Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (FasTrak in Southern California) Thread

Hertz PlatePass (FasTrak in Southern California) Thread

Reply

Old Dec 13, 16, 8:56 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hands of Fate
Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Posts: 4,629
Originally Posted by Forum_User View Post
You live in CA and you want MORE government? Let the free market take care of it, you get the state involved and the fee will be $60 and $45 of it will be going to BART.
Not sure I understand this comment... The $30 administrative fee for handling the fine from the unpaid toll is a "free market" fee imposed by Hertz (or its affiliated toll processing company).
bennos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 17, 1:23 am
  #92  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 91
I was shocked when I successfully processed a one-time payment for a toll road(s) in Southern California. Think it was hwy 133/241 (The Toll Roads of Orange County). The toll website did state that some rental companies required one to pre-register the car before driving on the toll roads. I kinda hopped on the toll road without knowing it was a toll road, so I couldn't pre-register. All along the route, I saw signs that said BOOTH CLOSED (meaning NO CASH). To their credit, there were lots of signs telling you to log-on to xxxx site and pay within a couple days.

The crossings took place in April 2016.

Last edited by radiolarian; Mar 8, 17 at 1:32 am
radiolarian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 17, 11:49 am
  #93  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: YWG
Programs: UA 1K, AC E50K, WS Gold, AA Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Posts: 2,694
Got the $23 scamcharge by accidently GPSing to Laguna Beach using toll road instead of I-5 on the way there. sigh.
SKYEG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 17, 10:03 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by radiolarian View Post
I was shocked when I successfully processed a one-time payment for a toll road(s) in Southern California. Think it was hwy 133/241 (The Toll Roads of Orange County). The toll website did state that some rental companies required one to pre-register the car before driving on the toll roads. I kinda hopped on the toll road without knowing it was a toll road, so I couldn't pre-register. All along the route, I saw signs that said BOOTH CLOSED (meaning NO CASH). To their credit, there were lots of signs telling you to log-on to xxxx site and pay within a couple days.

The crossings took place in April 2016.
I did this just recently --- i missed the turn that would have kept me from the toll road and landed on 73. Stayed on, but noted the website for the toll road. Called Hertz as soon as I got back to my hotel and they said to go online and pay up ASAP --and that there shouldn't be a transponder on the car I rented from LAX (which was licensed to LAX). The site allows you to pick a registration date up to 7 days earlier. I decided to register my car starting the date of my mistake and continue it through the rest of my trip, just in case. A charge for the toll hit my credit card the day after I returned the car. It's been a few weeks and I haven't seen any additional charges from Hertz, so it appears the system works.
joanek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 18, 4:05 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Hertz pres circle, SPG Gold, hilton diamond
Posts: 2,381
Hertz and toll roads (CA)

So recently I had an infinity on ca plates, rented out of Vegas but drove to LA.

It had the EZ pass sticker on it, so I drove part of the way on the expressway.

What I didn't expect to receive when I got back home was a letter from Hertz "Notice of Toll Amount and Administrative Fee for Rental Car Toll Charges"

I suppose it is buried deep in the rental contract what they're going to charge for using this, but a toll fee of $0.75 to which Hertz add an admin fee of $30 is a bit ridiculous.

To cap it off they're asking for payment at www.hertzrentalfine.com presumably because being aware of how crazy their mark up is, they're trying to make it look more like a penalty. They've even set it up like a fine with a tear off and mail in section.

They must be making a fortune out of these things considering the transponders are only about $40...!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 4, 18 at 4:09 pm Reason: moved into consolidated thread
aceman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 18, 6:07 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 6,766
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
It had the EZ pass sticker on it, so I drove part of the way on the expressway.
What do you mean "EZ pass sticker"? Do you mean the PlatePass sticker, telling you about PlatePass?

PlatePass has never covered ExpressLanes. This is mentioned in the Hertz contract, on the PlatePass website, and to some extent on the ExpressLanes themselves (which always show "FastTrack Only" logo, which means that a transponder is required).

CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: PlatePass coverage is available on the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, Carquinez Bridge, Benicia-Martinez Bridge, Antioch Bridge, San Mateo Bridge, Dumbarton Bridge, SR 73, SR 133, SR 241 and SR 261 ONLY. Coverage is NOT available on I-10, I-110, SR 91, I-15 Express Lanes and SR 125.
docbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 18, 9:54 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: SoCal to the rest of the world...
Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Posts: 6,344
Originally Posted by joanek View Post
I did this just recently --- i missed the turn that would have kept me from the toll road and landed on 73. Stayed on, but noted the website for the toll road. Called Hertz as soon as I got back to my hotel and they said to go online and pay up ASAP --and that there shouldn't be a transponder on the car I rented from LAX (which was licensed to LAX). The site allows you to pick a registration date up to 7 days earlier. I decided to register my car starting the date of my mistake and continue it through the rest of my trip, just in case. A charge for the toll hit my credit card the day after I returned the car. It's been a few weeks and I haven't seen any additional charges from Hertz, so it appears the system works.
Good - The SoCal Toll roads NEVER pass the data to Plate Pass if a physical transponder isn't in the car UNLESS a payment isn't made within 5 days (has been 7 days before - officially it's 5 but it may slide). After 5 Days - TOUGH - you will have to deal with Hertz and Plate Pass. Lesson is as you did - PAY ASAP and the data never even goes to Plate Pass.

Side note - if you have a family member or such with a PHYSICAL FastTrak transponder - they can temp add your car as a rental - it's often cheaper than the one time payments - just work it out with them to pay them the fees.
NickP 1K is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread