FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 11:21 am

Interline Delta to HA going LAX-HNL-LIH

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody had any experiences doing an interline luggage transfer betwn Delta and HA. My itinerary:

- Arrive in HNL (from LAX) via Delta at 1105 on Fri 7/18
- Depart HNL (to LIH) via HA at 1220 on Fri 7/18

I plan to check my luggage all the way through at the LAX counter, but was curious if 75 minutes (assuming neither airline adjusts their times) is dicey. I know HA has a decent rep for being on-time; afaik, Delta's not-so-much.

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2008, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mander
I think I got this right but thought I would post to be sure. Due to Aloha going out of business, I have rebooked our original itinerary as an open jaw for the family OMA-OGG, HNL-OMA on United and a separate ticket on HA OGG-HNL. The HA flight arrives at 346 on 12/31 and the HNL-ORD flight leaves at 525. My questions:

1. HA in OGG should be able to interline all the way to OMA on UA. Correct?

2. On 12/31 we should check in with UA online in advance. Correct? If so what do we say when it asks if we will be checking bags? Yes, I assume, even though we will be checking the bags with HA in OGG?
United just changed the flight time to 515 so that gives me a 1:29 connect. Is this legal for interlining from a OGG-HNL to a HNL-ORD flight? Is it wise? Should I book an earlier flight OGG-HNL?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Flying Delta to HNL...check bags to LIH on Hawaiian???

We'll be flying into HNL in July on Delta. From everything I've seen/heard, DL will have no problem checking our bags all the way through to LIH, as long as I show them the itinerary when checking in. We'll be flying Hawaiian from HNL on the same day that we arrive into HNL. There will be about an 1.5 hours between mainland flight and inter-island flight. Some recent postings on TripAdvisor have me worried that Hawaiian will not get our checked bags to Lihue at the same time that we are getting there. I figure now that Hawaiian is a SkyTeam partner...it should be no problem....am I mistaken?

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jtrue28

I figure now that Hawaiian is a SkyTeam partner...it should be no problem....am I mistaken?
huh?

1.5 hours is plenty of time for them to get your bags to your HA flight.

-David
Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I think you need go to ticket counter but, DL agents will have your checked the bags with HA. Just show your flight itinerary from HA. If you flying into HNL but, the bags will be automatically to HA. You don't have need go to baggage claim after you landed in HNL. Once your bags will transferred your next flight from HNL. Thank you in advance to understanding where your bags will be automatically to your final destinations cities instead of HNL.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Have you had a chance to look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761311 ?

HA is not a part of Skyteam, nor has there been any announcement to that effect. HA has recently partnered with DL to provide reciprocal frequent flyer benefits but baggage interline agreements between the two carriers (a very separate thing from the former) have been in place for years now.

Just show anything with an Eticket number for your HA flight to the DL counter and they'll be able to check your bags through. 90 minutes is highly recommended; in fact for AA, it is the minimum time that they'll accept bags for interline checkin. There is of course no guarantee that the bags will make your HA-connecting flight. Too short a connection (which might occur if your inbound DL flight is delayed or late) might cause your bags to misconnect, in which case they'll be on the next flight to LIH. Too long a connection (which might occur if your DL flight gets in real early--but that's highly unlikely) might cause your bags to go on an earlier flight and you'll have your bags waiting for you at LIH. That's always a plus since you don't have to wait for them.

Most important of all, check the bag tags before the DL agents put your bag on the conveyor (or tell you to take it to the screening machine) to ensure that it's tagged to LIH and not to HNL.

Good luck.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM .313 MM & CRC, AA .453 MM, HH Silver, Priority Club, Fairmont President's Club
Connection times HA to DL at HNL

I'm visiting Maui in December and wondered how long I should allow to connect from a HA flight from OGG to HNL to a DL mainland departure. There's a HA flight that arrives at HNL at 237 pm. Under ordinary circumstances will that allow sufficient time to connect to the 400 pm DL flight to ATL? There are earlier HA flights, of course, but they're already getting pricey for my departure date.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
should work under ordinary circumstances

The official quote from HA is 1 hour if you want to interline your luggage.

