Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by HNL
What airline are you flight to HNL? If you're flying UA, that 30 minute connection is almost impossible.
Ditto.

The only 30 minute connection I'd ever book is an inter-island to inter-island connection.

From UA or NW, it would be an unlikely connection to make.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by cblaisd
From UA or NW, it would be an unlikely connection to make.
Or really any airline for that matter unless you're seating in F or close to the door. Parking and unloading a widebody can take awhile, so while you may touch down with 30 minutes, by the time you get to the gate and deplane, you might be down to 15 (and by then you already have to be on board or else your seats are canceled).
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by HNL
What airline are you flight to HNL? If you're flying UA, that 30 minute connection is almost impossible.
Coming in on CO. 35 minute connect. I really don't think I can make it either. The next 3 flights out are a all priced $25ish each higher. Thought if I booked the 35 minute connect and couldn't make it they might take mercy on me and put us on the next avail without changing the fee. I know it's kind of petty in the grand scheme of things, but still! lol

Not likely?

I "could" burn 15K each on RT award tiks but really don't have tons to burn (100K or so)

Last edited by lovetotravel06; Nov 27, 2008 at 2:02 am
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Given HA's attitude of late, I think they'd ding you for the change fee, which would be at least $25. Since you're on a separate ticket, and since your connection is below the MCT, I just don't think they're likely to grant you "mercy" here. Right now flights are pretty full inter-island, and you would hate to end up spending time at the airport waiting for a spot to open up (once this year when a 6 hour meeting turned into a two hour one, I sat through three outbound departures that were totally full and ended up on my original, even though I was on the standby list -- which HA does only for those with HA status).

The likelihood is that you'll pay at least a $25 change fee if you miss your booked 25 minute-connection flight, and it could be much worse if there are few/no seats in a reasonable time.

Pay the $25/ticket up front and you'll have peace of mind.

If you have UA miles, you can also use them for 10K for a round-trip, or 5K for a one-way.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd

Pay the $25/ticket up front and you'll have peace of mind.

If you have UA miles, you can also use them for 10K for a round-trip, or 5K for a one-way.
Thanks for the reply. ^

I'm definitely coughing up the cash. The waiting game does not sound good. Only other option would be to use NWA miles.

I can book the flights I need on HA for 15K RT. I think the tiks come to a little over $160 each on HA. Seems like the $160 is the way to go.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:45 pm

I agree with you because I suspect that you'll find that the flights that have NW partner award availability are the flights that are cheaper anyway. I booked a one-way with UA miles for an inter-island flight and had to take two flights later than the one I would have preferred, since there were no partner award seats available on the earlier flights.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:12 am

The flight to OGG does require using perk pass (10K) to get "my ideal time" but the return only requires perk saver (5K) and is my ideal time to boot.

I can't seem to get it to let me book one way on the 5K however. Have to do the whole RT. Anyway around that? If not, I think I'll just buy the tiks. 15K each seems a bit steep for a $160ish RT tik.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lovetotravel06
The flight to OGG does require using perk pass (10K) to get "my ideal time" but the return only requires perk saver (5K) and is my ideal time to boot.

I can't seem to get it to let me book one way on the 5K however. Have to do the whole RT. Anyway around that? If not, I think I'll just buy the tiks. 15K each seems a bit steep for a $160ish RT tik.
Unfortunately, you can't get around the R/T redemptions when using partner airline miles (in this case, WP miles). 15k is steep for $160 R/T. You could upgrade your flights to/from HNL for almost that mileage amount (worth $250/350 a piece in my book).
Old Nov 28, 2008, 6:35 am

Do I dare fly Go on the first leg to save $25 each? It's been a couple years since we first flew them. We had zero problems but I hear bad stuff! Advise please?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 8:35 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lovetotravel06
Do I dare fly Go on the first leg to save $25 each? It's been a couple years since we first flew them. We had zero problems but I hear bad stuff! Advise please?
I'm not sure you'll find many go! fans on this forum or elsewhere. Personally I would not fly them, I'm not interested in supporting their business since I think they were instrumental in driving Aloha Airlines out of business - but that is going OT.

What is the timing between the inbound flight from the mainland and the go! flight? You should keep in mind that go! departs from the commuter terminal, which will add about 5 to 10 minutes more to your walk from your arrival gate.

