FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz PlatePass (FasTrak in Southern California) Thread
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:54 pm
NickP 1K

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by joanek
I did this just recently --- i missed the turn that would have kept me from the toll road and landed on 73. Stayed on, but noted the website for the toll road. Called Hertz as soon as I got back to my hotel and they said to go online and pay up ASAP --and that there shouldn't be a transponder on the car I rented from LAX (which was licensed to LAX). The site allows you to pick a registration date up to 7 days earlier. I decided to register my car starting the date of my mistake and continue it through the rest of my trip, just in case. A charge for the toll hit my credit card the day after I returned the car. It's been a few weeks and I haven't seen any additional charges from Hertz, so it appears the system works.
Good - The SoCal Toll roads NEVER pass the data to Plate Pass if a physical transponder isn't in the car UNLESS a payment isn't made within 5 days (has been 7 days before - officially it's 5 but it may slide). After 5 Days - TOUGH - you will have to deal with Hertz and Plate Pass. Lesson is as you did - PAY ASAP and the data never even goes to Plate Pass.

Side note - if you have a family member or such with a PHYSICAL FastTrak transponder - they can temp add your car as a rental - it's often cheaper than the one time payments - just work it out with them to pay them the fees.