Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Parking in Waikiki - options, questions, suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Popular Suggestion is the Waikiki Banyan at the Diamond Head side of Waikiki. Daily parking with in-and-out,
https://www.waikikibanyan.org/public...-1-april-2022/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Parking in Waikiki - options, questions, suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by westcoastman
Serious lack of updates in the Hawaii forum.
Update on parking. Meter parking in the Sheraton Princess/Hyatt/Marriott Hotel area, if you can find an open one, are .25 for 10 minutes/$1.50 an hour for up to two hours between 7am and 6pm. Parking nazi's beginning patrolling no later than 8 AM and religiously travel up and down the nearby roads several times per day. Tickets are $35 for an expired meter.
The Banyan Condo still offers 24 hour parking for $10 though is can be at least a ten minute hike back to the hotel. You can go in and out 24 hours a day. You can pay $60 for the week but must pay individually for daily rates. They would rather you show up early to pay for another 24 hours then show up even five minutes late.
If you don't need a full 24 hours then King's Village parking behind the Hyatt has parking for $8 for 10 hours. They close at 2:30 am and reopen in the morning but if you stay over 10 hours the rate goes up to their new daily rate of $18.
Thanks for the updates westcoastman ^

Will be in HNL in 15 days or so, so need to figure out what I am doing (car/no car, hotel, etc...)

Like the free parking idea, but then again, that would be an early morning start :yawn: but if heading to Pearl Harbor, not a bad thing...
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
Does anyone have any advice for reasonable overnight parking for a rental car near the Doubletree Alana Hotel Waikiki? It is near the corner of Alana Moana Blvd and Kalakaua Ave.

Alternate transportation is not an option. Trip has two-fold purpose:
1 - for business, which means my expenses will be reimbursed, so parking not an issue
2 - for pleasure - my boyfriend, who will be renting a separate vehicle so he can explore while I'm working, would like to travel to the North Shore to take photos (and stop anywhere along the way that strikes him)

$27 for overnight parking at the hotel is pretty steep and BF would prefer to park his rental car somewhere nearby the hotel for not as much dough.

Will be traveling in mid- to late-February if that makes a difference. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:06 pm

Low-cost parking around Hilton Hawaiian Village, Double Tree, Ilikai & Hawaii Prince

Originally Posted by lexi
Does anyone have any advice for reasonable overnight parking for a rental car near the Doubletree Alana Hotel Waikiki? It is near the corner of Ala Moana Blvd and Kalakaua Ave.

$27 for overnight parking at the hotel is pretty steep and BF would prefer to park his rental car somewhere nearby the hotel for not as much dough.
There is actually some free street parking there. But (a) it is very hard to explain to someone not familiar with that area; and (b) it is definitely not to be counted on for overnight parking, that's for sure.

But here are feasible parking options in the area of Hilton Hawaiian Village, Double Tree, Ilikai, and Hawaii Prince Hotels. Option 1: There is a large open public parking lot by the Hilton Lagoon behind the Ilikai. The Ilikai is easy to spot - it is located on Ala Moana Blvd and is of white and turcoise color. To get to that parking lot, go towards the ocean on the street between the Hilton Village and the Ilikai or on Hobron Lane (there is a Red Lobster restaurant at that corner). Then drive towards the boats, and you will see the parking. The rates are 25 cents per hour, you can pay for hours in advance. Please note that some people may express concerns about parking there overnight, as there are some people camping out in that area. I know tons of people who have parked there and also several people who keep their boats there (there is a yacht club there), and they never had problems. But some do express valid concerns, so beware. During the day, it is certainly no issue and is a great option. For overnight parking, the option below may be more suitable.

Option 2: There is another parking option there for overnight. There is a commercially operated garage in the same building where the Red Lobster is. To get to it, turn into Hobron Lane towards the ocean, you will see the entrance to the garage. They charge a flat rate of $5 for up to 10 hours (but no in-out privil.), to be paid upfront. But beware that after those 10 hours they will charge you $3.50 for each 30 minutes. This is a commercial garage, with an attendant etc, so your car will be safe there overnight. This could be a good option for overnight parking, just make sure to get the car before the 10 hours expire.

In terms of distances: Both of the above options are within 5 minutes walking to the Hilton Village, Hawaii Prince, and the Ilikai, and maybe 5-7 minutes walking to Double Tree.

Option 3: There is also a commercial garage in Eaton Square. If you turn into Hobron Lane but away from the ocean then drive one block and you will end up at the entrance to that garage. They charge $6 flat for up to 9 hours. About 4-7 minutes walking to Double Tree.

By the way, in the same building as the Red Lobster and garage, there is Chart House, a cute and rather popular restaurant. It is located on the ocean side of the building, with views of the harbor and boats, a neat place. Another dining option: the Hawaii Prince hotel has a great buffet. It is rather expensive, but great food, excellent selection, and a beautiful dining room with a glass wall facing the ocean, a great choice for a dining experience.

