Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at ATL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at ATL; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Friday evening, 10/28, about 9PM. PC had three vehicles (2 Malibus, and a 23 Camry, which I took). Other gold sections looked totally empty. Bunch of minivans and a few Teslas in the reserved aisle.
ATL never disappoints.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:27 am

ATL Hertz President's Circle

Visited ATL President's Circle around 9 AM Wednesday April 26. Lot was fully stocked from gold, to 5 star, to president's circle.

PC had some surprisingly good offers, including the brand new Toyota Prius with ~500 miles, Kia Carnival minivan with ~3000 miles, Chevy Bolt EUV with 63 miles, Ford Explorer with ~2500 miles. Nice choices
Old May 3, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
My flight gets in at 1:25am Frontier. How long do you all think it'll take me to get to Hertz? It says it closes at 2am. I realize there a chance I have to wait till 5am if the flight gets delayed but I'll chose a seat in row 1-3 and I'll jog if I have to. If I'm looking at ATL info correctly, there's some sort of tram which gives me hope as I like that rather than waiting for a shuttle bus like ones has to do at some airports.

Also, any one else with any PC aisle reports? I have a minivan booked as that was cheapest at the time. May just take PC if I like options there better.
Old May 3, 2023, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
My flight gets in at 1:25am Frontier. How long do you all think it'll take me to get to Hertz? It says it closes at 2am. I realize there a chance I have to wait till 5am if the flight gets delayed but I'll chose a seat in row 1-3 and I'll jog if I have to. If I'm looking at ATL info correctly, there's some sort of tram which gives me hope as I like that rather than waiting for a shuttle bus like ones has to do at some airports.

Also, any one else with any PC aisle reports? I have a minivan booked as that was cheapest at the time. May just take PC if I like options there better.
You'll be cutting it really close. If you can somehow contact Hertz beforehand and confirm on the phone that they can stay for you, as well as update your reservation with your Frontier flight number so they have it on file.

Frontier usually flies into gate E or D. Taxiing, deplaning, taking the people mover train to domestic baggage claim can take up to 30 minutes. Then from the domestic baggage claim, you have to take the attached Skytrain (westside of terminal, near MARTA station) 2 stops to the rental car center. The whole process from touch down until getting to the rental car center may take up to 45 minutes.

Hertz employee also said that best selection of cars are Mondays. I came on a Wednesday morning and they had a full lot. I assume Fridays are a little tougher

Hope this helps
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by ikevers
You'll be cutting it really close. If you can somehow contact Hertz beforehand and confirm on the phone that they can stay for you, as well as update your reservation with your Frontier flight number so they have it on file.

Frontier usually flies into gate E or D. Taxiing, deplaning, taking the people mover train to domestic baggage claim can take up to 30 minutes. Then from the domestic baggage claim, you have to take the attached Skytrain (westside of terminal, near MARTA station) 2 stops to the rental car center. The whole process from touch down until getting to the rental car center may take up to 45 minutes.

Hertz employee also said that best selection of cars are Mondays. I came on a Wednesday morning and they had a full lot. I assume Fridays are a little tougher

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info. Ill be picking up at like 145am Monday or 5am Monday.
That flight originally was arriving like 20 mins earlier but I got a schedule change a few weeks ago.

​​​​Have to drive to Cherokee so missing it just means driving when it's light out vs driving in the dark and check in isn't until the afternoon.
​​​​
Old May 4, 2023, 7:51 pm

If you put your flight information in the reservation they might wait for you, but this is one of the worst Hertz locations.

If you checked a bag, I would go to the rental car terminal first, then go park the car at the closest hourly garage and go back inside to pick up the bag.
Old May 4, 2023, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by m907
If you put your flight information in the reservation they might wait for you, but this is one of the worst Hertz locations.

If you checked a bag, I would go to the rental car terminal first, then go park the car at the closest hourly garage and go back inside to pick up the bag.
Thanks.

I have the flight info on my reservation but yeah, I would fully expect them to just leave regardless at closing time. I can choose my seat on my flight at 24 hours to check in bc of status with F9. I guess I'll pick in the first 3 rows (extra legroom and obviously fastest to get off vs row 13 exit row, which is what I usually get). My GF will be seated away from me bc she doesn't have status. Luckily no checked bags.

My plan will just be to speed walk as fast as I can to tram and the skytrain thing to rental center and she'll catch up eventually. I'll be imitating that old Hertz commercial featuring a certain disgraced RB
Old May 4, 2023, 10:58 pm

Thanks.

I have the flight info on my reservation but yeah, I would fully expect them to just leave regardless at closing time. I can choose my seat on my flight at 24 hours to check in bc of status with F9. I guess I'll pick in the first 3 rows (extra legroom and obviously fastest to get off vs row 13 exit row, which is what I usually get). My GF will be seated away from me bc she doesn't have status. Luckily no checked bags.

My plan will just be to speed walk as fast as I can to tram and the skytrain thing to rental center and she'll catch up eventually. I'll be imitating that old Hertz commercial featuring a certain disgraced RB
god speed. I’d be interested in an update on how it goes along with what car you chose!
Old May 7, 2023, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by ikevers
god speed. I’d be interested in an update on how it goes along with what car you chose!
Well, on plane but no need to imitate the commercial now. I had to change return so now I'm just gonna be on this trip for two days so waiting until 5am since returning now at 5am Wed vs 5am Sat.

​I'm gonna see if minute suites will let me in. I'll report on PC section at 5am on a Monday later today.
Edit:

I'm pretty sure I would not have made it. Flight arrived 5 mins late 130am. I walked out into the terminal at 135 so seems impossible to get to have gotten to Hertz by 2am so 5am idea works out better.

