Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Denied Car Class Booked Because of Snow Tires - Where to complain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Car Class Booked Because of Snow Tires - Where to complain

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:31 am

Trax is a B4 (midsize SUV), so you got upgraded.

CS would love to hear about your free upgrade.
Auto Enthusiast and Joonydell like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Ummmwhat

Which is ludicrous because it has the same cargo volume as an Impala. But for some reason people think tall = SUV.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m907
Which is ludicrous because it has the same cargo volume as an Impala. But for some reason people think tall = SUV.
Not really - a higher class of vehicle does not necessarily mean a larger ( or even better ) car. An upgrade is where a higher category vehicle is provided

A BMW 3 series is relatively small, but was a more expensive vehicle here and classed as an upgrade from vehicles smaller than it.
Ummmwhat likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not really - a higher class of vehicle does not necessarily mean a larger ( or even better ) car. An upgrade is where a higher category vehicle is provided

A BMW 3 series is relatively small, but was a more expensive vehicle here and classed as an upgrade from vehicles smaller than it.
I wasn't referring to where they place it in the class structure (upgrade/downgrade), I was referring to them calling it a midsize SUV. It's not really an SUV and even if it is, definitely not a midsize one. National classifies the Ford EcoSport as a compact full-size rather than an SUV, and that's how Hertz should treat this car IMO.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:47 pm

I wasn't referring to where they place it in the class structure (upgrade/downgrade), I was referring to them calling it a midsize SUV. It's not really an SUV and even if it is, definitely not a midsize one. National classifies the Ford EcoSport as a compact full-size rather than an SUV, and that's how Hertz should treat this car IMO.
Really, it doesn't matter how you think Hertz should treat it, what matters is how Hertz treats it

If it is a higher category ( or same level category ) as the Jetta, then Hertz did not do anything wrong
Auto Enthusiast and Ummmwhat like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hertz President Circle, National Executive Elite.
With multiple battles with CS, I can tell you that you got an upgrade and that's how CS will see it. Had you booked the car a bit further in advance and the only thing there was the Jetta with snow tires and you were denied a car all together, then it would be a problem. The OP has fallen victim to the belief that they're intitled to what they see on the ready lines as if the same car possibly couldn't have been booked by someone else with a far more advance reservation. What the location gave regardless of opinion was an upgrade from a D to a B4 which is just a 2WD version of a Q4 classed car. Bottom line, save your breath.
Auto Enthusiast and Ummmwhat like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:16 am

Really, it doesn't matter how you think Hertz should treat it, what matters is how Hertz treats it

If it is a higher category ( or same level category ) as the Jetta, then Hertz did not do anything wrong
What if Hertz classified a VW Beetle as a luxury car? Does it really not matter?
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Ummmwhat

This is operating under the assumption that an SUV always constitutes an upgrade from a sedan, something I'd disagree with. I suppose an argument can be made that a midsize SUV should be considered an upgrade from a midsize sedan, but should a B4 be considered an "upgrade" from an I reservation (Luxury sedan)? I certainly wouldn't think so. This was from a Standard (D) sedan reservation, so, for it to be an upgrade, it should at least be to a vehicle in the same position or higher in the SUV heirarchy than the Standard is in the sedan heirarchy, which would be to a F4 or better.
strickerj, klanfa and m907 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Rental_Guy
Had you booked the car a bit further in advance
What makes you think the OP didn't book well in advance? Not clear that would matter anyway...

the same car possibly couldn't have been booked by someone else with a far more advance reservation
If you read the OP's post, the Hertz rep was willing to give them the Jetta with snow tires, but wanted an upcharge, so it clearly wasn't an issue of availability.

What the location gave regardless of opinion was an upgrade from a D to a B4 which is just a 2WD version of a Q4 classed car.
Again, this is hardly a case where it's obvious this was an upgrade. If it was to an F4/L, then pretty clearly would have been an upgrade, but it was to an vehicle that's cheaper than the vehicle the OP had booked, with less passenger leg and shoulder room for both front and back seat passengers. It can't be the case that ANY upgrade from sedan to SUV constitutes an upgrade.
SoroSuub1 and m907 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
What makes you think the OP didn't book well in advance? Not clear that would matter anyway...

