Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Honeymoon in Hawaii" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 11:53 am

thank you so much for your advice!!!! I cant wait to go
Old May 2, 2006, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DH
Congratulations! Make sure to request a Beach Tower room rather than a Ocean Tower room. Beach Tower rooms are bigger. It's FT's consensus that Westin is better for family, while Sheraton is better for couples. I stayed at Westin in April and it confirmed the FTers.

I think Pearl Harbor is worth visiting but I'm not sure about what you are looking for though... BTW, due to a new airline, tickets should be more reasonsable.

FYI, unless you arrive late, you will get a lei greeting at Westin.
This is very good advise...make sure a beach tower request is documented in your reservation...and I missed one important honeymoon item - email the hotel manager about 14 days before arrival. In your email, explain this is your honeymoon and your first trip to Maui, and how much you are looking forward to your experience at the Westin. Unless they are heavily booked, more often than not, a good manager will either arrange to upgrade you to a suite or at least have a nice welcome gift for you.

I agree Pearl Harbor is worth a visit, but I think it's too much to do in one day, given the flight to/from HNL and the transporation. You can look into a one-day trip from Robert's Hawaii, which is the largest tour operator in Hawai'i. I still think there will be alot to do on Maui between Lahaina, driving around the north, the drive to Hana, Haleakala, the Ocean Center, a whale watch cruise, snorkeling, etc. It just depends on one's tolerance for moving around. I regularly visit 2-3 islands in 8 days, but that is because I'm a frequent visitor and have seen/done all the 'must dos' and just pick and choose specific things on each island I want to do again, like out of the way hikes and beaches.

If I remember from my last visit, the lei greeting at the Westin is purple orchid for ladies and ti leaf for gentlemen. Nothing fancy, but free...although I am sure you can order much nicer leis for an airport greeting...just don't order purple orchid or ti leaf, since you would get those for free at the hotel
Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:16 pm

Programs: nwa worldperks
HELP - Hawaiian Honeymoon

My Hawaiian honeymoon is set for June 27 - July 6. This trip was booked througha travel agent, and is already paid in full. I'll be staying on Oahu for the first three nights, and then on Maui for the remaining 6 nights. My flights to/from Hawaii are on NWA. This is will be the first time both my fiance & I will be in Hawaii and I'm looking for all the tips I can get from the experts! Here's my trip's details:

*** JUNE 27 - JUNE 30: OAHU ***
Hotel: Hilton Hawaain Village - Ali'I Tower - Garden View
Points Program: HHonors (Gold Member)
Transportation: Included transfers to/from aiport, TheBus
Planned Activities: Pearl Harbor, swimming with dolphins @ Dolphin Quest

*** JUNE 30 - JULY 6: MAUI ***
Hotel: Hyatt Maui - Ocean Front Room (Base Gold Passport Member)
Point Program: Gold Passport (Base Member)
Transportation: Alamo Car Rental
Planned Activities: Road to Hana, Luau

HERE'S WHERE I NEED SOME TIPS:

HILTON HAWAIIAN VILLAGE: I'm currently a Hilton HHonors Gold member and would like to maximize my upgrade(s). I was just upgraded to Gold status, so I'm not familiar with how room upgrades work. Should I contact the hotel prior to arrival, or just present my card upon check-in? If I need to contact the hotel, should I use email, the Hilton reservations line, or phone HHV front desk directly? What should I expect to get?

HYATT MAUI: I'm only a base Gold Passport member, so I can't expect to get any free upgrades. However, since it's my honeymoon, do you think I'd be able to get any upgrades? Suggestions?

FLIGHT UPGRADES: I'm an NWA Worldperks member, and have more than enough points to upgrade to first class on the flights. I've already spoke with Northwest several times, but they currently do not have any remaining "upgradeable first class seats" open. Will these seats open-up as it gets closer to the flight date? We'd really like to get upgraded, so I'd be willing to either pay or use my miles. Any suggestions?

ENTERTAINMENT BOOK: I just ordered an entertainment book. Any particular coupons that I should use? Stay away from?

RENTAL CAR: I have a midsize rental from Alamo already booked for Maui. Any suggestions on vehicle upgrades? Coupons/codes?

OAHU & MAUI "MUST SEE'S": Can anyone that's been to Hawaii VERY recently suggest any excellent restaurants, activities, bars, etc. that we should definitely visit while on Oahu & Maui? We're in our mid-twenties & enjoy a variety of things to do.

