Wiki Posts
Search

Sent a Violation Notice from Hertz?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by spades097
Sometimes, the city who is issuing the ticket will have "special" processing for rental cars. All of the special processing is just another way to get more money out of tourists. The one I can specifically remember is in Florida dealing with toll violations. You can normally call up and send in the toll amount unless it is a rental car in which case they will not accept it as payment...
This is exactly what I did in Kissimmee, FL earlier this year, and had not problem getting them to accept it.
If they are going to have unmanned booths at onramps, they need to have a way to let you turn around. No calling was required though. I had no change. The booth had envelopes. I mailed a check. It was cashed. No word from the FL toll people. No word from ATS No word from Hertz, and no CC billing.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by crabbing
Dave, hertz has a duty to mitigate its damages. whatever "processing" they choose to do is irrelevant and superfluous.
If you do not like the T&Cs of renting a car, then do not agree to them when renting

If they get contacted about an alleged infringement, the work involved is the same whether the claim is valid or not. If charged for an infringement enquiry then the party in fault is not hertz
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:08 am
Original Poster

I would be very interested to know what work is carried out that costs 30 USD. Thats some hourly rate.

I complied with all the rules in good faith and still got hit with a 30 dollar charge. It just seems grossly unfair

I wonder if i'd have any luck taking it up with the parking authority, as I guess this is really a fault of theirs?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Foxtbh
I would be very interested to know what work is carried out that costs 30 USD. Thats some hourly rate.

I complied with all the rules in good faith and still got hit with a 30 dollar charge. It just seems grossly unfair
You didn't follow the rules, you violated the contract in the sense you received a ticket thus you are penalized for the ticket.

Originally Posted by Foxtbh
I wonder if i'd have any luck taking it up with the parking authority, as I guess this is really a fault of theirs?
HAHA...it's not the parking authorities fault. You, as in YOU, violated the law, were written a ticket. The parking authority did NOTHING wrong.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by spades097
Sometimes, the city who is issuing the ticket will have "special" processing for rental cars. All of the special processing is just another way to get more money out of tourists. The one I can specifically remember is in Florida dealing with toll violations. You can normally call up and send in the toll amount unless it is a rental car in which case they will not accept it as payment...
From the Florida Turnpike website:
If you are driving a rental car and missed a toll:

If you have traveled through a SunPass-only lane and were driving a rental vehicle at the time of the missed toll, please contact the rental car company directly to report the missed toll and to learn their policy on toll violations.

If you would still like to make a payment for the missed toll you may send a check or money order for the amount of the toll to FDOT Turnpike Enterprise, P.O. Box 310, Ocoee, FL, 34761. Please be sure to:
  1. Write the tag number of the vehicle on the payment. The tag number can be located on the rental agreement.
  2. Keep proof of payment (copy of the mailed check, the cleared check, or the money order receipt) as this will assist in the event a violation is generated.
  3. Please be aware that under Florida law, violations are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle, in this case, the rental car company, so the company may still receive an unpaid toll notice if your payment crosses in the mail with the notice mailed to the rental car company. In the event that charges are assessed, the charges will be from the rental car company, not from Florida’s Turnpike. You will need to contact the rental car company directly for resolution if this occurs.
  4. Please include a self addressed stamped envelope if a receipt will be requested.
If you have not signed up for PlatePass(R),Pass24(R), E-Toll, or TollPass program with your rental agency, you need to contact that agency immediately to resolve the issue. If you have signed up for PlatePass(R),Pass24(R), E-Toll, or TollPass program, the rental agency will identify the rental vehicle by the license plate and use that information to electronically collect the toll. Rental agencies will assess the fees agreed to in your rental agreement to collect the toll.
http://floridasturnpike.com/tools_tollviolations.cfm
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
HAHA...it's not the parking authorities fault. You, as in YOU, violated the law, were written a ticket. The parking authority did NOTHING wrong.
Uh, did you bother to read my OP?

I'll spell it out for you.

I received a parking violation. This was my fault. On the ticket it told me that if I paid within 10 calender days, then a notice would NOT be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Therefore I did EXACTLY this. I paid my violation notice, IN FULL, to the parking authority, BEFORE the deadline. To me that should be the end of the matter, surely? I was literally 2 minutes late back, I got hit with a 40 USD fine, sucks to me, paid the fine, over, finished, thank you very much.

The parking authority mailed Hertz anyway, even though the violation I complied with said they would not, had I complied.

How is it my fault a notice has been mailed to Hertz and subsequently incurred me further charges when I did exactly what was asked of me following receipt of the violation?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:44 pm

Don't feed the trolls. Just dispute the charge with your credit card.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

A blast from the past - thought you guys might appreciate finding out how I got on with this.

Hertz took quite some time to come back to me but eventually did and agreed to refund the charge as a gesture of goodwill.

Really impressed with the level of service - planning this years trip now, and I hope to book it again with Hertz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.