Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Consolidated "Renting at SAN (Diego); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
On weds July 25 there was a few Chrysler 300, infiniti q50, sorento, and fully loaded cherokee.(which I toke) in PC. Five star was empty
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:38 pm

PC Fri Aug 17th ~1pm

PC rows were pretty full, but nothing amazing, was hoping to try the Jag but it was parked in reserve.
Maxima
Equionx
Edge
Impala

All the Infinitis were parked in the upgrade zone. Asked the lot attendant if any of them will get moved to PC but no luck. Offered me an upgrade for $10/day instead of $25 but didn't feel the Q50s were worth it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
5* Tues 11/6 noon - chock full of minivans, one truck, a couple Rogues, and one Nissan Armada (with someone already in it).
Gold had a few more sedans but nothing interesting.
Took a Toyota Sienna with leather, had 25k miles but room for the family.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:51 am

About early November Friday night, found plenty of cars in PC, suburban, yukon, imapas, buicks, maxima, sienna, even a chevy pickup. Premium upgrades were all inifinities, several porsches, and one mercedes!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
I have just signed up to become a Hertz Gold Member and are about to book an upcoming rental.
I'm looking at renting from the Compact or Intermediate categories, although I have read some reviews that suggest that some of the cars in these categories have only the most basic features and may not come with Bluetooth or a USB connection port.

*Can I ask for a rough idea what cars and models are available at San Diego Airport from the Compact and Intermediate categories.
*I will need a rental car with a USB port. Will it be as simple as walking up and down the lot and checking each available car for this feature, or is it advised that I book a car from a 'higher' category to ensure that a USB port comes as standard with the vehicle?

Thank you.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by Adam1
I have just signed up to become a Hertz Gold Member and are about to book an upcoming rental.
I'm looking at renting from the Compact or Intermediate categories, although I have read some reviews that suggest that some of the cars in these categories have only the most basic features and may not come with Bluetooth or a USB connection port.

*Can I ask for a rough idea what cars and models are available at San Diego Airport from the Compact and Intermediate categories.
*I will need a rental car with a USB port. Will it be as simple as walking up and down the lot and checking each available car for this feature, or is it advised that I book a car from a 'higher' category to ensure that a USB port comes as standard with the vehicle?

Thank you.
I have been to SAN quite a bit lately (and been having a blast there) but have not rented a car. Most of cars though should have these connections. As a Gold Member you should rent at least an intermediate car so you can use the Gold Aisle service. Most likely theres a good chance you might get a full size or premium car.

Do you mind if I ask what the USB connection will be used for?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
I have been to SAN quite a bit lately (and been having a blast there) but have not rented a car. Most of cars though should have these connections. As a Gold Member you should rent at least an intermediate car so you can use the Gold Aisle service. Most likely theres a good chance you might get a full size or premium car.

Do you mind if I ask what the USB connection will be used for?
Thank you for your reply.
If renting an intermediate size car and using the Gold Aisle service; is it possible to leave the lot with a 'lower class' category of car if I see one which catches my interest?
Is it better to use the 'pay now' option when booking online or 'pay later'?

With my car at home I use a USB for music and podcasts (not essential for my next rental, but would be nice to have the option), I also would like to have a USB port available in the rental car to use as a phone charger if the need arises (even through I always try to charge the phone to full battery overnight)

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
If renting an intermediate size car and using the Gold Aisle service; is it possible to leave the lot with a 'lower class' category of car if I see one which catches my interest?

With my car at home I use a USB for music and podcasts (not essential for my next rental, but would be nice to have the option), I also would like to have a USB port available in the rental car to use as a phone charger if the need arises (even through I always try to charge the phone to full battery overnight)

Cheers.
You’d be hard pressed to find a car without a USB port these days tbh.
Adam1 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F

Cheers.
As Jim said they should all have these features now. 99% of hte time I rent a full size or larger car. They also ahve USB adaptor you can buy so you can still charge your phone in the cigarette lighter like old style car chargers. If you know for sure you are traveling I would go ahead and use the pay now option if it is much cheaper. If not I would use pay later so you have flexibility if your plans change or get a better rate elseware. Hope this helps!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:57 pm

As Jim said they should all have these features now. 99% of hte time I rent a full size or larger car. They also ahve USB adaptor you can buy so you can still charge your phone in the cigarette lighter like old style car chargers. If you know for sure you are traveling I would go ahead and use the pay now option if it is much cheaper. If not I would use pay later so you have flexibility if your plans change or get a better rate elseware. Hope this helps!
Good to know. Thank you for your reply and help. ^

A final question - Have any members here rented a Chevy Cruze or Mazda 3 before from SAN? If so, did they come with an inbuilt SatNav unit?
Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:19 pm

Good to know. Thank you for your reply and help. ^

A final question - Have any members here rented a Chevy Cruze or Mazda 3 before from SAN? If so, did they come with an inbuilt SatNav unit?
Cheers.
No problem, I have not rented those exact models at SAN but have seen them at other locations and I would be 99% certain they will NOT have Satnav built in. I would plan to bring your own or plan to use your phone. In the US, built in navigation on a car of that price point is rare.
Adam1 and FlyingJayhawk12 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:44 pm

No problem, I have not rented those exact models at SAN but have seen them at other locations and I would be 99% certain they will NOT have Satnav built in. I would plan to bring your own or plan to use your phone. In the US, built in navigation on a car of that price point is rare.
That is what I expected, but thought I would ask anyway.
Thanks very much for your help.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
That is what I expected, but thought I would ask anyway.
Thanks very much for your help.
If you want OEM SatNav - try to get into a premium vehicle. Most rental car companies in the Premium class have build in Nav (Maxima, 300C). I don't think a lot of full sizes have nav built in (Ford's require a SD card usually for the Nav map).
Adam1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by kxc262
If you want OEM SatNav - try to get into a premium vehicle. Most rental car companies in the Premium class have build in Nav (Maxima, 300C). I don't think a lot of full sizes have nav built in (Ford's require a SD card usually for the Nav map).
Thank you for this info.
Premium class is out of my budget for this particular trip unfortunately, but good to know for next time. ^
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Trying to rent a guaranteed 4x4. Any suggestions? I've rented a Wrangler but I know Jeep does make 4x2's. I have a client I have to meet up a rough dirt road and would prefer the option of 4x4 given the proliferation of open diff's in ''trucks" now. I was also looking at the land rovers but it says I might get a infiniti qx60 instead of a discovery. Infiniti is fwd. Also for the record I have left a VM at SAN and have not received a phone call back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.