Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:08 pm

Yeah they should have some SUV's in PC but they're usually pretty basic. A Chevy Equinox, Nissan Rogue or GMC Acadia should be there. They have a smattering of Kia Sorento or Sportage's. They occasionally have the odd Subaru Outback (usually on out of state plates) which would be good for your trip.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:11 am

I was only dropping off on 12/02/2019 at 8pm, so I only had a very quick look at PC - but MAN did they have a few interesting choices, way better than usual....I noticed:

Range Rover Evoque
Cadillac XT5
Cadillac CTS
The BIG Suburban
Jaguar XF
Infiniti QX60
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Tue 12/10 1130pm PC: Infiniti QX60, Tahoe, Expedition, Grand Caravan, Pacifica, Mercedes A series, Rav4, CHR, Fusion platinum hybrid, Edge, Explorer, F150, Cadillac XT4, plus the usual Sportage, Impala, Altima etc.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Hertz Gold Pus Rewards
Full-size SUV choice at LAX

I have a reservation for an Group L SFAR car at LAX this April. From everyone's experience, what car am I likely to find in the SUV sections at LAX? The car quoted in the reservation is a Chevy Equinox. I really hope to come across a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but is that likely? Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ravenholm
I have a reservation for an Group L SFAR car at LAX this April. From everyone's experience, what car am I likely to find in the SUV sections at LAX? The car quoted in the reservation is a Chevy Equinox. I really hope to come across a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but is that likely? Thanks
It really could be anything with Equinox/Terrain being the most popular and Grand Cherokee being the most rare one of the group.
My advice is ask the staff when you get there but there's really nothing much you can do to guarantee one.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:54 pm

Family (2 adults 2 kids) doing 24 days in Cali. LAX pick up and drop off. We will have 3 large suitcases plus carry-on, a travel pram, plus any purchases on holiday.

Was looking at L/L4 to ensure we have enough boot space but it’s 40% cheaper to go Q4. I know a Q4 rogue will fit in everything (just) but many of the “similar” cars have smaller / less configurable boot so may not.

I’dhate to get stuck with one of the similars that won’t even hold our luggage. Any advice? I am gold and have corporate program from my work if that helps.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Lambringo
Family (2 adults 2 kids) doing 24 days in Cali. LAX pick up and drop off. We will have 3 large suitcases plus carry-on, a travel pram, plus any purchases on holiday.

Was looking at L/L4 to ensure we have enough boot space but it’s 40% cheaper to go Q4. I know a Q4 rogue will fit in everything
Unless you've fit 3 larger cases, carry ons. a pram plus shopping in one before, I am not at all convinced it will.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
L4 can be an Equinox as well - I doubt there's much advantage in an Equinox over a Rogue.

With President's Circle you should be able to pick up something equivalent from the lot - but with regular Gold your best hope might be to switch for whatever minivan is left over, if at all.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:55 am

Booked H4 (guaranteed Evoque). Is T6 considered higher or lower category than H4? Would I be able to ‘downgrade’ myself upon arrival if I see a Yukon or suburban?

thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
PC 1/9 around 8:30pm. Here are some of the interesting cars I found. It was a good night to pick up a car for enthusiasts.

2x 2020 Mustang Convertibles
Mustang GT Hardtop
Mustang GT Convertible (2020 w/ 1200 miles, which I took)
Jaguar XF
2x Cadillac XTS
Mercedes SLC300, 27k miles, seen its days
3x Challenger R/T
Ford Expedition
Kore and missingcolours like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:44 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uktraveller212
Booked H4 (guaranteed Evoque). Is T6 considered higher or lower category than H4? Would I be able to ‘downgrade’ myself upon arrival if I see a Yukon or suburban?

thanks!
T6 would be considered a higher class considering the fact those SUVs are twice the size of the Evoque. From what other users said, most, if not all of Hertz's RR fleets are base models. I've seen Yukons and Suburbans that are decently equipped. You could be able to ask them to swap cars for you as long as they have the car you want in stock and the price isn't more expensive. My suggestion is to make 2 reservations for a T6 and an H4. When you arrive there, look at both cars and see which ones are good for you. As long as you didn't prepay for the rental, you're able to cancel whatever reservation you did not fulfill. The unused reservation will automatically cancel after a couple hours after your pickup time pass.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by AznRice
T6 would be considered a higher class considering the fact those SUVs are twice the size of the Evoque. From what other users said, most, if not all of Hertz's RR fleets are base models. I've seen Yukons and Suburbans that are decently equipped. You could be able to ask them to swap cars for you as long as they have the car you want in stock and the price isn't more expensive. My suggestion is to make 2 reservations for a T6 and an H4. When you arrive there, look at both cars and see which ones are good for you. As long as you didn't prepay for the rental, you're able to cancel whatever reservation you did not fulfill. The unused reservation will automatically cancel after a couple hours after your pickup time pass.
thanks for the info. Generally I see h4’s as more expensive - but when making my booking I noticed the h4 was considerably cheaper (nearly $400 for a 20 day booking), so I opted for h4. When I check now, prices are back to what I’m used to - with h4 being higher. Guess I grabbed the last available allocation. But I’ve since read about how small the Evoque is so am having buyers remorse!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:43 pm

Just picked up today at LAX at 5pm

Probably the best stock I've ever seen
PC lot was full with about every type of hertz car you can think of except dream cars.
Notable units:
Audi A3 and A4
BMW 330i, 430i, X3, 530i
Volvo S60, XC90
Dodge Durango RT

Interesting thing though, I had spotted multiple 2017-2018 high trimmed FCA vehicles with ultra low miles (6000-8000) and they all have some sort of used car stock number stickers on the corner of their windshield
Including a 2017 charger SRT392 (yes the key tag did say it was a 2017), a couple 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland/Summit, and a couple 2018 Ram 1500 laramie longhorn.
No idea what the deal is with those cars, but they were scattered in PC/5 star/full size area.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by LJ7006
Was at LAX earlier today,
Spotted a BMW 330i, multiple 430i
Volvo S60
Audi A4
These are all part of group P4
Interesting. Where at LAX did you spot those? Were they in Presidents Circle or only available as paid upgrades?

The only one of those I've seen on a Hertz lot recently is the Volvo S60. I wanted to take it but it had Ontario license plates so they were only willing to let it go on a one-way that took it closer to the border.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Interesting. Where at LAX did you spot those? Were they in Presidents Circle or only available as paid upgrades?

The only one of those I've seen on a Hertz lot recently is the Volvo S60. I wanted to take it but it had Ontario license plates so they were only willing to let it go on a one-way that took it closer to the border.
330 and 2 of the 430 were at PC
Also one of the S60

Others were in premium upgrade zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.