Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Rental and Credit Card Coverage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Reward Rental and Credit Card Coverage

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding of the LDW offered by credit card companies.
I am going to redeem hertz points for a weekly rental.
Therefore I will only need to pay taxes or other airport surcharges with my card.
I have Canadian platinum Visa and Amex Cobalt card.
Does anyone know if I am still covered under credit card CDW?

In addition, I heard that some U.S credit cards do not cover rewards rental when people use frequent renter reward points and have to buy LDW/CDW

I am still waiting for answers from credit card companies (thorough email-more secure way to know the truth) but I would like to hear more stories from travelers.

FYI, Canadian Amex website does not even have a policy or insurance certificate page

Please share your experience here
Thank You
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:00 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

There is constant debate on this topic. Some folks say that unless you put the full amount of the rental on your card, everything is null and void. We've heard that even using say one free day coupon is verboten. At the other end of the spectrum, other folks say that as long as you put something/anything on the card like minimal taxes/fees, it's good enough to trigger the LDW coverage. There are other theories that fit in-between those extremes, but a lot of it is conjecture.

I can say with certainty that an AutoSlash employee had a rental on free day certificates. I think it was a 7-day rental and he was to use 7 free certificates. The rental was on his Amex card which had the Amex Premium Car Rental Protection (PCRP) which charges your card $24.95 for insurance for the duration of the rental. He ended up backing into a guardrail and doing some damage. On return, he only handed in 6 certificates and had Hertz charge him for 1 of the 7 days which triggered the coverage. Long story short, they paid out no problem. Totally different situation than you, but just one data point as an example.

At the end of the day, the policies for each card may be a bit different. I would take anything someone says with a grain of salt and get it directly from the credit card company (in writing if possible). That is the only way you can be certain.
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In the terms of my AMEX Plat, issued in the Netherlands, it clearly says the insurance is valid on all cash bookings or point redemptions as long as taxes/hold is on the AMEX card.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jizen
Does anyone know if I am still covered under credit card CDW?
It is not a simple question, as many things can impact the answer.

So by just saying as little information as OP is not going to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.