Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble using points

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Trouble using points

I have a moderate amount of Hertz points (more than enough to cover an anytime rental for the period I am looking at) but no matter what I do I cannot get a rental at PMI (Palma de Majorca Spain) to come up with anything other than "You do not have enough points". I have even looked at single day rentals outside of the blackout period, same thing.

Am I missing something?
Old May 6, 2017, 2:01 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It's most likely because Hertz at the Palma de Mallorca Airport is an Independent Licensee (according to Hertz.com) and doesn't honor Hertz reward days.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It's most likely because Hertz at the Palma de Mallorca Airport is an Independent Licensee (according to Hertz.com) and doesn't honor Hertz reward days.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. But overall a disappointment.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Almost certainly the case, but I've also had issues booking points rentals even at corporate US stores that very definitely should accept points. The system is very buggy.

If you have a reason to think the Mallorca locations should accept points, you might try calling Hertz and attempting to book a points rental by phone. Phone agents seem to be able to make it work even when the website doesn't.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by jackal
Almost certainly the case, but I've also had issues booking points rentals even at corporate US stores that very definitely should accept points. The system is very buggy.

If you have a reason to think the Mallorca locations should accept points, you might try calling Hertz and attempting to book a points rental by phone. Phone agents seem to be able to make it work even when the website doesn't.
I can attest to this as well. Almost 99% of the time when I used the system to check for any rental, it would come up and say that I did not have enough points. Recently, I tried to book a week rental in BOS, and the system kept saying that I had not enough points.

I finally decided to call the 800 (Hertz Gold) and the representative was able to assist book with points. Having said that, the taxes and fees were pretty high though because the prevailing weekly rate at the time that I wanted was averaging$550 a week, so my taxes and fees were about $88.

I would say call the 800 number.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by hoangb
Having said that, the taxes and fees were pretty high though because the prevailing weekly rate at the time that I wanted was averaging$550 a week, so my taxes and fees were about $88.
Hertz's reservation system significantly overestimates the taxes due on points rentals (and other free-day rentals).

When you book with points, they effectively adjust your base rate down to $0, and if the tax rate is 30%, you'll end up paying 30% of $0, or $0. The only thing you'll actually pay is the fixed fees that aren't a percentage of anything (and the percentage-based taxes on those fixed fees, which are very small, of course).

The reservation system doesn't know this, so it prices the reservation out as if you'll pay full taxes on the rate. That can safely be ignored.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I have had this happen in the past and the solution was to completely clear my internet cache (or use a different browser).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.