Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

George's Aviation - Fly Interisland Charter Style?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

http://www.georgesaviation.com/index.htm

I've been hearing commericals about George's Aviation for quite some time now. They advertise chartered interisland flights where if you get enough people together, the price is reasonable and you can get to the airport 10 minutes before your flight.

Anyone know what the rates are like for an interisland trip? I know they're Cessnas but it would be helpful information for those seeking alternative routes between islands without the hassle of flying AQ, HA or Island Air.

Aloha
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I rented a Cessna 177 from George's last week. While there, one of their charter flights to Molokai departed (it was about 3:00 p.m.) in a Piper Chieftain, a nine seat (plus two crew) twin engine plane.

I was told scheduled flights to Molokai are only every Wednesday, but on-demand other days. The demand is substantial enough that it ends up operating almost every day.

It seems like a good way to go if you are coming from Honolulu city - less so if transferring from the passenger terminal. They don't have a pickup service, so you have to take a $10.50 cab ride to the parking lot on the end of lagoon drive, or walk around the perimeter of the airport for three miles (about 1 hour). There is free parking at this lot, and is super convenient as you walk only about 30 yards to the plane.

One-way charter of the aircraft to Lanai or Molokai is $825 regardless of the number of passengers.

The operation itself seemed to be well run. A registration search of their rental aircraft ( I didn't look up the Chieftain) revealed no maintenance violations or damage history. There was an FCC citation for an emergency locator beacon activating when there was no emergency - this is really no big deal. More seriously, but perhaps not relevant to the quality of their aircraft and pilots, was a student pilot who was killed when he was on a solo training flight and flew into mountainous terrain.

When you rent an aircraft to fly yourself, you need a "checkout" flight where an instructor shows you the ropes around the local airport and airspace and verifies that you display decent piloting skills. The instructor I went with (Carol) also captains the charter flights and she was 100% top notch - everything by the book with a fantastic knowledge of the aircraft systems and procedures.

Hawaii is one place where renting plane (and being your own pilot) is economically advantageous. We went for five days, five islands for only $480 total cost - or $120 per person as there were 4 of us. Plus, en route to the destinations we saw some of the best scenery ever - the helicopter pilots we encountered were helpful in directing us to fly by the most visually stimulating spots.

Happy to provide more info if anyone would like it.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Thanks for the update, chrisjbing!

I'll consider them next time I fly... however, flying in a Cessna still isn't appealing to me...

aloha
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Oh, the thought of flying into Kahalui in a little, bitty Cesna gived me the willies!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Different strokes for different folks! My mom and sister haven't gone up with me, even for the shortest of flights.

Clarification, though: the charter flights (which I was told are as low as $45 each way) are not on single engine Cessnas but rather on twin engine chieftains - a pretty substantial aircraft for all but the most jittery.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Any recent experiences?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:17 am

Has the rates for charter flights going to inter islands change? With Georges aviation? Kindlereply back thank you
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Well, this piloting thing does not always work out so well for everyone, although the fault was not George's:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...706160355.html
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by 747FC
Well, this piloting thing does not always work out so well for everyone, although the fault was not George's:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...706160355.html
Interesting story thanks for sharing.

Sounds like he outfitted the a/c out well and the pilot knew what to do...as for why it ran out

Found an article talking about the NTSB report:

Originally Posted by the.honoluluadvertiser.com
The second air crash, involving the South Carolina couple, occurred June 15. Because the single-engine Cessna 150J aircraft sank and could not be examined, the NTSB attributed the crash to "total loss of engine power for an undetermined reason."

Pilot Michael Allen, 29, and wife Christina, 31, of Beaufort, S.C., had rented the plane from George's Aviation Service in Honolulu and topped off the fuel tank before flying an hour and 34 minutes to Kahului Airport on Maui. Forty-five minutes into their return flight, Allen, a military pilot, reported losing engine power at 2,000 feet about 10 miles east of his destination.

Allen told investigators the engine "smoothly 'rolled back' in RPM to something less than cruise power, as if power was simply reduced. It ran smoothly with no inconsistency for approximately one minute and then completely stopped," the NTSB report said.

The plane ditched about 5:53 p.m. two miles southeast of China Walls off Portlock, and the uninjured couple were able to exit the sinking aircraft and get into an inflatable raft. They were rescued by the Honolulu Fire Department and taken to Maunalua Bay Beach Park.

The NTSB report said the plane lifted off from Honolulu with 22.5 gallons of usable fuel and should have been consuming fuel at a rate of between 6 to 7 gallons per hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.