Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (FasTrak in Southern California) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz PlatePass (FasTrak in Southern California) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mybagfits
thank you for all the replies...

seems like the easiest thing would be to get my own transponder and using my phone log in and put the plate number in, and subsequently take it off when I return the car.

with regard to plate pass, don't believe that is an option in LA as on hertz.com only talks about the bay area.

putting in and taking off the plate number will be a bit of a hassle, but assuming it only takes a few minutes, will be worth it to save some serious 110 driving time.
There's no PlatePass in Southern California, either with Hertz or for the general public. Hertz lists where PlatePass is for their vehicles. https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/partn...on=globNav_8_1
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cordelli
It's inconceivable to me that people don't get how it works. If you use it, you pay for it. If you don't use it you don't pay for it.

Is it the brightest thing in the world to pay apparently five days of fees for a toll under two dollars? Probably not, but that's not Hertz's fault you choose to do that.
Don't go on highways around Dallas then... I am aware of how platepass works, however on those highways you have no option to pay cash for a toll. There are no booths, only flyover transponder/video tolling and no warning about it. Apparently if you live there, the systems sends you a monthly bill based on your license plate. A recent rental had no transponder and no info about platepass untill I received a nice service charge for 4 days of rental where I only had 90 cents in tolls. I was pretty pissed as there was no way to avoid the scam besides not actually driving on roads.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:50 am

So my intention is to buy he transponder not just drive in he lanes and get a ticket later. There is a process to input and take off the plate but I'm ok with that as if I want to use the hot lanes ...
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:21 am

how to attach transponder in rental car fastback?

ok..so got a transponder...

the directions are to put it behind the mirror flush against the glass, lower right or lower left and there are some specifics 1 1/2 inches away from frame...

but normally one would use the velcro on the back to attach it to the other velcro side against the glass...

so if I plan on switching this into each rental car I drive..what is my solution??buy a sheet of adhesive velco and each time attach?

is there a way to clip it onto the back of the sun visor??

hmmm...suggestions?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by mybagfits
ok..so got a transponder...

the directions are to put it behind the mirror flush against the glass, lower right or lower left and there are some specifics 1 1/2 inches away from frame...

but normally one would use the velcro on the back to attach it to the other velcro side against the glass...

so if I plan on switching this into each rental car I drive..what is my solution??buy a sheet of adhesive velco and each time attach?

is there a way to clip it onto the back of the sun visor??

hmmm...suggestions?
Just hold it up to the glass when you're passing through the toll gate.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
Just hold it up to the glass when you're passing through the toll gate.
There are no toll gates on the FasTrak lanes in Los Angeles County.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:32 pm

Ugh - on a trip from Vegas to LA/OC area, I accidentally went into the express lanes and got charged 45 cents on a week long rental

How does Platepass work in SoCal? I accidentally went through the express lane on 91 going out of Orange County (was following my GPS directions)... I just searched online, and there is a $47.50 processing fee from the state of California or something... Does Platepass work for the SoCal express lanes?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 30, 2018 at 5:18 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CTNYC
Ugh - on a trip from Vegas to LA/OC area, I accidentally went into the express lanes and got charged 45 cents on a week long rental
How does Platepass work in SoCal? I accidentally went through the express lane on 91 going out of Orange County (was following my GPS directions)... I just searched online, and there is a $47.50 processing fee from the state of California or something... Does Platepass work for the SoCal express lanes?
Huh? 45 cents? from where? There is NO toll in So Cal anywhere near that cheap.

Was there a transponder in the car? If not, you're hosed. Fastrak requires a transponder. And Fastrak in SoCal is not listed on the website (but oddly it is listed for the NorCal bridges - same system).

Oh - and the fee is 57.50, not 47.50

https://www.thetollroads.com/onthero...violations.php
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:23 pm

My friend was here in Los Angeles in mid-December and just got charged for entering the Express Lanes on the 110 Freeway. $30 just charged by Hertz...Hertz tacked on $5 to their $25 fee.
https://www.metroexpresslanes.net/en...olations.shtml

ONLY FasTrak works in California. NO Plate Pass.
Hertz does not provide FasTrak on Southern California vehicles.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CalItalian
My friend was here in Los Angeles in mid-December and just got charged for entering the Express Lanes on the 110 Freeway. $30 just charged by Hertz...Hertz tacked on $5 to their $25 fee.

