Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can you swap cars once your rental has begun?

Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm wondering if I pick up a car to begin a six-day reservation, can I go back the next day and get a different car (in the same category?)
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:51 pm

Yes - it's no problem to do a swap.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Just make sure you fill the gas tank.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
You can even do it at another location, if both your original rental location and the location you're swapping at are both corporate.

You might get the evil eye (or outright denied) if you try it at a small HLE, though. Airports, and especially larger airports with big selections, are best for this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:07 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Just keep in mind that the ability to swap is not a right. It is done at the discretion of the location management. They will likely ask you why you want to swap. Probably best to be prepared with an answer other than:

- I want to try something different
- I just don't like this one
- I want to see if you have something better than what I've got now

Last edited by AutoSlash; Oct 18, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I agree with AutoSlash that you should have a valid reason.

Some reaoning i have used in the past with both National and Hertz.

1) only large SUVs (Expeditions, Tahoes, etc) were on the aisle. Most of my time was going to be spent in NYC, and I preferred not to pay the oversized rate in the garages. After my meetings for the day, I'd return to the lot to see if any sedans were available. I always spoke to the staff before leaving with the SUV to make sure this was acceptable.

2) no SUVs were available and I had to pick up individuals with luggage later in the week. I'd take the sedan and return later to see if a SUV was available. again, I always spoke with the staff before leaving with the sedan.

3) wanting a Convertible (Camero ,Mustang) for a portion of a holiday, but needing a sedan/SUV when other guests of the holiday arrived. Again, I'd inform the staff of my intentions and was typically told it would be no problem. On one occurrence, I was told it wouldn't be possible and I took a different vehicle.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

wow, great info from everyone. the collective knowledge of FT'ers is invaluable.
thank you all very much!!
Old May 30, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Swapping cars mid-rental

Im currently in a brand new challenger on a D2 about to leave on a long trip next week... Can I call Hertz MCO (Pickup location) and ask about swapping into a mustang within the same class? Nothing wrong with this car but really not thrilled when the driving experience compared to a mustang or camaro...
Old May 30, 2020, 5:42 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here’s an older thread that may be of help: Can you swap cars once your rental has begun?
Old May 30, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mcdonoughdr
Im currently in a brand new challenger on a D2 about to leave on a long trip next week... Can I call Hertz MCO (Pickup location) and ask about swapping into a mustang within the same class? Nothing wrong with this car but really not thrilled when the driving experience compared to a mustang or camaro...
They'll never pick up the phone, but tell them it shakes at speed or something to that extent. They won't exchange it solely for preference. Also, consider availability. Most locations have slim pickings. There's no guarantee they'll have that class of car.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:37 pm

Is this the Challenger R/T (says Hemi on the side of the car) or the V6?

I thought Hertz only had Mustang Ecoboosts for D2 class, at least for last year.
Old May 31, 2020, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Nothing wrong with this car...
Sure there is. Just try harder to find it!

NetJets pilots used to be experts at finding "unable to reproduce on ground" squawks when they didn't want to fly.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:51 am

FLL had a car that just blew hot air no matter the setting on A/C but it took like 2 minutes before it happened and then you couldn't get cold air. Shut the car off and process started over. Took it back 14 hours after pickup and had to prove an issue with the car. I had to insist they sit in the car for two minutes.
PC and took the car from PC but they insisted I could only take from full size or lower. Sorry don't remember the car types, just the aggravation.
Auto Enthusiast and anteater like this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 3:28 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others

I went ahead and merged this question with a similar thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:51 pm

Wow. Wow. Wow. I'm late to the party with this post, but after reviewing this thread and attempting to swap a problem Hertz car at EWR...what a .[mess]

I drove up midway through a week long rental, wanting to exchange my mid size SUV with one that didn't shake or smell. Upon reaching the counter, I described the problem (described the shaking only) and I was asked for a case number. A what? I was told that need to call the number listed on the jacket that was listed for "Emergency Roadside Service" and fill in a three part Vehicle Incident Report. The form was designed for reporting an accident, complete with a section for police report and a request to describe the the incident. I went back to the counter and suggested that they misunderstood my request. They said no...they needed a case number to proceed. So under protest, I called the number and pretended that I was stranded on the road with a disabled vehicle in order to talk with someone that could take a report and offer an incident number. What a .... show. Took over an hour to get it done. All the while, the agent "helping" was griping to someone else on staff that she would be able to "offer an obituary for proof". Nice.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 3, 2022 at 5:10 am Reason: profanity removed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.