Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ one-way rentals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

YYZ one-way rentals

In August, I had a Hertz one-way rental from YYZ to BUF.

I want to do the same thing again in December, but I am getting an 'all cars are sold out at this location'. It is specifically related to the one-way rental, so I emailed Hertz to ask if this was a technical error.

The reply that I received was, "Hello, Unfortunately they are not allows their vehicles to be returned to a different location. We apologize for the inconvenience." [sic]

Does anyone know if this is an actual policy change? The length and clarity of the response makes me wonder if this was just the quickest answer they could send without actually researching the issue. It just seems odd as this would be a way to get USA cars back into their home country, which is what they assigned me the last time.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:41 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

What it basically means is that they are not allowing one-way rentals between those locations at this time. It could be because they have an imbalance with too many Canadian cars in the U.S. and not enough demand from renters to return them, or it could be due to other reasons. It's fairly common to see this.

It looks like Enterprise, National, Alamo, Avis and Budget are all allowing one-ways from Canada to the U.S. at this time. We suggest you book one of those companies and check as the pickup date gets closer to see if availability for Hertz opens up.

One note... You may want to check for a pickup off-airport as it may be less expensive than YYZ due to lower taxes/fees.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:13 pm

One way to tell (pun intended) if there's an imbalance is if the reverse IS allowed, especially for an unusually low rate for the route.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: marriott,spg gold,aa,alaska
I am getting the same message for any one way rental in Canada to Canada for every search I have done. No one way rentals in Canada and I have looked at several different locations across Canada and tried several different dates from 2019 to 2020. Its either an IT issue or a major policy change which renders their points program moot, for one way rentals in Canada. Customer service is clueless.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by kiwimagic
I am getting the same message for any one way rental in Canada to Canada for every search I have done. No one way rentals in Canada and I have looked at several different locations across Canada and tried several different dates from 2019 to 2020. Its either an IT issue or a major policy change which renders their points program moot, for one way rentals in Canada. Customer service is clueless.
I had no problem at all finding availability with Hertz for a YYZ-YUL rental in September. What locations/dates are you searching?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: marriott,spg gold,aa,alaska
However I am trying to use my Hertz Rewards points, ie 1500 for a 1 day rental from YVR to YYC. I have tried several different dates from YYZ to various Canadian airports and all return the following quote "There are no rewards currently available for your date/time /location. I have used google, firefox and internet explorer all with the same results
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:19 pm

They are just not allowing reward points for the one-way rental you are seeking. Your browser has nothing to do with it. The ability to use reward points are always at their discretion. You'll just have to rent for cash on this one and save your points for a future rental. Not much you can do about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.