While I agree that Hertz doesn't provide FasTrak transponders in SoCal, your statement is a little off. PlatePass is a program run by American Traffic Solutions. PlatePass works with a multitude of tolling programs across the US (https://www.platepass.com/locations/), including Fastrak in the SF Bay area. So, PlatePass does work in California, just not on the SoCal tollways and express lanes for some unknown reason (even they work with the same system elsewhere in the state). My completely uneducated guess is that if you got a car from NorCal with a FasTrak transponder in it, it would work in the SoCal express lanes and toll roads.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
While I agree that Hertz doesn't provide FasTrak transponders in SoCal, your statement is a little off. PlatePass is a program run by American Traffic Solutions. PlatePass works with a multitude of tolling programs across the US (https://www.platepass.com/locations/), including Fastrak in the SF Bay area. So, PlatePass does work in California, just not on the SoCal tollways and express lanes for some unknown reason (even they work with the same system elsewhere in the state). My completely uneducated guess is that if you got a car from NorCal with a FasTrak transponder in it, it would work in the SoCal express lanes and toll roads.
You are not providing any proof. I see no toll lanes or roads in Southern California listed.

The possibility of getting a FasTrak equipped vehicle in Southern California is extremely slim. I've never seen one and I rent at LAX frequently.

Do note that PlatePass ONLY is listed to work on Northern California bridges with FasTrak...NOT listed is their toll lanes with FasTrak (237/880 express connectors and 680 express lanes).
https://www.platepass.com/locations/...san-francisco/

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 30, 2018 at 5:19 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Do note that PlatePass ONLY is listed to work on Northern California bridges with FasTrak...NOT listed is their toll lanes with FasTrak (237/880 express connectors and 680 express lanes).
https://www.platepass.com/locations/...san-francisco/
That's because those lanes are HOV lanes as well as "express" lanes.

If you've got one person in your vehicle you need a FasTrak transponder, and will be charged for the trip.

If you've got >1 person in your vehicle then you need to *remove* your transponder so that you are not charged - as there is no charge for multiple occupancy vehicles.

As a result, there's no number-plate scanning which is what PlatePass relies on.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:08 pm

Huh? 45 cents? from where? There is NO toll in So Cal anywhere near that cheap.

Was there a transponder in the car? If not, you're hosed. Fastrak requires a transponder. And Fastrak in SoCal is not listed on the website (but oddly it is listed for the NorCal bridges - same system).

Oh - and the fee is 57.50, not 47.50

https://www.thetollroads.com/onthero...violations.php
I was going from Orange County towards Vegas (Riverside County) Going off of http://www.go511.com/traffic/toll_roads.aspx I guess I misread the sign - Maybe it was $1.45? The fine on that website says $47.50 but could be old info... My car did not have a transponder, so looks like I'm on the hook for ~$70 or so

$30 would no be too horrible.. But I was on 91 from Orange County (Can't remember if I was in Cerritos or in Irvine) out to Riverside, which is a different area... Guess I'm paying for a lesson to not always follow my GPS
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:04 pm

You are not providing any proof. I see no toll lanes or roads in Southern California listed.

The possibility of getting a FasTrak equipped vehicle in Southern California is extremely slim. I've never seen one and I rent at LAX frequently.
I was going from Orange County towards Vegas (Riverside County) Going off of http://www.go511.com/traffic/toll_roads.aspx I guess I misread the sign - Maybe it was $1.45? The fine on that website says $47.50 but could be old info... My car did not have a transponder, so looks like I'm on the hook for ~$70 or so

$30 would no be too horrible.. But I was on 91 from Orange County (Can't remember if I was in Cerritos or in Irvine) out to Riverside, which is a different area... Guess I'm paying for a lesson to not always follow my GPS
Yep, sounds like you were in the 91 express lanes (runs right by my house). It is really well marked and has electronic signs quite a distance before the start stating that you must have a transponder and what the toll will be (tolls vary based on time of day).
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:37 pm

Yep, sounds like you were in the 91 express lanes (runs right by my house). It is really well marked and has electronic signs quite a distance before the start stating that you must have a transponder and what the toll will be (tolls vary based on time of day).
*sigh* I know, I should've paid better attention to the signs - Was talking/catching up with family and just followed the GPS without really reading the signs - When I was passing by a second/third time, I saw the signs clearly... Oh well, I can only blame myself at this point :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.