I would check in for your DL flight online & print your BP's while on Maui so you can show them to HA GA's in OGG. That way your bags are tagged all the way, and you can leisurely walk from the interisland terminal to the DL gate inside the sterile side of the airport. Then just show your BP's and HA check bag receipts to the DL GA's and you are done.

The sterile side walk from interisland to the main terminal is 10-15 minutes depending on the location of the DL gate. There is a small x-ray machine as you leave interisland for agriculture inspection of your carry on.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SpiritofEcstasy
I'm visiting Maui in December and wondered how long I should allow to connect from a HA flight from OGG to HNL to a DL mainland departure. There's a HA flight that arrives at HNL at 237 pm. Under ordinary circumstances will that allow sufficient time to connect to the 400 pm DL flight to ATL? There are earlier HA flights, of course, but they're already getting pricey for my departure date.
It's always easier doing the connection & interline with luggage with an inbound from a neighbor island than it is from a Mainland US city. While there's always a chance of a misconnect, it's far less riskier and your connection should be fine.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Can you stay airside commuter terminal to inter-island terminal?

I know you can stay airside if connecting from the inter-island terminal to the commuter terminal via the the escalator and "tunnel" at the Ewa-end of the inter-island terminal, but what about going the other direction?

If you have an arriving flight on WP, can you stay airside/post-security and connect to the inter-island terminal where one could then catch the WikiWiki to the United gates?

Any recent experience?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Red face interline bags from CO to go!

I read an old post that said CO did not interline baggage to go! in HNL. Is that still true? I have the follwing DAY>IAH>HNL arrives 12:45 pm. Then I have go! for HNL>JHM departing 3:10. I think I have time enough even with no interline but I would appreciate your advice so I know what to expect.

I reverse the intineriary coming back except I go JHM>HNL arriving ~8:30 am but do not leave for HNL>IAH>DAY until 7:55 pm. If interlining the baggage is not possible do I have any options for keeping it at the airport? I plan on some sight seeing (Pearl, Diamond Head, Punch Bowl, maybe Waikiki).

Arrival and departure are both on Sunday in early September.

OBTW. Taking wife, SIL, and BIL using DL points on CO at 35K per RT and got extra leg room coach seats on all segements. Using Marriott point saver for 7 nights at the Ritz at 190,000 per room for two rooms. Great deals on both and both were found via FlyerTalk!!!!

7/12/08 UPDATE
go! does not interline bags with Continental. Should have checked before I booked 4 non-refundable tickets!

Last edited by jascp; Jul 13, 2008 at 9:09 pm Reason: Answering my own question
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:57 pm

Security question at HNL

Delta has pushed up our flight from LAX to HNL - we now have a 2 1/2 hour wait for our go! flight to LIH. I'm a smoker and I know I need to go outside security to smoke. If I leave the main terminal security, can I come back through the main terminal security to go to Stinger Ray's? I know the commuter terminal has it's own security gate, but I don't think it has a restaurant/bar. Just don't want any security hassle because I don't have a ticket for an airline in the main terminal.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Yes, just tell them you've come over to eat at one of the restaurants should they ask.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:06 am

We have a three hour layover in HNL (w/ 3 kids) this December. Any suggestions of where to go or what to do? We are arriving from the Mainland after a nine-hour flight and catching a HA flight to OGG. I am familiar with the airport (and the terminal change), but have never spent that much time there. Is there anywhere where we can relax and the kids can run around or rest if they chose. I tried the link at the top of the thread and it didn't work.

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stefa
We have a three hour layover in HNL (w/ 3 kids) this December. Any suggestions of where to go or what to do? We are arriving from the Mainland after a nine-hour flight and catching a HA flight to OGG. I am familiar with the airport (and the terminal change), but have never spent that much time there. Is there anywhere where we can relax and the kids can run around or rest if they chose. I tried the link at the top of the thread and it didn't work.

Thanks
Could you kindly point out the broken link so we can fix it?

Re: place to relax. Try the garden area mentioned above with pictures. There's a number of benches scattered around the area and it's always pretty empty. If I have spare time, I'll usually grab something from the restaurants up stairs, walk down to the Garden area, find a nice place to sit and pull out a book.

There's also a garden near the interisland terminal but it's not as nice, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.