Thanks in advance for all your help..I really appreciate it!
Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:24 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well first congradulations on your wedding! Second welcome to FT with this your second post. Third please try to use the search function on this site for you will find alot of information on Hawaii.
Now I can help with dining suggestions and other things on MAui and Oahu if you would like please private message me.

aloha
Old Jun 2, 2006, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Congrats!

For the HHV, I've been sucessful upgrading (both as a Silver and now Gold) by just going to the HHonors check-in counter with a smile on my face. I usually check in after the crowds (late afternoon) because I'm working/meeting clients etc, & I've been upgraded everytime (5 times in the past 8 months). I've gotten Ali'i/Rainbow Tower Ocean View rooms when booked as "room selected at check-in". Just be nice to the front desk people and go from there.

As for food, it really depends on what you like. There are many local places that are good.

Have fun!
Old Jun 2, 2006, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
You should also post your questions in the Hilton, Hyatt and Northwest forums. You'll get a lot of input from people who don't frequent the Hawaii forum.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, former elite in several airlines, but don't fly as much now
If you are on the 7/6 HNL-MSP DC-10 flight, my wife and son are occupying two of those first class upgrade seats. I've heard NWA does release some within 30 days DEPENDING on seat availability. At HHV, you're already in the best tower. You can fax the general managers at your two hotels and tell them you are on your honeymoon, and would appreciate any extra perks like room location, free breakfasts, etc. they can provide. It may get you nowhere, but it's worth a few minutes to try it.

There are numerous good travel books on Hawaii. Go to your local bookstore and buy one for each island. I can highly recommend the "Maui Revealed" and "Oahu Revealed" for your two chosen islands.

Best wishes on your wedding. It sounds like you have a great honeymoon lined up!
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:23 am
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by nwa_newby
*** JUNE 27 - JUNE 30: OAHU ***
Hotel: Hilton Hawaain Village - Ali'I Tower - Garden View
Points Program: HHonors (Gold Member)
Transportation: Included transfers to/from aiport, TheBus
Planned Activities: Pearl Harbor, swimming with dolphins @ Dolphin Quest
This is at the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island, not the HHV on Oahu.

AGS
Old Jun 4, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
First of all congrats. If you want to swim with dolphins you can do it at the Kahala hotel. Call now to book it though because they are always booked up. They have the cutest dolphins and from what I have seen, a great program. here's a link for you to check it out.

http://www.kahalaresort.com/activiti...-encounter.cfm

You can also get some great coupon books at the airports. These have some great discounts and 2 for 1's in them. They have them right as you are exiting. You really can't miss them.

Some great activities that we have enjoyed are:

Blue Hawaiian Helicopters-We did the West Maui/Haleakula tour. It was incredible. You miss a lot while on land. This is the only way to really see all of Maui.

Take a drive upcountry. It is just so beautiful. The colors pop out at you like you can't imagine. There are quaint little towns and all are so different from each other. Little shops and art galleries and some great lunch restaurants. Bring your camera for this ride.

Go to Lahaina and see all the kitchy t-shirt shops. There are also art galleries and some great restaurants. You must go down to Lahaina for dinner. We love Io's and David Pauls. There are more casual places too. The books you pick up at the airport will help you.

There is so much to do that you will never be able to do it all. We have been there thirteen times and I still don't think we have done everything.

The following links are from my recent trip to Oahu and Maui in March/ April.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547634

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554828

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554827

These can give you some ideas. You will love the Hyatt. We stayed there last year and loved most parts of it. The pool is way too crowded with chairs and it's beach is very rocky. (we just walk about two minutes to a better part of the beach) You must remember that every other couple over there is a honeymooner, so don't count on an upgrade, but if you get one thats great. Do e-mail them and tell them. The least they will do is send you up a bottle of hangover champagne.

The only Alamo coupon I have is for one free day on a mid-fullsize car. The code is FH1B and the ID # is 70000440. There is a minimum of 5 days rental. I have different codes for different rental companies, so if you decide to go with another rental company for any reason let me know. They are all basically the same deals though.

Last but not least. DO NOT SWIM IN THE WATER IN OAHU. Read todays post from Slippa's. I was there when this sewer spillage happened and it's not pretty. All the sewerage has now contaminated the sand, so be careful.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please feel free to PM me.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:41 pm

Honeymoon Advice: Oahu vs Kauai vs Maui

My fiancee and I are currently planning our honeymoon for October of '07, and have decided on Hawaii (she sold me on it, but now I'm pretty excited too). We'll be their six nights and seven days (from around 1pm Sunday to 6pm or later the following Saturday).

