Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Warning - Hertz PlatePass cannot be used for Express Lanes in Florida. http://floridaexpresslanes.com/

Interoperability With Other Transponders - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPass#Interoperability
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (Florida SunPass) Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
You should be billed via platepass. The charge is $3-$5 a day for rental + tolls. I believe there is a cap to the daily charge.

I was on the same stretch of the Turnpike in November.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
You should be billed via platepass. The charge is $3-$5 a day for rental + tolls. I believe there is a cap to the daily charge.

I was on the same stretch of the Turnpike in November.
Cap is around $23 to $24 IIRC
Old May 28, 2014, 1:16 pm

FL been changing almost all the toll roads to toll by plate for about a year now. Used to be the same thing as a "penalty" if you ran through with extra fees etc. Guess they realized it made more sense to just do it this way and keep traffic moving vs cluster f' jams at the booths.

I didn't even realize it till one day my pass wasn't working and wasn't paying attention in my trucks, some days later got a bill in the mail. Next time I didn't even use the pass, and same thing, just got a normal bill no extra fee's. I-95 Express Lane you still have to have the pass though or you'll be ticketed in the mail.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I'm planning on renting a car in Miami and driving to Los Angeles over a 2 month period. Does that mean if I use platepass, I will get charged an extra $5 a day for 60 days???

How easy is it to avoid electronic tolls driving across country? It sounds like south florida is one of the most difficult places to avoid? I will not be in a rush..

Sounds like I need to investigate setting up my own sunpass account?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I'm planning on renting a car in Miami and driving to Los Angeles over a 2 month period. Does that mean if I use platepass, I will get charged an extra $5 a day for 60 days???

How easy is it to avoid electronic tolls driving across country? It sounds like south florida is one of the most difficult places to avoid? I will not be in a rush..

Sounds like I need to investigate setting up my own sunpass account?
If you use plate pass, you will get charged $24.75/month + tolls, so in your case it would be $49.50 + tolls.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:13 pm

My friend was visting in FL. I had the my Sunpass in the car. For some reason it didn't register 3/8 tolls, so he was charged for the tolls and the $25 service fee. I sent him the log from my Sunpass to try and prove that he wasn't intentionally using the platepass. Their answer was there's no way to know if the Sunpass was in the car.

One paid toll was at 11:00 am, with the 3 prior to it being missed. The other 4 paid tolls were on the way home showing sequentially around 2:00 pm.

Any suggestions on how to get it fixed?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by te619
My friend was visting in FL. I had the my Sunpass in the car. For some reason it didn't register 3/8 tolls, so he was charged for the tolls and the $25 service fee. I sent him the log from my Sunpass to try and prove that he wasn't intentionally using the platepass. Their answer was there's no way to know if the Sunpass was in the car.

One paid toll was at 11:00 am, with the 3 prior to it being missed. The other 4 paid tolls were on the way home showing sequentially around 2:00 pm.

Any suggestions on how to get it fixed?
Interesting - I think people with similar experiences have had PlatePass offer to refund the administrative fee as a courtesy (but obviously still charge you the tolls that were paid by them).

You can try contacting the Florida tolling authority to see if they can cancel the tolls-by-license-plate and bill them to the SunPass, but that may be a problem if the SunPass is required to be registered to the car it is being used in (I don't recall the detailed terms).
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
How interesting. Back in May I was traveling with family in Miami. We used a causeway to get to Miami Beach a couple times and paid the toll in cash. Later, we got a bill from Hertz saying Plate Pass had been activated and had paid the toll and we were billed. Seems like this keeps occurring.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by CMK10
How interesting. Back in May I was traveling with family in Miami. We used a causeway to get to Miami Beach a couple times and paid the toll in cash. Later, we got a bill from Hertz saying Plate Pass had been activated and had paid the toll and we were billed. Seems like this keeps occurring.
I'm not sure that OP's situation is the same. The OP was confronted with electronic tolling (no toll booths) that records license numbers and then bills. The OP didn't pay the toll. The maximum charge for platepass would have been $24.95 + the tolls. The OP says he was charged $27, though. In this case, the OP might have been charged for the toll and penalty and the separate administrative charge for referring the OPs name to the toll collection company that works for Hertz. Or else the OP was charged for platepass and had several other tolls he wasn't aware of.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
I can remember one time I thought my Sunpass was too low to use it, so I went through the booth to pay cash. When I tried to pay the lady said my Sunpass had activated and I didn't need to pay (I had even put it in the glove box beforehand).

Maybe something like this happened? The Plate Pass may have activated and the person at the booth didn't notice or something. Just a thought.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree - toll-day based is perfectly reasonable, even at ~$5/day. FWIW, I did a National rental for a week in MIA in February (peak time; had a Hertz rental but they jacked up the corporate rate, which wasn't guaranteed, after I made the rez so I canceled), and National only charges per toll day. Getting out of MIA without paying automated tolls is a pain, so I was like what the hey, happy to pay for the convenience...for the one day I used the toll lanes.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
My own recent contract for FL also states $4.95 per day with a cap at $24.75 (+ all the tolls of course). However I have another question. Does this cover Sunpass charges only, or does this also work with the Expressway from Orlando? If not, I can call Expressway up and pay up before these are passed on to Hertz.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
If you're going to Disney from MCO, there a manned toll booths if you stay to the right as you approach. You will not be charged for sunpass if you use them and pay with cash.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
OK but is Expressway compatible with Sunpass or not? In other words, if I am already paying the Sunpass charge for the rental; will it work with Expressway or will I incur in further "administration" costs to recover the fees? Thanks.

Last edited by wobbly wings; Apr 14, 2015 at 10:19 am
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I believe it will work throughout the state.

Here's a link to their site

https://www.sunpass.com/index

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.