Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

how illegal is it to let someone else drive your rental car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how illegal is it to let someone else drive your rental car?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by sba110
It some situation, you're correct, in others, you aren't.

You can't make a general statement about insurance like that. People have different policies with different rules, and there are certainly situations in which your personal insurance covers other drivers besides your spouse.

And they might even do so if they're driving the car that they aren't authorized to drive. Then some people have umbrella liability policies. It's too complicated to give a single answer.
If you press charges against the driver who was driving without contract, your insurance coverage will stay, if you don't both you and the driver are in violation of the contract, nullifying pretty much every form of insurance coverage as you were participating in an illegal activity (a violation of pretty much every insurance). Sure it's not killing someone (although in an accident that is possible), but it is still illegal.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:26 am

As others have said, it varies from country to country (or State to State in US). In the UK, it is definitely illegal. In UK, even if you have a policy that covers you to drive other cars, that policy will always be endorsed "provided you have the owner's permission to drive" - and as you don't have the rental company permission you are not covered.
Also be aware that the Hertz #1 spouse coverage thing only applies in the US/Canada. It does not apply in Europe
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 2MM, HY Diamond, ZE Pres
I've never had a problem adding a driver to a rental at the Hertz counter.

Haven't yet tried to add one after the fact, by calling Hertz. Has anyone done this? At the counter, they enter the drivers license info of the additional driver, so maybe they do need to see the license in person.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by howard-socal
I've never had a problem adding a driver to a rental at the Hertz counter.

Haven't yet tried to add one after the fact, by calling Hertz. Has anyone done this? At the counter, they enter the drivers license info of the additional driver, so maybe they do need to see the license in person.
Unfortunately an additional driver cannot be added over the phone. You & the additional driver need to be seen in person. However, this can be accomplished at any location so if you get 100 miles away from where you rented from and there is a local HLE then the local HLE can add them on.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Here's a hypothetical question:

I'm the only driver while on vacation with my family. Let's say I fall out of a ferris wheel and become incapacitated. How do we go about getting the car back to Hertz?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984

I'm the only driver while on vacation with my family. Let's say I fall out of a ferris wheel and become incapacitated. How do we go about getting the car back to Hertz?
Hertz will do a pickup for a fee...?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by spades097
A spouse is automatically authorized for #1 Club members.

A spouse is free to add for AAA

Here in the UK #1 members (whether US, Canada or UK) spouses are not automatically covered and use of AAA CDP in the UK does not alllow free add drivers either
Old Oct 8, 2009, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984

I think the terms & conditions have a paragraph about emergencies. I would just call roadside and see what they say if that ever happens.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
I realize that I'm being a bit pedantic here but what about valets? I practically always valet my car at hotels, and often at restaurants too, and they're not authorized drivers.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
I realize that I'm being a bit pedantic here but what about valets? I practically always valet my car at hotels, and often at restaurants too, and they're not authorized drivers.
Wow, good question - I never thought about that - I use valet on rentals all the time....

Obviously, the hotel/resteraunt is ultimately liable, but could be a lot of hassle along the way.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
That IS interesting actually!

If something did happen and I wasn't covered I would be making ALOT of noise to the Managers and then owners of the establishment!
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
For what it's worth, I just had to add my friends as authorized drivers to a leisure rental I booked. The fee was 3$ a day and one of my friends was not able to be added at the LGA location because his license had him living in Flushing (Queens), NY. His fiance/wife had no issues being added.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:40 am

I don't have a rental jacket to refer to right now but I'm pretty sure there is something in the terms about valets and that they are authorized...
Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:50 pm

If you would be "sick" or have an "emergency" the rental jacket, t/c, would give you leeway. I am going to check at my office in the morning, I have a jacket from my last weeks rental. But I am 99.9% sure that "in case of emergency" would cover a non listed driver.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: F
Just resurrecting this old thread with some new information: I asked Hertz the question and received the following reply:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Does the rental agreement (Hertz Gold member) cover valet parking?...

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Ewa) - 22/02/2011 01.41 PM
Dear Mr Redshift27

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

I would like to confirm, that our rates cover valet parking.
Valet attendants are authorized operators for the length of time it takes to park or retrieve a car.

We remain at your service and thank you for contacting Hertz.

Yours sincerely

Hertz Internet Helpdesk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.