Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:23 am

Tiki's restaurant, located in the Waikiki Beach Hotel building on Kalaukava Ave in Waikiki (closer to the Zoo) is nice. It has seating on an outside terrace, with ocean views. It's very pleasant atmosphere and good food/service.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Indian Restaurants in Honolulu

Looking for suggestions for excellent Indian restaurant in Honolulu.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:43 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
One restaurant that is an interesting mix of Indian and Malaysian fare is India Cafe in Kilohano Square. It's about a 10 minute drive from mid-Waikiki off Kapahulu Avenue. The Honolulu Advertiser review is here . It's also in the Entertainment book. Beware if you're going for lunch, it's only open for lunch on the weekends.

TF
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:51 am
Suspended

Aloha! Help Me Eat Oahu!

Aloha! I want to thank all of you for suggesting many quiet places from my last post. Since a lot of those places are scattered around the island, I've decided to take a drive around the Oahu Island and EAT OAHU!

So, I'm heading North from Waikiki Beach up to Polynesian Cultural Center, down to Waimea Bay then going through central Oahu to Mililiani and back to Waikiki (day 1), then drive Westward to Ko'Olinda up to Kaneana Cave, then again down central Oahu to Mililani, then back to Pearl Harbor.

So, please help me eat Oahu by picking a restaurant and a coffee house/cafe that I must go to at the following stops: (Feel free to throw in more info about the places or add other must go destinations)

1. Honolulu/Waikiki Beach
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe: Coffee Talk, Sureshot Cafe
Restaurant:
2. Hanauma Bay
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant: Kona Brewery (Rozalyne)
3. Kailua
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant:
4. Kane'ohe Bay
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant:
5. Kahana Bay
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant:
6. La'ie/Polynesian Cultural Center
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant: Giovanni's Shrimp Truck (Fishbait), Romy's Kahuku Shrimp (kingalien)
7. Waimea Bay
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe: Ted's Bakery
Restaurant:
8. Mililani
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant: Waldo's Great Flying Pizza Company
9. Pearl City/Honolulu
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant:
10. Ko'Olinda
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant:
11. Makaha
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant:

Let's eat Oahu and Mahalo Robin!

Last edited by Jamie Jack and Stench; Jun 14, 2006 at 8:15 pm Reason: Adding to the list
Old Jun 14, 2006, 2:22 pm

Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant: Giovanni's Shrimp Truck

Robin
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by Fishbait
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant: Giovanni's Shrimp Truck

Robin
Hmmm, my vote goes to Romy's Kahuku Shrimp. ^
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jamie Jack and Stench
2. Hanauma Bay
Coffee/Bakery/Cafe:
Restaurant:
As for Hanauma Bay: in the nearby Hawaii Kai, there is a nice place called Kona Brewery; located in the shopping center, across from Starbucks and Foodland (or, is it Safeway? - a grocery store). It's right on the water (not ocean, but canal, - still, very pleasant); they have outside patio seating. They serve excellent pizzas, excellent salads, etc, etc; plus a wide range of locally brewed Kona beer (I am not a beer drinker; but even I liked it). Prices are very reasonable. I've eaten there lunch and dinner on many occassions, and always enjoyed it.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by kingalien
Hmmm, my vote goes to Romy's Kahuku Shrimp. ^
I use Romy's for my fresh shrimp purchases, and always ate there too, until I tried Giovannis' Garlic Shrimp.. OMG, maybe it was just the mood I was in that particular day, or maybe I just got a great batch, but it was incredible!! Unlike anything I had ever had before. But Romy's still gets my fresh shrimp business, and I'll give them another "cooked" chance in a few months.

Another couple ideas:

Casual Dining: Haleiwa - Haleiwa Joe's, touristy, packed, but serves some great appetizers. Kua Aina Sandwich for sandwiches and burgers.

Fancier Dining: Haleiwa/Turtle Bay - Lei Leis on the golf course at Turtle Bay is great, the bar is even greater . People (tourists?) swear by Jamieson's, but we thought it was stuffy and food just ok (we live at the beach in NJ, and its the same over-priced, tourist kinda place we have around here.)

Robin

Last edited by Fishbait; Jun 15, 2006 at 7:17 am
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by Fishbait
I use Romy's for my fresh shrimp purchases, and always ate there too, until I tried Giovannis' Garlic Shrimp.. OMG, maybe it was just the mood I was in that particular day, or maybe I just got a great batch, but it was incredible!! Unlike anything I had ever had before. But Romy's still gets my fresh shrimp business, and I'll give them another "cooked" chance in a few months.
Every time I've been to Romy's, the line was always 3-4 times the size of Giovanni's so I've never bothered trying them. But since you said the magic word, garlic , I'll give them a try the next time, also in a few months ^ .
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:14 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
For the Honolulu/Kaimuiki area, I'd suggest JJ's French Pastry rather than Coffee Talk. Try the Chocolate Pyramid cake. Yum!

Giovanni's White Shrimp truck for shrimp scampi - make sure it's the authentic one.

TF
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Giovanni's by far... and we had a much longer line there than Romy's. You can also get beer nearby too ^
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta SM, National Emerald Club, Loyal to any Hotel with Free Booze and Breakfast
Cheap Eats in Hawaii (Honolulu)

For all of you visiting the island of Oahu check out the link below

http://khnl.com/Global/category.asp?...nav=menu55_6_2

Site gives you info and videos of cheap (sometimes not so cheap) eats in Hawaii . Its basically a news station which profiles a different restaurant every week. I assume most local people already know about "Cheap Eats". The restaurants are primarily on Oahu very few neighbor island stops. Towards the middle of the page their is also a section that archives their older videos so click on a letter and maybe find a restaurant you're looking for. Good luck and happy eating.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:15 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Perry's Smorgy buffet
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:01 pm

Food Courts = Cheap Eats

Originally Posted by PlnCzy
Thanks! Very use in planning my upcoming trip to Hawaii.
Don't forget food courts in Ala Moana (shopping) Center and to a lesser extent in the International Market Place. Many choices. One of our favorites is BBQ chicken at Yummie Korean BBQ. 4 pieces, 2 scoops of rice and 4 modest vegs. for appx. $6. Enough for two normal people to share. Have fun. Ken
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:12 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Don't forget food courts in Ala Moana (shopping) Center and to a lesser extent in the International Market Place.
Don't do that Oriental Buffett on the second floor in the International Market Place. Nasty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.