Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

how illegal is it to let someone else drive your rental car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how illegal is it to let someone else drive your rental car?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by spades097
You won't.
As a claims adjuster I had to drop in and correct the inaccuracies. If the driver not on the contract gets in an accident then if they have their own insurance policy that will likely cover the damage to the rental vehicle as a non owned auto. Read the language on now owned autos.

It may be pro rata between your policy and theirs. Read the language on other insurance.

If they damage another vehicle their policy may not cover liability of a non owned auto. You'll have to look to your policy for that. Permissive use of a non owned auto.

We've covered rental vehicles driven by a teenage child. Member of the household, covered, permissive use, covered, non owned auto, covered.

Caveat, read your policy. Look carefully for any rental language or exclusion. Make sure you're reading Part A for Liability and Part D for coverage for your auto. The language may be different. Read the exclusions. Read other insurance. Understand permissive use and non owned auto language.

It amazes me how many people don't read their policy. I'd be curious to see exactly which exclusion they believe would make this not a covered loss.

Another tip. If a claim is denied push back until you are absolutely sure that the policy language is being accurately interpreted. We often have to get a group together to discuss a claim and sometimes get a legal opinion. That's those of us who care. Sometimes the first adjuster you get is wrong. It happens. Don't be rude. Ask for a manager to review it. Just be nice about it.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RBee7
As a claims adjuster I had to drop in and correct the inaccuracies. If the driver not on the contract gets in an accident then if they have their own insurance policy that will likely cover the damage to the rental vehicle as a non owned auto. Read the language on now owned autos..
you know that it is 10 years since the post you are replying to was made ?

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 25, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Given the age of this thread plus the topic, I'm going to go ahead and close it.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.