Search

Hertz hasn't charged my CC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Hoping I can get some advice from the board, I've never quite had anything like this happen.

Rented a car for a full week from an HLE (corporate) location downtown (I'm used to renting from airport locations). Reserved from my profile, agreed to charge to my regular CC. Dropped off on time Wednesday one week ago, but they still have not charged the CC for the rental (as agreed, ~$300, including liability insurance).

Short version..everything went relatively normal. Returned to the same location - handed the key over personally, was given a receipt (though initially, I told them to just email it like normal). Received points on my account - I assume that means they have a record of the return somewhere

Long version...after taking the initial car they gave me, realized after driving a bit the interior was pretty dirty...adhesive stuff stuck on the outside of the glove box, in the holder where I put the parking card I needed to use, etc, stuff on the stereo...etc. Within 24 hours, called the HLE to ask about an exchange, they said they didn't have anything else, so I asked if I could exchange at the airport. They said not a problem. At the airport, they said the HLE should have handled it, but it wasn't a problem, got a nice new (and clean) car in the same class. Can't imagine this has anything to do with the not being charged. On returning the car, I did mention the initial car and having to exchange, and the clerk (the only on duty that I could see at the time) agreed to reduce the charges from just under $300 to $250. That was fine by me.

So now, I haven't had a charge on the CC I set up in my profile (nor any of the alternates in my profile). I'm not trying to get out of paying - want to do the right thing. But just don't know why this happened. Also realized, after the fact, that I didn't get the regular e-mail receipt shortly after returning.

So do I just call and see what they have listed. My worry is that somehow, they didn't mark the car as properly returned (I'm looking, but can't seem to find the printed receipt). Do I have anything to worry about? Anyone else been in the same situation?

If it makes a difference, I've been a Gold member for over 5 years - I wouldn't call myself a very frequent renter, but probably average about 5-6 rentals a year, and never had an issue...certainly not like this.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:30 pm

Call the location. Someone forgot to do their job. It's taken a few days for HLEs when I've dropped the keys in the box when they're closed, but never a week. My experience is that when it takes more than a day, they're much more likely to do something like stick on a fuel charge. so if you can find the receipt, you'll be in better shape.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:20 pm

My last hertz rental, it took them over a week to close out my contract and charge my credit card. It was a one-way rental though, and they blamed the delay on the fact that the two locations utilized different systems even though they were both corporate owned locations.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Very similar recent story happened to someone else and he never got charged. New bug?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...losed-out.html
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice and the other thread link...missed that one.

So as a partial update, I called the HLE I rented from, they said the contract was closed and they billed my card. They said if it hasn't showed up, I need to call billing. Now on hold with billing...they claim the contract is still open. So they're on the line with the local HLE trying to get it sorted it out. If the rental isn't charged to me because they can't figure it out, no skin off my back. But I do want to pay for the rental. Even forgetting about now for the moment, want to make sure its a) not charged at some random future point when I'm not expecting it, and b) this issue doesn't make future rentals a problem.

On the other hand, perhaps this is a small example of the reasons they're needing to re-state financial results, etc. It's never good when the customer needs to call to pester a company to try and charge for services used. Others won't make the effort. I'll make some effort, but at some point, they need to be able to figure out how to take payment for a relatively simple, standard transaction.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by emcampbe
perhaps this is a small example of the reasons they're needing to re-state financial results, etc. It's never good when the customer needs to call to pester a company to try and charge for services used.

Love that comment.

As to your situation, it really does sound like the identical problem described in the other thread -- which in that case turned into a "black hole" free rental.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, does sound similar to the other thread.

So my phone call, while I was waiting on hold for the HLE and billing to figure it out, got dropped (not by me, as far as I know - think I was just on hold too long. I called back and the rep this time said they were sending it as a priority to managers. I think I've heard this before...in the other thread.

I feel like I've done my part, and if they don't charge me now, this is squarely on Hertz. They can't blame me for not trying. I may try once again later this week if I don't hear anything by then (but feel this is well above and beyond what I need to do).

Again, my main concerns are that if somehow it isn't properly charged if I'll have problems renting again in the future. Or if they'll try to charge 3, 6 or X months down the line when I'm not really not expecting it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.