For sure we're going to stay in Oahu for a couple of nights, because we (okay, I) want to see the USS Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl National Cemetery. She wants to stay at the Royal Hawaiian a couple of nights also. We're trying to decide whether to just stay the whole time on Oahu, or whether to add a second island (most likely Kauai or Maui) for the other 3 or 4 nights.

When it comes to the honeymoon, we do want relaxation, but also love the nightlife. We're not huge club people, but do love a great meal and latenight mai-tais or pina coladas. Walking to the restaurant or bars is a DEFINITE MAJOR PLUS. But, when it comes to beaches we'd like to have at least a couple of days on an uncrowded stretch of sand to layout or swim/snorkel. I realize that's not going to be Waikiki, but thought that a day drive to another Oahu beach might be the ticket.

Any advice on what to do? Would staying at the Royal Hawaiian for a couple nights and living up the nightlife in Waikiki followed by a relaxing stay near Poipu in Kauai...or Napili or Kapalua in Maui be the way to go?--We figured if we go to Kauai or Maui for the other four nights we'll do the condo route. Or will peoplewatching on Waikiki with daytime trips to other beaches on Oahu be the best for the entire trip (again if we stay in Oahu it will probably be at the Royal Hawaiian for the duration)? Oahu for a couple of nights is a must for the honeymoon, but the rest is up in the air. All advice is welcome! Thank you (or I guess I better get used to saying Mahalo!).

MJ
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
First, congratulations!

Second, I think for such a short time here I would not use up the better part of one of those days traveling inter-island (time spent traveling to/from airports, packing up/unpacking, etc., etc.). Five hours of jet lag is enough to deal with without adding on another island, imo.

Overall, I'd say stay on Waikiki the whole time, and perhaps drive to one of the windward beaches one day.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:11 pm

While the interisland flights are pretty short and easy, I would definitely agree that with only 6/7 days I wouldn't waste the travel time.

I don't personally like the Hilton Hawaiian Village - a little too busy for me - but a lot of people do like it for the variety of restaurants and things to do, etc. Sounds like that might be something you might like.

I also agree on renting a car and driving around to the windward side (eastern side) - island is small enough that you can do it all without changing hotels. There are public beaches like Lanikai where, if you get up early, you can grab a to-go breakfast at a deli along the way and sit out on the beach for the morning - very enjoyable. Then in the afternoon drive up to the North Shore and stop for a snow-cone at one of the stands.

Hanauma bay on the south side is also nice although you have to pay a modest fee (maybe $10?) I didn't really like the idea of paying and then feeling like i had to stay there all day to get my money's worth (ok i am cheap).
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Honolulu is literally a city with a great beach. It has sandy beaches, high rises, hotels and restaurants galore. It also has what you'd expect in a tourist town, such as t-shirt and novelty shops. The rest of Oahu is not to be dismissed, however, and can offer some great places to stay away from the crowded downtown area.

Never been to Kauai, but I picture it as being secluded and romantic, with breathtaking scenery. It's probably way more laid back than Oahu. It is getting more development, but you're probably much more limited on activities, places to stay, and restaurants.

Maui offers both worlds. On the western side the island (referred to as West and South Maui), you'll find lots of resorts. Lahaina is the "downtown" area and it has a lot of restaurants and novelty shops as well as a harbour where you can book cruises and sailboat rides, etc. On the eastern side of the island, you'll find a completely different island that marches to the beat of its own drummer.

Hawaiian islands each have their unique flavor. What appeals to me might not appeal to you. Talk it over with your fiancee and figure out which island sounds like the best place for you. One bit of advice is that I wouldn't do too much island hopping. You don't want to spend your honeymoon in an airport, especially with increased security.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:12 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by MJ33
Walking to the restaurant or bars is a DEFINITE MAJOR PLUS. But, when it comes to beaches we'd like to have at least a couple of days on an uncrowded stretch of sand
Any advice on what to do? Mahalo! MJ

Windward Oahu's Lanikai beach in Kailua is your uncrowded paradise, and the drive from Waikiki is gorgeous!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Another option for you might be to head straight to either Maui or Kauai and spend your time there. Then on the day of your return to the mainland, take an early morning flight to Oahu and spend the day seeing the USS Arizona, Punch Bowl, etc - your bags can be checked through so no need to haul bags with you around town. Just grab a rental car and go. This is how we have visited Oahu on our various trips. Assuming you would have a late night departure, you could have up to 10-12 hours to hit the main tourist sites plus have a nice early dinner somewhere. This may not give you the time you want on Oahu, but if you want to stay there mainly to see the Arizona and Punch Bowl, etc., this might be a better option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.