Wiki Posts
Search

First time renting a car, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:12 am
Original Poster

First time renting a car, advice needed

Hi,

I live in India and I am an Indian citizen, this will be the first time I rent a car outside India, I need advise on Insurance and damage claims.

I will be traveling to the USA on August first week. I plan to do some promotion work by visiting a list of factories around California, also a bit of sight seeing when time permits. For this I plan to rent a car from Hertz or any other suitable rental company, in Los Angeles, preferably near Westwood or Pico. I would be paying via credit card.

However I need to know some basic information on the kind of insurance coverage required. I am covered for personal injury abroad, I have a travel insurance as well as my personal medical insurance. I do not have any other kinds of insurance like personal liability etc., nor does my credit card offer any such features.

I need to know what other insurance coverages I will require if I get involved in an accident in the USA.

From studying the hertz website I found these basic Insurance coverages they offer.

1. Loss & Damage Waiver (LDW)

This coverage is required when the car is damaged, lost etc. As per Hertz website..."*However Hertz offers Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) an optional service, which for an additional daily charge relieves you of all financial responsibility for the loss or damage to the rental car, whether or not you have insurance to cover such damage, provided the car is used in accordance with the terms of the Rental Agreement.*"

So do this mean the car is fully covered?? I do not have to pay for anything in case of loss??

I also gathered from the internet that a personal liability insurance would also be required, this comes in play when another person makes a claim against me in case of an accident. Hertz offers something like this but I am not sure whether its personal liability insurance.

I got this extract from the Hertz site....

"*Hertz' liability protection is secondary to any other insurance coverage available to you. If you do not have liability insurance and/or the limits of liability of the insurance coverage available to you are not sufficient to cover claims by others against you, and Hertz, as the vehicle owner, provides liability protection due to an accident, you will indemnify Hertz for any and all payments made.

However, Hertz makes available additional liability protection, which is primary, if the optional Liability Insurance Supplement, LIS, is purchased.

**Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS)**

Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS) provides coverage for you and other authorized operators of your rental vehicle for third party claims.

LIS is primary protection to customer’s personal policy and provides the first $1,000,000.00 of combined bodily injury and/or property damage protection for each occurrence regardless of the state in which the accident occurs. On rentals in California and Florida the maximum combined single limit is $2,000,000.00 for liability protection only*."

Is the above insurance coverage sufficient for damages occurring to third persons?? What about damage to public/private property ?? Is this also covered??

Your inputs would be appreciated.

thanks
a
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:16 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

In order to be adequately covered, you will need LDW and LIS. You can either purchase these at the rental counter, or you can set your home country to India on the Hertz website and you will likely be offered a choice of all-inclusive rates that include just LDW or LDW and LIS (plus Personal Effects Coverage as well). Example:

If you'd like us to help you get the rate down with the all-inclusive options, feel free to PM us.
m907, strickerj, jason8612 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

thanks for the reply.

is the LDW and LIS enough for damages to the car in case of accidents ?? Do I need to get additonal protection ??

also is the LIS enough for compensations claims/damages made to property ??

thanks
a
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't forget to check Hertz rules for driving license and credit cards for USA rentals.

You might also want to check basic driving laws for states in which you will be driving, for example regarding cell phone use, radar detectors, seat belt use, etc. as these rules might be different from what you expect in India. Look also at standard road signs.

Think about whether you want to rent a car that includes navigation technology. [Air conditioning, power steering/brakes including antilock brakes, and at least a basic radio are standard on USA rentals.] California generally shouldn't have toll roads, but if you're driving where there are expressway and bridge tolls, a transponder such as easypass can save time.

I don't know whether this can be confirmed in a reservation or just requested, but more expensive cars now have various driving assistance technologies that might be useful for a first time USA driver. I'm especially thinking of the collision and lane warning systems that could help someone who is accustomed to driving on the wrong side of the road.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:51 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by arbj
thanks for the reply.

is the LDW and LIS enough for damages to the car in case of accidents ?? Do I need to get additonal protection ??

also is the LIS enough for compensations claims/damages made to property ??

thanks
a
LDW will cover the entire cost of the rental car. LIS will cover any damage you do to other's property or injuries you cause up to $1M. These coverages will not cover any medical bills you or your passengers incur as a result of an accident. That would be PAI (Personal Accident Insurance). They will also not cover any items that are stolen from the vehicle. That would be PEP or PEC (Personal Effects Policy/Coverage). It's up to you whether you feel you need these coverages.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks AutoSlash for the information it is clear for me now.

