Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
I just sold my car privately and I have a 2021 Escalade ESV on order. Does anyone know if LAX has the new Tahoe or Suburban for rent? Or is it true that they don't have any new cars due to bankruptcy? I rented an L4 for three weeks starting this Thursday, as it was the best deal, the same price as a full size car, and just slightly more than a standard suv. My goal is to upgrade at the airport to the Tahoe if they have the new one in stock. My business is closed in LA and my gf is furloughed, so we are going to do a big road trip across the western US hitting up death valley, zion national park, Park City, Lake Tahoe, and back down to LA. We are bringing our bicycles, so we need something big. I'll report back here what I find out the end of this week.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 4, 2021 at 3:20 pm Reason: moved into dedicated thread for this location; please see Post #688 above
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by bsagator
I just sold my car privately and I have a 2021 Escalade ESV on order. Does anyone know if LAX has the new Tahoe or Suburban for rent? Or is it true that they don't have any new cars due to bankruptcy? I rented an L4 for three weeks starting this Thursday, as it was the best deal, the same price as a full size car, and just slightly more than a standard suv. My goal is to upgrade at the airport to the Tahoe if they have the new one in stock. My business is closed in LA and my gf is furloughed, so we are going to do a big road trip across the western US hitting up death valley, zion national park, Park City, Lake Tahoe, and back down to LA. We are bringing our bicycles, so we need something big. I'll report back here what I find out the end of this week.
Small sample size but I have not seen the new GM SUVs at any Hertz locations yet. I have seen some at a couple National/Alamo/Enterprise locations.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by missingcolours
Small sample size but I have not seen the new GM SUVs at any Hertz locations yet. I have seen some at a couple National/Alamo/Enterprise locations.
I'm currently in Orlando and I've seen them all over the touristy areas. I just assumed they were rentals and was hoping I could test one out and see if I liked it and save some money over the Escalade before it arrives late February, early March. Does anyone generally know what cars LAX stocks in the L4 category? Preference if there are multiple choices? I just want something to hold our two bikes and be comfortable for long distance driving, as im 6'6 with a bad back.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Tuesday, January 12, 2021 around 10:30 am

Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:10 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Great photos! That Red Camaro SS convertible looks so good.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Was at LAX Hertz in the 10 am hour this morning returning and renting new. I was told today that Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in this facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega. You can see the new Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty signs in one of the photos I took this morning. They have the same set of signs at the entrance to the lot, also. The Dollar and Thrifty facilities/land are or will be sold as part of the bankruptcy. The lot was the emptiest of vehicles I have ever seen today.

President's Circle is now just two aisles (I took a number of photos from different angles to show). It's going to be like this except on expected busier days/holiday weekends from now on. There were a couple of BMW SUV's, a Cadillac SUV, an Audi Sedan and few Camero's & Mustangs but nothing else of note. As I have previously mentioned, DO NOT expect to find a large SUV in President's Circle anymore. I only saw a few (less than 10 of all kinds) on the entire lot.

There were just 35 of us on the Gold Board this morning...that holds hundreds of names and use to have to cycle through a second set in past busy times. Today, at least, I was pre-assigned a vehicle (S class). The only one I saw on the lot, other than the one I returned. Still no carfirmatation (do they do them at any Hertz location anywhere anymore?) but I did get a push notification from my bank about 90 minutes before of an authorization (although it was a Visa card and not a pre-pay).

Only saw one other person in President's Circle this morning. They took a BMW SUV.

Ultimate Series has been consolidated next to Five Star and the Gold Office entrance (last two photos). It's to make it easier for the normally just one agent in the Gold Office when they have to assist a customer with those vehicles.

They do have a person directing vehicles where to go for returning now. But you still can't get a receipt and they won't let you wait around. It has to be emailed. They won't close out the contract until the vehicle has been sanitized. I got an email about 35 minutes after leaving it. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
CO-PLAT, jizen, Kore and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Are my eyes bad or is that Hendrick Camaro sitting in Five Star?

I haven't been to LAX for years. Are your photos the typical experience there? If so, very nice selection.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
damn I should have used Hertz, picking up a car at National in half an hour and I do not expect to see anything like yesterday's PC selection.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:18 am

This is from Sunday 10am. They had around 6 brand new QX80 in Presidents Circle. I actually drove it on my way home and turned around and swapped it. For some reason the driver seat doesn't go back far enough and doesn't go low enough. I'm 6'6 and my driving position was very uncomfortable. My knee was hitting the dash and I was seated too high. The person in the return line was flabbergasted when I showed him how little the seat would go back and we were laughing at how their biggest new car didn't fit me.

Last edited by bsagator; Jan 19, 2021 at 8:25 am
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite
Nice find! Did they let you trade it in for anything special?
bsagator likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ChristopherJN
Nice find! Did they let you trade it in for anything special?
I actually had reserved a Wrangler this time as the gf and I are going on a hiking/biking trip to Utah. I was supposed to do it last week, but my work in Florida got extended. When I saw the QX80 in presidents circle I of course fell into the temptation of something new and shiny, but when driving it I told myself I cant do this for 2k planned miles. So instead I got a 48k mile stinky and scratched up Wrangler that I wont have to worry about scratching and dirtying it up. Surprisingly its significantly more comfortable for someone my height.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by bsagator
When I saw the QX80 in presidents circle I of course fell into the temptation of something new and shiny, but when driving it I told myself I cant do this for 2k planned miles. So instead I got a 48k mile stinky and scratched up Wrangler that I wont have to worry about scratching and dirtying it up. Surprisingly its significantly more comfortable for someone my height.
I am 2 meters tall and drove a 2019 QX80 with the family for a 1500km trip, was a comfy ride with so much luggage, but it does guzzle the fuel (averaged 13MPG). I wonder what they changed on the new models that reduces legroom for the driver. Crazy!!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 19, 2021 at 5:59 pm Reason: removed image from quote
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:51 pm

Isn't that ironic that you just got back from FL, and got a Wrangler at LAX with FL plates?
bsagator likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:57 pm

^wow Camaro SS vert, Challenger R/T, Audi, and multiple Mustang verts. Nice selection!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:51 am

Anyone know what kind of truck in S (SPAR) nowdays? Silverado? F150? Ram 1500?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.