Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, Hertz PC
What about B4 - "Nissan Rogue or Similar"?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Size hierarchy/What is "midsize or larger" in the context of ultimate choice?

Hi all,

Google is not helping me here.

Is there hierarchy of where the various car classes fall for Hertz, specifically for Ultimate Choice eligibility?

I mean it seems fairly obvious that Full Size -> Midsize -> Compact, but when, using my latest EWR reservation as an example, Hertz.com "Intermediate", "Intermediate SUV", "Standard", "Economy", "Special" etc. (and not offering an option that's actually labeled 'midsize') it becomes a lot less clear to me -- Economy is probably less than Midsize but is "intermediate" above or below midsize? Standard?

(Trying not to 'over reserve' but also not screw myself out of choice)
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:38 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This question is currently under discussion in the existing thread for Ultimate Choice; suggest you might want to read the last five or so posts: Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:38 am

Intermediate is midsize. Just poor phrasing on their part.
lincolnjkc and m907 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Stratonaut
What about B4 - "Nissan Rogue or Similar"?
That's an SUV so you'll get a car assigned. I think you should still be able to select from your status area of UC (Gold/5*/PC) if you don't like the assigned car.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:41 am

Hertz seems to view SUV of any size and drivetrain (2WD vs AWD/4WD) as a higher booking class than a midsize car.
m907 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:45 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

The easy answer is that you can book anything besides an economy or compact car and be eligible to use Ultimate Choice.
Stratonaut likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:20 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Hi all,

Google is not helping me here.

Is there hierarchy of where the various car classes fall for Hertz, specifically for Ultimate Choice eligibility?

I mean it seems fairly obvious that Full Size -> Midsize -> Compact, but when, using my latest EWR reservation as an example, Hertz.com "Intermediate", "Intermediate SUV", "Standard", "Economy", "Special" etc. (and not offering an option that's actually labeled 'midsize') it becomes a lot less clear to me -- Economy is probably less than Midsize but is "intermediate" above or below midsize? Standard?

(Trying not to 'over reserve' but also not screw myself out of choice)
I went ahead and merged this thread/question with the Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The easy answer is that you can book anything besides an economy or compact car and be eligible to use Ultimate Choice.
Anything besides an economy, compact, or Manager's Special.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by klanfa
Intermediate is midsize. Just poor phrasing on their part.
It's unbelievable that they've had UC running for over two years and they still won't fix that.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:41 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by m907
It's unbelievable that they've had UC running for over two years and they still won't fix that.
The car rental industry, in general, uses intermediate and midsize interchangeably. That said, it does cause a lot of confusion, so it is kinda annoying that they don't just standardize on one variant.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The car rental industry, in general, uses intermediate and midsize interchangeably. That said, it does cause a lot of confusion, so it is kinda annoying that they don't just standardize on one variant.
Hertz's website has always said intermediate while booking. I don't understand why they can't change it there.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:27 pm

Standard Sport (Group D2) SSAR (D2) Dodge Challenger,

Standard Sport (Group D2)
SSAR (D2) Dodge Challenger or similar

Will I get ultimate choice? Is it higher then a midsize?

its the cheapest option out of all cars

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:49 pm Reason: Moved into thread where this question has been asked and answered
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:48 pm

Yes, D2 is eligible for Ultimate Choice service.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by sloppyjoel
Standard Sport (Group D2)
SSAR (D2) Dodge Challenger or similar

Will I get ultimate choice? Is it higher then a midsize?

its the cheapest option out of all cars
Smart move, I’ve seen that before by saving a few dollars taking a larger car but never struck as I’ve always taken an intermediate not to chance UC. I’m gonna try it next time. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.