Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at HNL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at HNL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Note for you with open rentals; the rental car companies are in the process of moving into the new consolidated rental center at the far (towards Diamond Head) end of the parking garage. As of this date, the Hertz desk and cars are in the old location in the main parking garage, but the returns are done in the new side. So, when you get off the H-1 exit, get over to the far left as soon as you can and follow the signs carefully and note that the Hertz return is on the second floor. To get to the terminal, take the escalators or elevators down to the first (street) level and then walk across the street to the main terminal or walk to the old counter to get a shuttle to the interisland terminal.

As for upgrades, I purposely rented a C class car (expecting a PC upgrade to an FCAR) because I didn't want too nice or flashy a vehicle as I like to visit some local beaches and prefer to get cars that blend in better with the locals'.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: Accor Platnium, Delta Platnium, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mt0916
FCAR reservation as a PC member. Arrived 10am on a weekday. No wait at the counter, was assigned a QX60. Very happy w/ the experience!
I also got a QX60 on F reservation with no wait at the counter and was on my way quickly. I had re-booked the day before cutting my total in half so even more happy with it.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:40 pm

No complains for me. The rates where sky high. The cheapest option for me was a managers special. We just needed a car for 3 days.
When i got to the gold counter ( i am a PC member ) the lady gave me the keys of a Chevy Camaro SS. Happy!
Old Nov 28, 2021, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dutchy89
No complains for me. The rates where sky high. The cheapest option for me was a managers special. We just needed a car for 3 days.
When i got to the gold counter ( i am a PC member ) the lady gave me the keys of a Chevy Camaro SS. Happy!
Wow awesome! One of the extremely rare instances where "Manager's Special" actually turned out to be a good car, not just the least desirable hunk-o-junk they couldn't get rid of
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:20 pm

The new rental car center opened Wednesday and UC as the only choice now. Generally view this as a downgrade as cars they put in PC/5S/gold at least as of now are worse than preassigned ones. It's usually F/G with some Edge/flex/new pathfinder in UC right now. Of course from this Wednesday they've been busy too so might be a reason
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:35 am

Arrived yesterday (New Year's Day) around 1600. The new CONRAC is beautiful and much nicer than the two previous iterations of Hertz. Very easy to walk across the roadway from the UA baggage claim area and then up the escalator one floor to where all of the on-site companies have their desks. The Hertz lot is on the same (second floor) and for Gold Members, there's a separate Gold Booth inside the garage (kinda like SFO). The Gold Booth agent will validate your Hawaii Safe Travels status (I showed my wristband from UA) and then process your credit card and check your Driver's License before issuing you a partial reservation ticket. You show the ticket to the Hertz agent at the exit booth along with your Driver's License.

PC was basically a Nissan showroom; I didn't see one non-Nissan vehicle there. For sedans, it was Sentra, Altima, and Maxima and for SUV, it was Rogues and Muranos. Various trim levels from Base to SL were present (I didn't see any Platinums). I took an L 2021 Murano SL AWD with 2,600 miles on it.

Ordpc and Gurukid6729 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:52 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Hi did you see any convertibles/V8 cars in the reserved section or the Premium upgrades section? The rates for this month at HNL look inexpensive and wondering what chances are of upgrades 35/day
Ordpc likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 2, 2022 at 10:17 am Reason: removed quote
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:19 am

I spotted a few Mustang convertibles; they, along with Jeep Wranglers, are the ubiquitous tourist car for Hawaii, Over in the Premium Upgrade section were a few Porsche Cayenne SUV. I don't bother asking about upgrades when I am in Hawaii; my goal is to blend in.
Ordpc and Gertjaars like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 2, 2022 at 10:27 am
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:17 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thank you! I though the car rental shortage was still an issue in HNL and there would be no upgrades/convertibles available. How is the weather during this time? Are the cars still sealed with the yellow Hertz clean guarantee circle sticker?
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I spotted a few Mustang convertibles; they, along with Jeep Wranglers, are the ubiquitous tourist car for Hawaii, Over in the Premium Upgrade section were a few Porsche Cayenne SUV. I don't bother asking about upgrades when I am in Hawaii; my goal is to blend in.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:50 pm

The current weather is typical for January; it rained for most of today with scattered thunderstorms (and there was a flood watch for most of this morning). It stopped raining about an hour ago and the sun is out. It will probably rain a bit tomorrow and then be relatively nice for a few days. Yes, all the cars in the PC area I saw had the yellow seal on the driver's door (I just open the passenger side door to peek inside to check mileage and trim)
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:24 am

I'm new to PC (never used it before) and have a trip through HNL at the beginning of February. Currently have a Priceline reservation for a Hertz F. I attached my Gold Plus Rewards # to the reservation and I can pull it up on the Hertz site. Does that typically mean the benefits should work? I know third-party reservations can sometimes mess with things.

And seeing the recent posts, it looks like you just go to the new CONRAC and walk to the Gold booth in the garage?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by harrychu
I'm new to PC (never used it before) and have a trip through HNL at the beginning of February. Currently have a Priceline reservation for a Hertz F. I attached my Gold Plus Rewards # to the reservation and I can pull it up on the Hertz site. Does that typically mean the benefits should work? I know third-party reservations can sometimes mess with things.

And seeing the recent posts, it looks like you just go to the new CONRAC and walk to the Gold booth in the garage?

If you can see it on your hertz profile then that means it's been added succesfully and you'd have access to UC.
I used to do it all the time with autoslash's reservations as some of them are via priceline.

If you reserved intermediate or larger up to fullsize you get access to ultimate choice based on your status.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by YYZtoHKG
If you can see it on your hertz profile then that means it's been added succesfully and you'd have access to UC.
I used to do it all the time with autoslash's reservations as some of them are via priceline.

If you reserved intermediate or larger up to fullsize you get access to ultimate choice based on your status.
When I log into my Hertz account, it doesn't show any upcoming reservations. But if I actually search for the reservation (using the confirmation number) while logged in, it shows up. Would that make any difference? It seems like it's working. And yeah, I used Autoslash to find this one on Priceline.

Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:24 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

When I log into my Hertz account, it doesn't show any upcoming reservations. But if I actually search for the reservation (using the confirmation number) while logged in, it shows up. Would that make any difference? It seems like it's working. And yeah, I used Autoslash to find this one on Priceline.

Thanks for the info!
If you don't see the reservation when logged into your Hertz account, then it's likely that your Hertz member number wasn't applied.

We'd be happy to investigate. Please PM us the following:

- Your Hertz reservation number
- Your last name
- Your Hertz Gold member number

We'll troubleshoot it and see if we can get it fixed for you.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:58 pm

Thanks for the info!
Try use hertz website instead. The reservation confirmation page is different for non members and members. Hertz reservation don't show up all the time, not a big deal, but usually happen when you have 30 reservations or so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.