Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Bringing/shipping pineapples from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Bringing/shipping pineapples from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The price of pineapples has gone up! The Costco/Sam's price was $3.78 per pineapple and the Safeway sales price was $.99 per pound. I stopped at the Pearl City Sam's Club just before my flight to gas up my rental and found a decently-colored pineapple in the produce section to put in my carry on shopping bag (along with my Pipeline malasadas and Big Island Candies shortbread cookies).
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The price of pineapples has gone up! The Costco/Sam's price was $3.78 per pineapple and the Safeway sales price was $.99 per pound. I stopped at the Pearl City Sam's Club just before my flight to gas up my rental and found a decently-colored pineapple in the produce section to put in my carry on shopping bag (along with my Pipeline malasadas and Big Island Candies shortbread cookies).
Indeed! I paid the same $3++ at Costco and was amazed at the poor selection at Safeway where the same pineapple would have run $7 given the weight - which is approaching tourist prices at Dole Plantation for the exact same pineapple. I think I was paying $2-something for the same pineapple at Costco a year ago.

At least I can reduce my overall cost by planting the heads in my garden where after about 2 years I have 1-2 more pineapples

The crop they sell now are all Dole commercial grade, and need to hit a certain ripeness to be sweet otherwise I can't tell them apart from the gas ripened crap from Costa Rica. The specialty pineapples like the sweet white flesh Kona variety seem permanently gone from the stores.

One interesting fact I learned from Dole Plantation (the visits are never a total waste) - you can tell ripeness not just from the color, but from the size of the eyes on the pineapple. You want a relatively uniform size of eye from the base up to the crown which shows the pineapple was picked in a ripened state, vs much larger eyes at the base and small ones at the crown where the pineapple will never really ripen properly and just get softer with age without developing its full sweet flavor.
FlyinHawaiian and ExpatExp like this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was at the Sam’s Club in Pearl City after gassing up my car and wasn’t happy with the pineapples they had there; luckily, I found these at the Keeamoku store. The selection at the Hawaii Kai and Iwilei Costco were equally good. Once again, no issues carrying these on my flight back to the mainland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.