Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Booked an SUV (Edge or equiv) and got assigned a pretty new 2021 Explorer Limited with 11K miles. Was excellent for our needs and performed well. Happy with the upgrade when booking a specific car class. (I’m PC).
Ordpc and blairvanhorn like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
12/3 7pm

PC lot mostly pick your color base Ford Mustang convertible(not the GT), at least 10 of them. Saw a Jeep and some generic sedans. I picked up a 2020 Nissan Maxima Platinum with 30k miles but in good shape.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:37 pm

Hey guys, could anyone kindly post an update here please? I'd be especially interested what kinds of cars Hertz has available in the PCAR/LCAR/LDAR categories. Any input on that would be highly appreciated .
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up at SAN last Friday night at 8:30 PM. I hadn't rented at SAN since 2009. There was a huge wait for a bus to the rental car facility at Terminal 2. I had to wait for the third bus before I got on. The facility itself is pretty nice as far as they go.

Some above average options in PC. I took a 2021 Ifiniti Q50 with 16,000 miles on it and it was nice to see the BMW convertible. Five Star was virtually empty btw.
OTRAeu, Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: National EE
I have uploaded a quick tour of the Hertz aisles at SAN from an earlier visit here:

Ordpc, stevietommo, Exdon and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by turbov6
I have uploaded a quick tour of the Hertz aisles at SAN from an earlier visit here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1SomLr_HYY
Wow brilliant... Very helpful
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:40 pm

That was immensly informative indeed! Thank's a lot .
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:54 pm

Arrived around 12:30pm on a Wednesday beginning of April 2022. There was only one mustang convertible and a couple of hard tops but were steadily bringing cars out (i.e. charger). In the ultimate series section, there were a couple of Teslas, however, upon chatting with the agent, those were only allowed if we returned to the same location but we were dropping it off in San Francisco so we couldn't upgrade.
Ordpc, Auto Enthusiast and OTRAeu like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite
PC Around ~10:00 AM on a Wednesday:

Infiniti Q50
Toyota Avalon
Cadillac XTS
Nissan Maxima
Genesis G70
Ford Mustang Convertible 4 cyl (a few of these)
Chevrolet Camaro Convertible (V6?)
Nissan Rogue
Nissan Altima
missingcolours, Ordpc and OTRAeu like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Was here two weeks ago Tuesday night. There were several mustang convertibles, but nothing else interesting. Needed to swap for a larger car so went back on Friday. Initially there was nothing good, just a bunch of small SUVs (Ford Edge, Buick Encore) and budget sedans. However, after about 15 minutes, they brought out a BMW 530i and Mustang 5.0 coupe. I took the BMW, which was great.
Ordpc, missingcolours and OTRAeu like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 11:23 am

Hey guys,

I'll be at SAN around a week from now. Does anybody maybe have another update here =) ? I'd especially be interested in anything with an american V8. Some info on that would greatly be appreciated . I'll also try to post an update when I'm there.

Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up last Friday at 8:30 PM. There are still long lines to get on a shuttle bus to the rental car facility. Buses don't come very frequently either

Selection was much more limited than it was when I was here in March. I snagged the only good car in PC, a 2022 Ford Explorer Limited with 4,000 miles and working XM. Other than that it was a choice between why and bother.
Auto Enthusiast, Ordpc and OTRAeu like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:07 am

So guys, I started my rental today with a pickup at SAN. I had free choice from the PC section, which, unfortunately, was very meh. For my purposes (somewhat sporty long distance road tripping), only 5 cars were remotely desirable (3x Charger, 1x 300S, 1x X3 30i sDrive). Also there were a handful of Model 3 and a Porsche Boxster Convertible you could upgrade to. The rest was pretty much useless.

I went to the desk to inquire about an american V8, which was sadly not available. This is why I went for one of the Chargers instead. It's moderately new (1300 mi) but pretty badly equiped. No nav. no 4WD, no sound system, very balloony tires ... I had a Charger GT from Hertz in Toronto, which was much nicer. Anyway ... this thing will have to do and it drives okay. I would have loved to get the red HEMI Charger shown in turbov6 's vid ... maybe next time =).

Here are some impressions, hope it helps someone:

isiegel3 and Ordpc like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:38 pm

Walked through the Hertz lot tonight (Friday around 6pm). Almost nothing of note in the whole lot other than a sea of reserved Teslas. PC was all foreign small sedans and small SUVs. Best car in UC was a Honda Accord.
​​​​
Old Feb 4, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by missingcolours
Walked through the Hertz lot tonight (Friday around 6pm). Almost nothing of note in the whole lot other than a sea of reserved Teslas. PC was all foreign small sedans and small SUVs. Best car in UC was a Honda Accord.
​​​​
I got to SAN at 10:30 pm. There were nothing in Gold or PC except Tesla 3’s and some Polestars. Almost every stall was a Tesla. There was nothing in the designated aisles like compact or mid-size and no cars in 5 star. I didn’t know the charging situation at the hotel I’ll be staying, so didn’t want to go electric. Slim pickings except for a couple ginormous SUVs and literally 2 coupes. The person in front of me grabbed a mustang. I was looking at a base model Camaro when they pulled up a dinged up Avalon. Took the Avalon for comfort and noted the dings.
Auto Enthusiast and oftech like this.

Last edited by TravelLawyer; Feb 7, 2023 at 10:01 am Reason: Grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.