Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had problems using electronic coupons?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 2:45 pm
CMW
Original Poster

I haven't made a Hertz rental in awhile but I have one in the next few weeks and when I printed out the confirmation I saw the following in bold type:

Warning Messages:
====================
EXTRA DAY CHARGES APPLY AFTER 2300 MONDAY
PRESENT COUPON TO RETURN REPRESENTATIVE
MINIMUM RENTAL AGE IS 25. EXCEPTIONS APPLY, INCLUDING NY & MI.

I tried other electronic coupon PC#s and this message always showed up. I am sure these are not paper coupons. The specific code I used (939400) was mentioned on this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum79/HTML/000541.html

I was wondering what experience others have had recently. I don't want to get stuck when I go to return the car.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:04 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
CMW-

Hopefully this is a location-specific occurance. I just made a reservation this morning (for TPA) using PC# 939400 (I LOVE that coupon) and didn't get the same message on the confirmation that you saw.

However, it seems like I'm asked at every location to show the coupon upon returning the car. I always keep a printout of that newsletter with me in order to offer proof.

It seems like having a "9" at the beginning of the PC number hasn't helped me avoid not showing it.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Using Hertz coupons, electronic or not, is usually a problem. From my experience, 80% of the time a coupon is not processed correctly. I have had situations where the return agent claimed I couldn't use a Hertz #1 points award because "the computer wouldn't accept it". After pointing out that the reservation confirmation contained the proper award code and the reservation was accepted just fine, it's a trip to the desk to get it resolved.

I've also run into numerous situations where the coupon is not entered correctly so it gives less of a discount than I was entitled to or no discount at all. Another trip to the desk to get it resolved.

I have also encountered the electronic coupon issue and the claim that "the coupon can't be processed without the paper". Guess what, another trip to the desk.

My protocol with Hertz now is as follows:
1. Bring print out of reservation confirmation clearly showing you have entered the promo/coupon code.
2. Bring coupon, even if it states electronic. If it's from a magazine, rip the page out and bring it. If from an e-mail, print the entire e-mail.
3. Double-check the rental agreement papers BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE LOT to ensure the correct prices and codes/coupons appear on the paperwork. If not, get it corrected immediately.
4. When you return the car, give the return agent the coupons you brought with you before they ring anything up.
5. Know exactly how much the total $$ are supposed to be (based on your reservation confirmation). If different than what appeared in your reservation, head for the desk if the return agent can't/won't adjust it.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:50 pm
CMW
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I am renting a car @ ATL the weekend after Labor Day. The total for 2 days with that coupon is around 24.37 total. I'll print the newletter to take with me.

I have had to go the the counter for Hertz electronic coupon problems in the past but they always gave me the discount. It did mean a trip to the counter though.

Has anyone been denied the discount because they didn't have paper backup?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:57 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CMW:
Has anyone been denied the discount because they didn't have paper backup?</font>
CMW-

I haven't been denied- so far. Once I couldn't produce the coupon when asked by the return agent, so I quickly rifled through my bag for proof, evidently making it appear that I was making an honest effort to find it. The guy eventually took my word that I had a coupon.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 5:07 pm

Any PC code starting 9 is an electronic code.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 9:14 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UpgradeMe:
Any PC code starting 9 is an electronic code. </font>
I've had to point that out a couple of times to agents, but they have always gone along with me.

------------------
"I was once dissappointed that I didn't get an upgrade, then I saw a homeless man without shoes. Somehow, the upgrade didn't seem all that important."
Old Aug 27, 2003, 7:47 am

Agreed about always having a copy of the PC, no matter what the form.

The first thing I always say to the agent who processes my return (usually this is someone walking around with a handheld thingie) is, "I have a coupon I want to make sure you put into my record." If I'm using one of those after-hours mail-slot dealies I'll conspicuously write, "Please note PC# 9xxxxx". This heads off 95% of all problems.

Hertz really, really needs to eduacate its agents on this matter. Also, update the computer systems so that 9-series PC#s are accepted automatically upon return without agents needing to do anything.

BTW, have you tried PC#939643 with a frequent-flyer CDP#? This gets you a free day on a fullsize or larger and is located here. A couple times this has given me a lower rate than anything else I try even with smaller cars. You don't need to enter a frequent-flyer number (so no extra surcharge/tax) and can opt for ZE1 points instead.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CMW:
Has anyone been denied the discount because they didn't have paper backup?</font>
For me personally, the return agent rarely asks to see the coupon. In the rare cases they do, I just tell them that I got it in an e-mail and didn't bring a printout. So far they've always accepted that reason. Maybe I'm just getting lucky but I've said that at maybe a dozen different Hertz locations nationwide without any problems.

Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:42 pm

Has anyone been denied the discount because they didn't have paper backup?
</font>
Once in IAH, the return agent insisted to see the coupon, and I did not bring the e-mail print out. Paid full, and send the complain letter to Hertz, and get adjusted later. From then on, I always bring a printout of coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.