Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can you swap cars once your rental has begun?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you swap cars once your rental has begun?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by MikeUK84
Collected a car to drive cross country with from PHL today. As previous reports, it was almost entirely Korean cars in Presidents Circle. There was one brand new Sonata with 1000 miles on it, and a selection of Altimas and Camry’s too. Then there were a few small Chevy and GMC SUVs.

We were really hoping for a Mustang or Camaro but realised it was a long shot at PHL. The lady in the Gold Counter was fairly unhelpful when I asked about whether there were likely to be any american cars giving a fairly corporate answer, but she was polite enough. One of the guys brought round a GMC Acadia SLT as I was looking around. It was high mileage (40,000) but actually surprisingly tidy and high spec (working XM Radio, Apple Car Play, Wifi, Nav, BOSE, leather). 6 hours into the drive now and getting 30 US MPG. Bit of a wobble on the wheel under load, and it’s not far off needing a service so might see if I can swap to something more fancy in Las Vegas next week if the wobble gets worse!
I wouldn’t wait that long I’d go to the next big city and swap the car for another..
I even had them tow a replacement car to me at my hotel once and pick up the defective one
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I wouldn’t wait that long I’d go to the next big city and swap the car for another..
I even had them tow a replacement car to me at my hotel once and pick up the defective one
Not ever had to return a car in the US. What’s the best practice? Ring the place you’re going to return to first or just turn up to returns?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 20, 2022 at 6:33 am Reason: split out of PHL thread to keep that one on topic and also let others not renting at PHL to know about swapping result
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Not ever had to return a car in the US. What’s the best practice? Ring the place you’re going to return to first or just turn up to returns?
I would call the Roadside Assistance number in your Hertz contract

Link:

https://www.hertz.jo/rentacar/produc...nited%20States
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:30 pm

Is that a one-way cross country? If so, locations along the way could be reluctant to swap you into their prized inventory that they'll never see again. Expect another high mileage worn car in exchange.
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Is that a one-way cross country? If so, locations along the way could be reluctant to swap you into their prized inventory that they'll never see again. Expect another high mileage worn car in exchange.
I don’t think a corporate location would have any concern at all
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:32 pm

Even corporate locations, which most are, like to keep the nice cars for their own customers.
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:46 pm

Even corporate locations, which most are, like to keep the nice cars for their own customers.
If they tried to offer another high mileage vehicle once again (if I was in the same situation as the OP) I would say would you want me to have the same issue in next city? It’s dangerous to drive. I think that will get them off the dime to give you a better car
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:36 am

If they tried to offer another high mileage vehicle once again (if I was in the same situation as the OP) I would say would you want me to have the same issue in next city? It’s dangerous to drive. I think that will get them off the dime to give you a better car
And ultimately they didn’t ‘offer’ it to me as such anyway. I could have taken a 1000 mile old Sonata, but we wanted something bigger for the trip which is why we (stupidly) took the GMC. I think Philly in general though seems to put fairly average cars in their PC area.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:09 pm

Just as an update, I called roadside assistance and swapped the car at Austin. Service there was great, and they had a great selection of cars in PC. I took a red 22MY Mustang EcoBoost with 1700miles on the clock
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:11 am

Just as an update, I called roadside assistance and swapped the car at Austin. Service there was great, and they had a great selection of cars in PC. I took a red 22MY Mustang EcoBoost with 1700miles on the clock
Nice to hear, I didn’t think you would go that far
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:34 am

Nice to hear, I didn’t think you would go that far
There wasn’t going to be many places in the first couple of days we could have swapped, and we lived with the issue for Tennessee where it wasn’t actually that bad on slower roads. It was a pita on the faster Texas roads though, hence rang up on the way to Austin.

Given the poor selection at PHL I was also a bit nervous of ending up with something even worse! Thankfully that wasn’t the case and the service at AUS was actually really good. A complete contrast in every way to PHL.

Mustang looks great in NM too!

Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:56 am

Mustang looks great in NM too!
Nice photo! Enjoy
Ordpc likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 21, 2022 at 4:53 am Reason: shortened quote
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I don’t think a corporate location would have any concern at all
I agree with Auto Enthusiast that they like to keep certain vehicles. I recently asked to be upgraded to a Suburban and was specifically asked if I was returning to their location or not. Not sure I would have been upgraded if I hadn't said yes (which I was anyway). I may have still received a Suburban if I was doing a one-way, but most likely would not have been the 2022 I had inquired about.

Congrats OP on the nice upgrade upon swapping vehicles. Anytime I swapped due to issues, I had to take a vehicle ONLY from my booked class, not my chosen class from PC.
Ordpc and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
One way rentals are prime candidates to offload the unwanted inventory. Expect the worst car on the lot unless you booked a very specific vehicle.

I would be very hesitant to rent a vehicle form any car rental if the vehicle has 40,000 miles. A well loved lease return with 40,000 miles could be a good option. For cross country drives the vehicle with the least number of miles has advantages.

Rhetorical, but I avoid the performance vehicles personally due to the noise and the ride. I feel bad when the rental location hands over the keys to a brand new Dodge Challenger but I opt for the minivan...
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
One way rentals are prime candidates to offload the unwanted inventory. Expect the worst car on the lot unless you booked a very specific vehicle.

I would be very hesitant to rent a vehicle form any car rental if the vehicle has 40,000 miles. A well loved lease return with 40,000 miles could be a good option. For cross country drives the vehicle with the least number of miles has advantages.

Rhetorical, but I avoid the performance vehicles personally due to the noise and the ride. I feel bad when the rental location hands over the keys to a brand new Dodge Challenger but I opt for the minivan...
I’m PC and there was no specific vehicle assigned. I could have taken a 1000 mile old Hyundai Sonata, but a Korean saloon is not the kind of car to do a US roadtrip in. Honestly there was no attempt to stop me from taking anything. It’s just the selection in PHL was rubbish.

The Mustang was great. It’s not a ‘sports car’ in its base form as available from US rental companies. The Ford standard suspension tune there is super soft springs and very compliant compression damping. 18in wheels further help. It rides/handles closer to something like a Jag XF than the Mustangs we get in Europe which are all on 20s with the more driver oriented dynamics. I took it up Angels Crest Highway in LA and it was amusing to throw around but very, very soft and lazy.

Bear in mind too that my cars back in the U.K. are a Ford Fiesta ST and a Porsche Cayman so pretty much any US spec car feels like a Range Rover by comparison!
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.