Travel companion was gonna pay extra for seat assignment near front (I get free bc of status) but we didn't do it and then changed out plans last minute to return early so I guess this worked out.

I don't think I'd I ran in would make this bc have to wait for two different trams. I'm gonna time myself to tram just out of curiosity.
Editx2:
Got in far E gate, E4. Time walking leisurely to tram stop was about 5 mins, which included riding escalator down 75% of the way at which point I saw tram arriving so moved down. If I had been trying to make 2am time, this probably could have been done in 3-4 mins.

While on tram, I saw one can go one stop to international baggage claim and it says there's a bus to car rental. Not sure how often that runs. The skytrain thing to car rental is at domestic baggage which is the other way.

To get from E gate to B gate stop took about 5 mins, but that's bc doors opened and closed twice at C stop for some reason.

So realistically, Id have been by B gates by 143-145 lol. I'll post more times when I actually go to the car rental. Killing time at b gates where probably about 30 people are hanging around the various gate areas. Probably saw ten people lying down trying to sleep.

Minute suites was a bust. It looked like this tiny area and when we walked up, attendant told us they were booked till 7am.
​​​

Last edited by rhwbullhead; May 8, 2023 at 1:12 am
Old May 8, 2023, 9:32 pm

Just to finish up my report. Tram from.b gates to T station was about another 5 mins. Took me ten minutes to get form there to skytrain station. I wasn't sure where to go so maybe would take 7 mins if one knew exactly where to go and did t get slowed by crowds and walked really fast

Tram said 2 min wait when I got to station. Not sure how many mins is the maximum. Rental car area is two stops and took 5 mins, took another 1.5-2 mins to walk out to Hertz lot.

Hertz says it opens at 5am but I saw person at regular desk around 440.

President Circle report:.
There were a lot of the generic uninspiring mid grade sedans. There were two Buick smaller SUV type vehicles. One was being taken and we almost took one.

We walked around a few times and an employee actually asked us if we were lost and I said we were trying to figure what we wanted from President Circle.

Ended up looking at 5* and found Cadillac SUV that we took. Gate agents was new and took forever with guy in front and took awhile with us. I swear it took 15 mins to get out of gate .
Edit:
I guess it's called a crossover Cadillac. XT4 with just under 10k miles. Seemed better than anything in PC.

It pays to check 5*. I first leaned this in LAS in 2019 when I returned a Mustang GT convertible I had picked up in PC. My flight was cancelled and I rebooked next flight 24 hours later. Rented for one day again from Hertz as this was about the same price as one way Uber to strip. Found my dame Mustang GT convertible, but it was in 5*.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:07 pm

glad you were able to get a decent car and thank you for the report! Learned that Frontier also operates out of Gates T and B in addition to D and E. I find comfort knowing as PC, I can also lean into 5*. Safe travels to cherokee

also saw a brand new Ford Edge SUV with only 3.3 miles on the odometer

Just to finish up my report. Tram from.b gates to T station was about another 5 mins. Took me ten minutes to get form there to skytrain station. I wasn't sure where to go so maybe would take 7 mins if one knew exactly where to go and did t get slowed by crowds and walked really fast

Tram said 2 min wait when I got to station. Not sure how many mins is the maximum. Rental car area is two stops and took 5 mins, took another 1.5-2 mins to walk out to Hertz lot.

Hertz says it opens at 5am but I saw person at regular desk around 440.

President Circle report:.
There were a lot of the generic uninspiring mid grade sedans. There were two Buick smaller SUV type vehicles. One was being taken and we almost took one.

We walked around a few times and an employee actually asked us if we were lost and I said we were trying to figure what we wanted from President Circle.

Ended up looking at 5* and found Cadillac SUV that we took. Gate agents was new and took forever with guy in front and took awhile with us. I swear it took 15 mins to get out of gate .
Edit:
I guess it's called a crossover Cadillac. XT4 with just under 10k miles. Seemed better than anything in PC.

It pays to check 5*. I first leaned this in LAS in 2019 when I returned a Mustang GT convertible I had picked up in PC. My flight was cancelled and I rebooked next flight 24 hours later. Rented for one day again from Hertz as this was about the same price as one way Uber to strip. Found my dame Mustang GT convertible, but it was in 5*.

Last edited by ikevers; May 17, 2023 at 11:51 am
Old May 27, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: Hertz Gold Plus
Arrived on 6th May into ATL with a suburban booked. Was very lucky and got a Premier trim with only 3000 miles on the clock. Fantastic vehicle.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:15 am

Does anyone have experience with Medium 7 Passenger SUVs (L4, FRAR) and knows what car to expect here?

Last edited by noah.; Jun 25, 2023 at 8:11 am Reason: Moved into dedicated thread for this location
Old Jul 5, 2023, 12:57 pm

I have the option to book a large SUV or a convertible at the ATL airport for an upcoming trip. I'd like to book the large SUV in hopes of getting a yukon. Does anybody know what model / year the yukon is likely to be? If it's an older model 2021 or earlier I'd rather spend less money and get a convertible mustang
Old Jul 8, 2023, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by ilovemycats777
I have the option to book a large SUV or a convertible at the ATL airport for an upcoming trip. I'd like to book the large SUV in hopes of getting a yukon. Does anybody know what model / year the yukon is likely to be? If it's an older model 2021 or earlier I'd rather spend less money and get a convertible mustang
This is one of the worst locations in a bad system so lower your expectations. You'd probably get a 2018 Nissan Armada...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.