Last edited by Coconut Travel Hawaii; Jan 4, 2010 at 12:07 am
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
Originally Posted by Coconut Travel Hawaii
There is actually some free street parking there. But (a) it is very hard to explain to someone not familiar with that area; and (b) it is definitely not to be counted on for overnight parking, that's for sure.

But here are feasible parking options in the area of Hilton Hawaiian Village, Double Tree, Ilikai, and Hawaii Prince Hotels....
Coconut,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! The parking (and dining!) information will come in very handy.

Thanks again!!!!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastman
The Banyan Condo still offers 24 hour parking for $10 though is can be at least a ten minute hike back to the hotel. You can go in and out 24 hours a day. You can pay $60 for the week but must pay individually for daily rates. They would rather you show up early to pay for another 24 hours then show up even five minutes late.
Thanks for this. We'll be staying a few nights at the Marriott in July and this is perfect. Let's hope the Escalade we've hired will fit and the same rate is still available!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
If I may.... get rid of that Escalade. Those parking garages are tight to get around in - particularly the lot at the Banyan.

Unless you already own an SUV that big and are accustomed to getting it into tight spaces, IMHO, you are going to have a great deal of difficulty in the lots. Heck, we have difficulty with a full size car sometimes.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Mary2e
If I may.... get rid of that Escalade. Those parking garages are tight to get around in - particularly the lot at the Banyan.

Unless you already own an SUV that big and are accustomed to getting it into tight spaces, IMHO, you are going to have a great deal of difficulty in the lots. Heck, we have difficulty with a full size car sometimes.
I noticed.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

And yet the number of Escalades on this island grows...
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:35 pm

Thanks but we've got the whole family and need the space for luggage/prams etc. We parked once near RQ/Aston Sunset last time and this was fine.

We do quite a bit of shopping especially at Waikele, so the SUV is right for us. If I had my way, I would have a convertable!

Last edited by ChrisBNE; Jan 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Any ideas near the Embassy Suites? i was looking for a rental car near, for the day-day option, if that isn't too much of a hassle, for 6 days.. (maybe driving around 3-4 of the days)
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Coconut Travel Hawaii

But here are feasible parking options in the area of Hilton Hawaiian Village, Double Tree, Ilikai, and Hawaii Prince Hotels. Option 1: There is a large open public parking lot by the Hilton Lagoon behind the Ilikai. The Ilikai is easy to spot - it is located on Ala Moana Blvd and is of white and turcoise color. To get to that parking lot, go towards the ocean on the street between the Hilton Village and the Ilikai or on Hobron Lane (there is a Red Lobster restaurant at that corner). Then drive towards the boats, and you will see the parking. The rates are 25 cents per hour, you can pay for hours in advance. Please note that some people may express concerns about parking there overnight, as there are some people camping out in that area. I know tons of people who have parked there and also several people who keep their boats there (there is a yacht club there), and they never had problems. But some do express valid concerns, so beware. During the day, it is certainly no issue and is a great option.
Sorry to report that as of today (Feb 1, 2010), this is no longer an option. Happen to be visiting this week, and yesterday I parked there but the pay machines were covered with bags and labeled that they would be available today. So got free parking for the afternoon. Then it was all explained when the local news station this morning had a story about how the new policy at this lot is $1 per hour with a 6 hour maximum. Said the change is because construction workers and other employees of nearby businesses were parking there all day and taking up the spaces so visitors were not able to find parking.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bwc175
Sorry to report that as of today (Feb 1, 2010), this is no longer an option. Happen to be visiting this week, and yesterday I parked there but the pay machines were covered with bags and labeled that they would be available today. So got free parking for the afternoon. Then it was all explained when the local news station this morning had a story about how the new policy at this lot is $1 per hour with a 6 hour maximum. Said the change is because construction workers and other employees of nearby businesses were parking there all day and taking up the spaces so visitors were not able to find parking.

Was parking there just this past month... (I actually found it by accident ) and was a great parking area... (although I think it ate one of my dollar coins ) but sad to see this go...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
Anywhere to park car for free in HNL???

Got a free stay at hilton the whole week dont want to pay the $25 a day to park the rental

thx for help
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:32 pm

Only rent a car for the days you'll need it. Alternatively, consider how inexpensive your trip is and how much more you'd be paying to park in Boston.

There are places you can park free, but it would be so much of a hassle keeping it ticket free, you'll likely ruin your vacation.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Spg, AA, United
Re: HVV Parking

There is paid parking near the marina across from the Rainbow Tower. Pay at night (I think 6-12 hours, about $6.00) and then more to free parking during the day (to about 11:00. Saves a ton of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.