7 days (someone else probably rents/returns it) before it gets cleared up. Thankfully the other party didn't incur any damage.

That said, I've learned to wait for them to scan the bar code and tell them "I don't need a receipt" as it gets auto-sent once they are done and move on to the new car...the email has typically arrived before even walking across the parking lot.

Often1 Apr 30, 19 6:30 am

I would generally not advise wasting more time on the extra 75 mile charge because time is money for you as well, in this case, it is important to clear the discrepancy. Clearly somebody drove the vehicle a decent distance between drop off and check in. Whether that was simply incompetence or an employee providing a free car to someone (or not and pocketing some cash), the risk to OP is that there was an accident or some other illegal act during the time period.

While this would all likely get sorted out in the end, the fact is that it could easily involve being made part of a lawsuit or worse. Just getting rid of that can cost a great deal of time, effort and money. Best to request, in writing, a refund of the mileage overage and to clearly correct the facts in writing so that there is at least a paper trail showing that you reported this.

happy2be Apr 30, 19 7:09 am

My last rental return experience with hertz wasnít good. She was checking in car in front of me and said I could go on that she would email me receipt. She did as she told me, but there was an additional 40.00 fuel charge. What.. I filled the car and drove 4 miles to hertz return CVG. Went back & forth with customer service, provided gas receipt, which she said I drove 23 miles after filling. (She was using wrong gas station). They eventually refunded the 40.00, but Iíll make sure to get receipt from now on.

SDQBound Apr 30, 19 7:29 am

I've returned cars at DCA when they are staffed and the receipt arrives a few times later indicating I returned it late resulting in extra charges. Now every time I return I ask to have the vehicle scanned and the printed receipt if possible, most of the times the staff is nice and does it, but every 3-4 rentals I run into someone who tries to tell me that I don't have to worry. I had a big argument on sunday with the most rude Hertz agent I've ever seen, who even caused a scene in front of other customers also returning when I said that I was not willing to leave until the vehicle was scanned.

guycabellero Apr 30, 19 8:36 am

Always keep receipt, and as suggested take a photo. Once I returned a car to Hertz in CLT and a month later saw a $28,000 charge on my AMEX. I called and was told that was the cost of the car I never returned. I had the receipt, and Hertz finally they admitted the car had been rented 3 times since I returned it (which the CSA admitted would be difficult if I had kept the car and wouldn't have happened had I not had the receipt). I hate to say how long ago this happened, but let's say you paid for your cell phone time in minutes.....