The choice to save a few bucks and fly go! is yours to make. Have a look at Pacific Wings, Mokulele, or Island Air – and if you are going to West Maui flying to Kapaula Airport (JHM) can be a HUGE timesaver (up to 90 minutes drive time saved depending on where you are staying) and can help justify paying a little more for the ticket.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:41 am

I have 1:45 between my arrival on CO and the Go flight to OGG so that works well.

I've checked all the other avenues and they don't work. West Maui would be fine but I have a car that's at OGG (rate was ridiculously good) so...

Anyway, thanks for the replie/s. I'll probably book HA although it gripes my a** a bit that they're gouging a bit (my opinion).
Old Nov 28, 2008, 3:04 pm

Update... Woke up and said the hell with it! Booked HA both ways. I said to myself.."self, you do know that you're spending thousands of $ on this little vacation don't you"? Upon reflection, $40ish didn't seem like too big of a deal!

Thanks for the help and replies guys. ^
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Question Please help!

Currently booked for January:

HA 105 dep OGG 6:24a - arr HNL 6:58a

connecting to...

UA 72 dep HNL 7:58a - arr SFO 3:01p

Will have: rental car to return (Avis), toddler (4 yr old), and 2 large suitcases (flying F - so no checked bag fees expected).

The 2 flights are on separate tix.

Here's the question:

By reading this thread (albeit post facto ), I have realized that my two tickets are violating the MCT at HNL (stated as 1h15m).

I could rebook my HA ticket onto HA 205 dep OGG 6:04a and arr HNL 6:38a, which clears me for the MCT. I would have to pay a change fee with HA, but that's not a big deal ($30 x 2?).

But I'm concerned because on Avis's website, their hours state opening at OGG 5:30a. And I can't anywhere find what USDA hours at OGG are for pre-screening checked luggage.

My worry is that I'll arrive at OGG with a toddler, 2 big bags, and a rental car. If Avis isn't open, I can't simply drop off the car and leave the keys, since the lot is remote and requires a shuttle back to the terminal. I could short-term park and check-in, then return the car after Avis opens, but I don't know if USDA will be open that early. And my bags would presumably need to be checked in by 5:19a (if I'm on the earlier flight) to make the 45 min cutoff.

I haven't rebooked the tix yet. In all cases I can easily check-in online and pre-print boarding passes for all flights. Would you:

A) Keep the ticket as booked. (Will HA likely overlook the MCT and thru-check my bags to UA on the 60min connection? It's been years since I flew HA - my memories were that they were loosey-goosey, but from this board it sounds less so now).

B) Re-book for the early flight and return the car to Avis first. (Does anyone know when Avis shuttles to terminal really start running? And how strict are HA about checked bags at 45 mins? I know UA is an absolute stickler for this.)

C) Re-book for the early flight, park short-term, and check in first. (Does anyone know what times the USDA screeners and HA counter open up?). Obviously this would require me to return to the car, drive to Avis, hop on the shuttle, then go through TSA security in time for boarding.

D) Other????
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You can call OGG's Ag Screening number here:
(808) 872-3848 (or alternatively, OGG's visitor information: (808) 872-3893)

And they should be able to give you hours.

If it were me, I'd go with option A. Return the car at 5:30, motor it on the first shuttle to the terminal, speed through check-in (this is all provided the ag screening is open at this time... if it's not, that's trouble, as you'll likely have to reclaim bags in HNL and recheck with ag screening there), hope greatly that the flight is on-time (and that I'm seated as close to the front of the cabin as possible), then speed through HNL upon arrival to the UA gates (this is tricky too because UA's gates are farthest from the interisland terminal), and hope that my bags make it on time. You'd cut it incredibly close but it's doable and doesn't require a change fee.

If you want peace of mind though, $60 doesn't sound too bad for an extra 20 minutes. But who knows? That first HA flight could be delayed (unlikely), the second HA flight you're on now could get in early into HNL (perhaps likely). It's ashame no one can see the future...

Good luck!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:07 am

I would also consider whether it might be worthwhile changing to a flight to HNL the evening before, pick up a $150 room at the Airport Ohana Hotel, and then simply get shuttled by the hotel shuttle bus to check-in the following morning.

Yes, there are better hotels in Honolulu, but the recently remodeled Airport Ohana Hotel is made to order for this kind of situation, imo.

I don't know what the 24 hour clock is on your rental, but you might offset part of the cost by a shorter rental car time while on Maui.

In fact, if you decide on this route, I have a $50 hotelclub.com credit I'd be happy to pass along to you.

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.