Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intermediate/Standard?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Intermediate/Standard?

I seem to never understand the basis of how Hertz and other firms classify car models into categories. In your experience, is the difference between the intermediate and the standard car noticable in terms of engine power, driver's comfort and/or trunk space or is it mostly dependent on whatever car you get?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The latter, overwhelmingly. Car class naming conventions suggest some precision but it all gets thrown out the window with 'or similar', and lots of dissimilar cars are found in the same class. Given some of the fairly small cars that now get classed as intermediates, (Corolla, for one), renters needing passenger and luggage space need to reserve prudently.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 29, 2009 at 7:02 am
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
I agree with 3Cforme. I've given up trying to understannd what I'd get with intermediate vs. standard. I tend to pick one at random if I'm renting a smaller car figuring that they'll just throw a dart at a board and give me something. ranging from a corolla to a impala
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: AA: 2MM
Worst "Intermediate" car?

This past weekend, I reserved an intermediate and found a Nissan Sentra awaiting me. Although the overall interior volume is larger than the Ford Focus, the backseat legroom is about two inches shorter and the trunk is smaller. And yet they rate the passenger capacity on their website as 5 adults. I wouldn't imagine a single adult being very comfortable back there, much less three adults.

What really ticked me off about this car was the FE+ trim level. This is the high fuel efficiency option, meaning much of the standard equipment was missing. No ABS, no cruise control, no power mirrors, or central locking. The locking mechanism was particularly annoying. The doors automatically lock when the car goes faster than 15 mph, but they all automatically unlock when the key is removed from the ignition. That requires me to manually lock all of them when I park it and leave.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by DCAKen
The locking mechanism was particularly annoying. The doors automatically lock when the car goes faster than 15 mph, but they all automatically unlock when the key is removed from the ignition. That requires me to manually lock all of them when I park it and leave.
That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Basically they said "Here, we're going to leave out two buttons and a bit of wiring" for the purposes of I guess trim line differentiation. Geez. The power locking mechanisms at the doors are obviously in there, as is wiring to make them all go at once, wired up to the computer for it to activate at speed and key removal. The only thing left out is a switch for you to operate the system at will. Wacko.

I think my crappy Cobalt from Enterprise (only thing recently with no power locks) was at least truly without power locks. I didn't like it, but at least it wasn't insulting. (The car, that is. Enterprise was pretty insulting. )
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:37 am
CS

Programs: Southwest A+ Preferred, National Executive Elite, Hertz Five Star
Man, since when did the Sonatas become F's? The agents at my local HLE told me they were moved up. I thought they were C's?

Do they have any decent cars in C in anymore? Jeez.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
So if I understand this correctly, from an upgrade perspective, I'm better selecting the Standard over the Intermediate?

Never could figure it out either ;-)
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:06 pm

Yup! The problem I most often encounter with Hertz is that they wind up trying to stick me in the next size larger. If you're lucky enough to use a HLE regularly, they might try to get to know your preference; but they really don't have many cars. The airport locations usually have all the cars; but they seem the most resistant to the arguement that a Corolla is not an intermediate!
For years consumer advocates said always reserve the cheapest car possible, with the hope that you will get an upgrade. I say think CAREFULLY about why you need to rent a car at all ; and then rent the smallest car that will get the job done.
If I think that I might be annoyed by their choice ; I use Alamo/National.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:41 am
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 900at
So if I understand this correctly, from an upgrade perspective, I'm better selecting the Standard over the Intermediate?
Absolutely pick the Standard...

Intermediates have been ranging from Corolla's, Sentra's, Impreza's, Civic's... The Standard should never be less than a G6 or Fusion. The G6's are disappearing and Hertz seems to be lacking new Fusions compared to other rental companies. I seem to be offered Mustangs a lot and when I refuse them I get an Impala, Altima, or Camry.

On the website I reguarly have to click the "View All" to even get the Standard size selection. I'm guessing they don't have many as they don't seem to quote them when I'm trying to setup a rental.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
You know, I almost always picked the Intermediate because it was the first on the list. Mostly got Mazda 6s. Cheked the Standard one time and got an Avalon. Thought it was just a lucky day and didn't pay attention to it.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery, I know what my selections will be in the future '-)
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:26 am

Yes, I noticed the hidden car categories online lately. It used to be a list of cars by size or price, by default. Now not necessarily. Compact for instance tends to appear up top. Scrolling down near the bottom finds the subcompact, with a "click for quote" where the price would be. The system finally goes to the price after about 2 more menu page clicks. Sometimes after all that, it turns out the compact is the same price or even cheaper. As much as I'm no fan of guzzlers, if the compact is the same price, I might as well book that.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:24 am
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 900at
You know, I almost always picked the Intermediate because it was the first on the list. Mostly got Mazda 6s. Cheked the Standard one time and got an Avalon. Thought it was just a lucky day and didn't pay attention to it.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery, I know what my selections will be in the future '-)
Remember the Mazda 6's as pictured as intermediates were last produced for the 2008 model year. If you get one there is a good chance that it has 45k+ miles on it. The 2009's are full size F cars.

I find it interesting that they are showing a Chevy Cobalt on Hertz.com as a Compact, They've tried to pawn those off as intermediates when they run out of the hugely bigger Toyota Corollas. Be sure to point to the key chain Hertz tag and say, "I thought Intermediates were C class cars..." Then be prepared to either have you needs met or get a very smart ... comment from whoever at Hertz you just said that to.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by ayg
Remember the Mazda 6's as pictured as intermediates were last produced for the 2008 model year. If you get one there is a good chance that it has 45k+ miles on it. The 2009's are full size F cars.
How can they say a 2009 Mazda 6 is a full size car? Even in Europe where cars are generally smaller nobody would call a Mazda 6 a full size car. Hell I'm scared now. I'll pick up a full size at IAH in two weeks to explore the Lone Star Stae (finally my dream came true) and I was really looking forward to everthing being bigger there. Hope the rental cars are no exception ;-) I'm really tired of small and sporty (harsh suspension) euro cars. So getting a Mazda 6 or something similar that small would be "shock and awe" upon arrival .
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Daniel.DE
How can they say a 2009 Mazda 6 is a full size car? Even in Europe where cars are generally smaller nobody would call a Mazda 6 a full size car.
The Mazda 6 for the North American market is actually larger than the Mazda 6 sold in Europe. It is not a small car - although rental-spec likely means the 2.5L 4, not the 3.7L V-6. It is larger in interior space and cargo room than a Passat.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:48 am

Thank's for your information. I just checked the Mazda USA Website and it's really bigger than our euro Mazda 6 (I guess the suspension will be much softer, too) but they look similar. It's the same with the Honda Accord which is a whole different car here compared to the one sold in the US.
Can anybody tell me why asian cars are so popular in america? Is it all about reliabilty?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.