Wiki Posts
Search

Poor Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2000, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Poor Treatment?

At this moment I think I have been treated very poorly by Hertz, but it might be standard procedure.

I was scheduled to pick up a car in Denver today, but couldn't make it. I called to delay the pickup one day but was refused. They called the local office and determined that they were oversold so they could not give me a car.

Ok, I understand that. I asked that they simply charge me for the extra day as if I picked up the car. They said they can't do that either. They said it was completely up to the local manager and he would not "hold" the car for me even if I paid for it.

I am member of #1 Gold and have probably rented 20-25 days this year so far (I know it not much for some of you, but still seems like they would like to keep my business). I can't believe that they would let a local manager over ride customer service at a national level - or are they all they same. Now I am high and dry without a car.

(I also can't believe they allow us to make a reservation with no negative impact from not showing up.)

Suggestions?
Old Jun 18, 2000, 4:09 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Were you trying to change the reservation due to a changed schedule or a missed flight?
I've always wondered why there was no penalty for missing a car rental reservation, the way there is for an air ticket or a hotel reservation. I've never been to a rental desk and not gotten a car when I had a reservation.
Old Jun 18, 2000, 10:56 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
My understanding is that the car companies have very good models which would indicate how many people will cancel their trips, so they don't need to charge penalties for no-shows. Most companies do charge deposits on specialty vehicles, as they have fewer of those to play with in their models.
Old Jun 22, 2000, 11:31 am

I think Hertz should have reserved the car for you - it looks like you are a good, loyal Hertz customer.
I had the same situation in Miami - I just went with the Hertz bus to the station and "talked" to the agent. She asked her boss and I had a car.

Generally Hertz's # 1ClubGold service is fine - unless you go to Mexico City, Dom. Rep., Naples, Italy, Bahamas etc. - No #1ClubGold-service!
Old Jul 1, 2000, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
The following is the response I got from Hertz:

Dear "Tall Paul":

This is in response to the inquiry you made through the Hertz website. We
appreciate the opportunity to review your concerns.

We are always concerned when we are unable to accommodate a customer for any
reason. We can appreciate the disadvantages travelers may face due to
scheduling problems, airline flight delays or cancellations. However, it is not
our practice to hold a car, and generate a bill for a customer who cannot meet
his original car reservation. At the same time, Hertz will not cancel an
existing reservation in order to provide another customer with a car.

We do make every effort to provide cars for #1 Club Gold members even when cars
are in short supply and in high demand. Situations can arise in which the
volume for cars exceeds the supply so greatly that we cannot always guarantee a
vehicle, even for our valued frequent Gold members. We regret that you are
disappointed, but assure you this was a resolution due to the fleet situation.

We apologize for the inconvenience. As a tangible gesture, a $25.00 Hertz
Customer Service Certificate is being sent to you under separate cover to the
address listed in your E-mail. This is valid for one year and may be used at
any of our worldwide rent-a-car locations.

Thank you again for notifying us. We appreciate being able to address your
concerns. We value your business and hope you continue to use Hertz for your
rental needs."

Still think they missed the customers service mark.
Old Jul 5, 2000, 12:43 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), MR Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
If being a Gold member doesn't guarantee you a car, what's the point? (They probably have a disclaimer in the printed materials somewhere, but let's face it, we expect our cars to be there, and they make us think that they will indeed be there.) I think that they missed the mark as well -- and you should appeal, but this time with a written letter to the head of the department overseeing the Gold program (the address is on the signup materials).

As a rule, I never file complaints through the Web site, I get much better results sending my concerns higher up the chain!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Naples, Italy seems to have gold service

Originally Posted by USAFAN
Generally Hertz's # 1ClubGold service is fine - unless you go to Mexico City, Dom. Rep., Naples, Italy, Bahamas etc. - No #1ClubGold-service!

