Search

I still love Hertz

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2003, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum
I still love Hertz

Despite the recent few threads complaining about Hertz, I have to say that more than ever, I appreciate Hertz.

I always get upgraded, and at airports that I frequent the most, the staff always go the extra mile for me.

I'm sorry that others seem to prefer Avis or other rental cars.

In my book nothing beats Hertz.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:16 am

Yes, Hertz is usually more expensive. But what a lot of folks don't appreciate is that Hertz isn't trying to compete on price for the occasional renter. That's what Alamo and Thrifty are for.

That said, my experience with being 5* is that I have always gotten the upgrade, even when I have had to go inside and ask for it. So when I compare rates it's really Hertz's midsize versus others' fullsize, for example.

Hertz certainly isn't perfect, but every problem I've ever had been resolved quickly and in my favor.

You don't get enough frequent-flier miles (from ANYONE) for it to matter to me anymore. So I get ZE1 points for the free rental day coupons. Which saves me more on top of all the other discounts you can rummage around for.

At this point I'd have to be saving 20-30% to rent from someone else. Which happens maybe once a year, but that's about it.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 2:02 pm

Please don't get me wrong. The service at Hertz has generally been very good (even at the much dreaded YYZ). I am only saying that with an average price of $10/day more (with the extra taxes paid on the higher rate difference) this does add up for me/my company. With 325 rental days per year that is $3,250 more than Avis. That is a lot of money if the difference were like this every day. I don't know what your travel budgets are like but I know I could use that for other things.

Hertz PC saved me during the blackout and I remember that. I will make sure that Hertz gets enough of my business to keep PC but it will be when the rates are more reasonable.

BTW, I do prefer Hertz cars
Old Aug 29, 2003, 9:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Had a hat trick of elite service/customer service this last week.
At the Gold Desk in MKE, clerk recognized me from previous week and while he was working with the customer at the desk, reach back handed me the keys and told me my spot.
Arrived at garage to find usual "mid-size" upgrade to Taurus on the front row.
But also found it had Satelite radio (Sirus).
Nice touch and fun to play with.

Arrived at Marriott to be greated to a King Suite.

Finally arrived at Airport one hour late for my return flight.
Got a "all flight are nearly sold" at front desk, so my chance of standing by were slim to none. Went into the NW WorldClub and the front desk immediatly confirmed me on the next flight out.

All in all reminded me that sometimes an extra few dollars is worth it.
But as was also mentioned, I can reserve a hertz mid-size when I know I will have four large adults and always be sure I get a full-size, so when I compare rates I always do Other Full to Hertz mid
Old Aug 30, 2003, 9:27 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
agree with rthib...

It's the ability to get the airline seat that isn't available, the recognition by counter clerks, the upgrade, that make all of the travel fun.

That's why I try to consolidate all of my travel business with 2 airlines, 1 hotel chain, and Hertz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.