Don't forget to check Hertz rules for driving license and credit cards for USA rentals.

You might also want to check basic driving laws for states in which you will be driving, for example regarding cell phone use, radar detectors, seat belt use, etc. as these rules might be different from what you expect in India. Look also at standard road signs.
Thanks for the tip...

Apart from the Indian driving license I will have with me an international driving permit in a format suitable for USA. I will also be taking some driving orientation courses with an instructor before actually going solo. The courses would include freeway driving, driving in cities (road sign identification) also some basic training for road signs etc.

thanks
​​​​​​​a
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:11 pm

I had the great privilege of visiting India almost 2 years ago. Key words to drive by here: Maintain lane discipline. We don't drive on the shoulder or with the car partially deviating from your lane. Tolls and parking fees are much higher than the 55 rupees- $1 equivalent common there. Payment systems tend to be cashless and automated. Police enforcement of all traffic rules here is much more strict than you might be used to.
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

I had the great privilege of visiting India almost 2 years ago. Key words to drive by here: Maintain lane discipline. We don't drive on the shoulder or with the car partially deviating from your lane. Tolls and parking fees are much higher than the 55 rupees- $1 equivalent common there. Payment systems tend to be cashless and automated. Police enforcement of all traffic rules here is much more strict than you might be used to.
Glad to know you visited India, I hope you took back happy memories. Visiting India can be quite a mixed experience for some people, and also a nightmare for some.

Thanks for the information. In India driving is very different as you have rightly pointed out..I will opt for the automated toll payment option that is offered by many rental companies.

thanks
a
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apart from the Indian driving license I will have with me an international driving permit in a format suitable for USA. I will also be taking some driving orientation courses with an instructor before actually going solo. The courses would include freeway driving, driving in cities (road sign identification) also some basic training for road signs etc.​​​
The big difference with be left hand drive vs right hand drive.
Need to be careful when making a left or right turn that you do not go into the wrong lane (to oncoming traffic)
Have you driven LHD before?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:40 am

I will opt for the automated toll payment option that is offered by many rental companies.

FlyerTalk has some excellent threads comparing the various methods each company offers. Also keep in mind that the US has a lot of one-way car rentals. So it's possible your car might not have a toll pass, or have a toll pass from a different region that is incompatible with local systems.

For instance, I recently visited Austin, TX and rented from Budget from downtown for one day. The Nissan Altima they assigned me had IL plates. IL uses EzPass, but TX uses TxTag. They are not compatible. Luckily, I saw the Velcro strips on the windshield where the old EzPass swing box was removed, and a new TxTag switch transponder was mounted instead. When I returned the car, I noticed there was a Ford Escape with obnoxious yellow NJ plates. It must have come recently, because, you guessed it, the locally useless EzPass was still there.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Glad to know you visited India, I hope you took back happy memories. Visiting India can be quite a mixed experience for some people, and also a nightmare for some.

Thanks for the information. In India driving is very different as you have rightly pointed out..I will opt for the automated toll payment option that is offered by many rental companies.

thanks
a
India has always been fascinating to me - I've gone for both work and pleasure. Driving styles are obviously *very* different. My Indian friends here in the States said the hardest adjustment for them was the speed and vastness of space. They'd grown up in Hyderabad or Delhi, very used to city traffic (and what appears to a Westerner as total chaos!), learning to drive on both a motorcycle and in a car. What was saw as nightmare traffic was normal to them, and when they first drove a rental car on a U.S. freeway with everyone doing 80 MPH, it was a bit scary.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The big difference with be left hand drive vs right hand drive.
Need to be careful when making a left or right turn that you do not go into the wrong lane (to oncoming traffic)
Have you driven LHD before?
I don't know if this is just me, but I seem to adjust to opposite-side driving fairly quickly. Takes a few moments to get used to a stick shift in my left hand, but after that the bigger adjustments for me are the local driving styles (e.g. if it's mostly roundabouts instead of traffic signals). The good thing for someone new to U.S. driving is that every rental car here is an automatic. Might be a sadly underpowered automatic, but automatic nonetheless.

The orientation course is a great idea. I didn't even know that existed. I can't even begin to imagine how much training I'd need to learn to drive in India!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.