I just took a look on the Hertz website. They now have Gold Service listed for the Hertz location in Naples, Italy. Has anyone rented from that location recently? Is there a shuttle to your car or is it right outside the airport? It looks like the rental desk is in the airport but it doesn't get too specific
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
I just took a look on the Hertz website. They now have Gold Service listed for the Hertz location in Naples, Italy. Has anyone rented from that location recently? Is there a shuttle to your car or is it right outside the airport? It looks like the rental desk is in the airport but it doesn't get too specific

I haven't rented from them in Naples, but I'll be renting from them in Rome in March. FYI, if you've never rented from them internationally before, in order to get Gold service for an international rental, you need to fill out another authorization form which they can send to you if you call them.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BWI Flyer
If being a Gold member doesn't guarantee you a car, what's the point? (They probably have a disclaimer in the printed materials somewhere, but let's face it, we expect our cars to be there, and they make us think that they will indeed be there.)
If you're talking about a guaranteed car there when you show up at/near your reservation time, then yes - I agree - Gold should always, always, always mean your car is in your stall. For me, it has only not happened once in my many years with Hertz - where the lot was oversold and there truly were zero cars on the lot.

If you're talking about the OP's situation - wanting to make a reservation for the next day when the lot was oversold - they do have that guarantee for President's Circle members. I've used it before - once, in Chicago. All of the agencies were sold out, but was able to call Hertz from the airport and book a car using the guarantee. The phone agent cautioned me that the guarantee gives the location up to 2 hours to fulfil the P.C. reservation, but I hopped on the bus, went over there, and was able to get the car in about a half hour.

I don't know why, but it seems like Denver is a terrible place to rent a car. Every time I'm there, whatever agency I'm renting from is operating in complete chaos mode. No cars, long lines, processes and systems not working right, etc. I was there last weekend and had a pretty lousy experience at Alamo - I wrote about it on that board.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I haven't rented from them in Naples, but I'll be renting from them in Rome in March. FYI, if you've never rented from them internationally before, in order to get Gold service for an international rental, you need to fill out another authorization form which they can send to you if you call them.
Have you ever hired a car in Naples before? I drove in Italy for the first (and last) time a couple of years ago and found it very stressful. The only enjoyable part of Italian driving I found was up in the Alps where traffic is less aggressive.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Where'd you hear about the additional authorization form for overseas Gold Service? I've rented from Hertz internationally for the past ten years or so and never had to fill in additional forms. With #1 Club Gold car, I got off bus and walked to car. Now as PC, I don't have quite so far to walk ... sometimes ... to find my vehicle. Only once, at Termini (Centrale) in Milan, did I have to wait on a very busy Friday afternoon. My 20 minute wait was worth it ... instead of the requested compact, I got a gorgeous Alfa Romeo 166 2.0 with satellite navigation. And spent the next ten days zooming up and down the autostrade!!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Where'd you hear about the additional authorization form for overseas Gold Service?
When I booked my rental for FCO in March, I noticed that it said that I wouldn't be receiving Gold Service on the e-mail confirmation. I called them & asked why not & they told me that it was because I wasn't authorized for Int'l Gold service. I had to fill out a form (that they mailed me) stating my preferences for insurance coverage (I denied everything - my CC will cover it) and car preferences & mailed it back. Then I requoted my reservation about a week later & it was set up for Gold service. I've been a #1 Gold through work for about 2 years now - not a PC member.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, Marriot Plat, Hertz PC, Avis PS
Int'l Gold service - maybe not worth it

When I booked my rental for FCO in March, I noticed that it said that I wouldn't be receiving Gold Service on the e-mail confirmation. I called them & asked why not & they told me that it was because I wasn't authorized for Int'l Gold service. I had to fill out a form (that they mailed me) stating my preferences for insurance coverage (I denied everything - my CC will cover it) and car preferences & mailed it back. Then I requoted my reservation about a week later & it was set up for Gold service. I've been a #1 Gold through work for about 2 years now - not a PC member.
I'm Hertz PC for the first time this year (after a bit of badgering - the phone drones were sticking with "40 rentals in a year", the GC web people found 100+ days to more than fill the mark ;-).

My last rental out of FRA I went with Hertz so I could get the points. Guess what? No #1 points, nor does the rental count for US Gold Club membership. I also got barely average service and paid more for a premium car than when I went with AVIS for the same thing (went with AVIS as my previous FRA rental with Hertz was also subpar). I rented from Hertz why again?

Many other posters have commented on this, and it can be summed up well: USA - Hertz service bar none (esp. with NeverLost), Europe - AVIS has better rates and better service.

VF
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I have had problems with the Denver Hertz too. They always seem to be short cars. As per President's Circle, that's the level that guarantees a car with any reservation, not basic Gold. I find that when asking for waivers with Hertz it's best to call the local station manager rather than corporate Hertz (though corporate Hertz is good for answering customer svc issues).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.