Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What if they don't have your car (prepaid or points)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Specifically at a neighborhood HLE location.
I've rented a convertible before at multiple HLEs in my city who all said they often have difficulty actually getting a convertible.
I have a reservation for a convertible at an HLE booked w/points, and I understand points reservations need to be cancelled 24hr in advance to get them back.
What if they can only offer me a Chrysler 300 or something (which I don't want)--are we obligated?

Same for i.e. a prepaid airport rental--what if they technically have a car for you, but it's not similar to what you reserved? There's no way to refund a prepaid reservation from what I understand, but it wouldn't be fair if they don't have the type of car you reserved, right?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:54 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

If you accept a substitute vehicle then you probably won't be able to argue for the points back. If you don't pick up at all, you can try calling Hertz to make the case they should refund you the point, but it may require a bit of patience and teeth pulling. A better approach is to just call the location about 48 hours beforehand to confirm they have a convertible on-hand and can hold it for you, or get one there in time for your reservation pickup time. Explain that you're going a points booking that can't be cancelled so you want to make sure that the vehicle you reserved is available.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I have called before and that's what I'll do this time, but it's pretty unpredictable.
i.e. location told me they couldn't get a convertible, but day of got me a brand new Camaro convertible with delivery miles.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I had a prepaid reservation last fall (pickup at City Airport in London, dropping off at Heathrow). When I arrived they didn't have a Full Size car available, so they repriced the contract to a lower rate to reflect the smaller car they gave me.

Of course, I then had to fight with Hertz to get that credit put onto my credit card once the car was returned. Hertz customer service was terrible, several phone calls and email made no progress, even though they agreed that I should have a credit (shown on multiple receipts). After several months, I eventually had to challenge the charges with Amex, and they took the ~$91 off my bill.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:26 am

I booked a hybrid (E6) at a local HLE (pay later), but they ran didn't have it and gave me a full size instead. The manager agreed to take $15 off the weekly rental rate on the spot. I'm a PC and a regular there, so that probably helped.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: HH, SPG
Originally Posted by klanfa
I booked a hybrid (E6) at a local HLE (pay later), but they ran didn't have it and gave me a full size instead. The manager agreed to take $15 off the weekly rental rate on the spot. I'm a PC and a regular there, so that probably helped.
$15 off on a weekly? That sounds like an insult... I thought they should at least get you a premium or luxury.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by wadewei
$15 off on a weekly? That sounds like an insult... I thought they should at least get you a premium or luxury.
I considered it fair since my weekly rate was ~$100. More than enough to cover the difference in gas cost vs hybrid so just fine with me.
ng1265 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:45 pm

Well here I am on the receiving end of this once again. Not surprising since they have 2-3 hybrids in a 250-car fleet. This time the manager wasn't around; I was given a 2018 Altima 2.5 SL with 30k miles and was told "free tank of gas - bring it at whatever level" - except it's not even full (5/8). Keeping the car for 2 weeks now and at a higher rate as well, so I'm not really happy as a PC and a regular. At 1000 miles total the difference between a hybrid and an Altima will definitely be more than a half a tank of gas. Might stop by TPA to exchange or ask for an additional discount upon return/through CS after return. Any FT wisdom? What might the PC CS do in this case? Like before, I'm ok as long as I'm not any worse off due to their sad hybrid inventory. I booked 2+ weeks in advance so it's really on Hertz, not me.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:01 am

Well here I am on the receiving end of this once again. Not surprising since they have 2-3 hybrids in a 250-car fleet. This time the manager wasn't around; I was given a 2018 Altima 2.5 SL with 30k miles and was told "free tank of gas - bring it at whatever level" - except it's not even full (5/8). Keeping the car for 2 weeks now and at a higher rate as well, so I'm not really happy as a PC and a regular. At 1000 miles total the difference between a hybrid and an Altima will definitely be more than a half a tank of gas. Might stop by TPA to exchange or ask for an additional discount upon return/through CS after return. Any FT wisdom? What might the PC CS do in this case? Like before, I'm ok as long as I'm not any worse off due to their sad hybrid inventory. I booked 2+ weeks in advance so it's really on Hertz, not me.
What location was it?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:50 am

Gainesville HLE.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:37 am

Gainesville HLE.
You can definitely try to exchange it at Tampa but since it's peak season there and coming from an HLE they might not be very helpful. I'd send a message to Hertz customer service through Twitter explaining the situation and they might proactively get in touch with you to arrange an exchange.
klanfa likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by m907
You can definitely try to exchange it at Tampa but since it's peak season there and coming from an HLE they might not be very helpful. I'd send a message to Hertz customer service through Twitter explaining the situation and they might proactively get in touch with you to arrange an exchange.
Reached out and was told to contact roadside assistance to get the vehicle exchanged. Thanks for the advice!
Joonydell likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:35 am

Follow up to the last situation: Called Roadside and they were not helpful at all, they said they didn't have inventory info and that I'd have to go to a location to see what they have. Couldn't be bothered and drove less than expected so the free half tank was close enough to making me whole.
After returning that rental, I had another one the following weekend from the same HLE. Once again, no hybrid for me, and once again given an F car. Manager wasn't around so nothing was done; decided to just wait it out and deal with PC CS after return. Was given a $25 voucher for a future rental - I rent from Hertz all the time so that's as good as cash to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.