If you read the OP's post, the Hertz rep was willing to give them the Jetta with snow tires, but wanted an upcharge, so it clearly wasn't an issue of availability.

Again, this is hardly a case where it's obvious this was an upgrade. If it was to an F4/L, then pretty clearly would have been an upgrade, but it was to an vehicle that's cheaper than the vehicle the OP had booked, with less passenger leg and shoulder room for both front and back seat passengers. It can't be the case that ANY upgrade from sedan to SUV constitutes an upgrade.
If we're being concise, None of the fleet company's even categorized by the vehicle's actual class. The Volkswagen Jett is considered a compact car, but at Hertz is considered a standard size car and likewise at Avis is considered a midsize car. Price doesn't necessarily have much to do with the class of vehicle is in, the Camry, Kia optima, Altima, and Subaru legacy's case, they're spread across the board in price.
I've driven both the Jetta, and the Trax, and they're basically the same interior room.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:00 am

If we're being concise, None of the fleet company's even categorized by the vehicle's actual class. The Volkswagen Jett is considered a compact car, but at Hertz is considered a standard size car and likewise at Avis is considered a midsize car. Price doesn't necessarily have much to do with the class of vehicle is in, the Camry, Kia optima, Altima, and Subaru legacy's case, they're spread across the board in price. I've driven both the Jetta, and the Trax, and they're basically the same interior room.
Similar interior room, but a few inches less legroom in both front and back in the Trax. Still wondering what makes you think that a Trax is so obviously an upgrade from a Jetta that it doesn't even merit discussion.

No comment on the other points?
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:02 pm

What if Hertz classified a VW Beetle as a luxury car? Does it really not matter?
No - it doesn't ; if Hertz as a company wishes to classify it in that way , it could - if booking a luxury car, then check what Hertz classes as luxury

It is a pointless argument since Hertz has not done so

Regardless , it was still a vehicle which had an additional charge item and may well be that it keeps vehicles with snow tyres for those that need/book them. As long as it gave a vehicle in a suitable csategory, it met its obligations.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:12 pm

Similar interior room, but a few inches less legroom in both front and back in the Trax. Still wondering what makes you think that a Trax is so obviously an upgrade from a Jetta that it doesn't even merit discussion.

No comment on the other points?
Well unfortunately that's un upgrade in Hertz eyes, and they're a business so I'm not quite sure what you're expecting me to say since it's not my job to convince you otherwise.

The OP mentioned that they booked the car while on the inbound flight to the facility, which basically means probably a 2 hour noticed I'd assume.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:43 pm

Regardless , it was still a vehicle which had an additional charge item and may well be that it keeps vehicles with snow tyres for those that need/book them.
In this case, they weren't keeping that vehicle for anyone, or any other booking, they were just trying to extract additional revenue from a customer who simply wanted what they had paid for.

As long as it gave a vehicle in a suitable csategory, it met its obligations.
Which I would argue it did not. Rankings within sedans, and hence what constitutes an upgrade, are clear (Economy<Compact<Intermediate/Midsize<Standard<Fullsize<Premium<Luxury). Rankings within SUVs are generally clear. Path between the two, and what constitutes an upgrade vs. a downgrade, is definitely not defined.

Again, would you consider a B4 an upgrade from a Luxury (I) reservation?
strickerj and m907 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:55 pm

Well unfortunately that's un upgrade in Hertz eyes,
What source do you have that defines what the ranking of SUV and sedan categories is for upgrades? I haven't seen anything to that effect, and I would certainly not view an SUV built on the platform of the Compact class to be an upgrade over anything other than a Compact or economy sedan. Again, not all SUVs could be considered "upgrades" over sedans, otherwise someone who booked a Luxury (I) sedan would be being "upgraded" if they were given a Trax instead, which is an absurd outcome.

The OP mentioned that they booked the car while on the inbound flight to the facility, which basically means probably a 2 hour noticed I'd assume.
You are correct about the inbound flight, I misread that.
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.