Wiki Posts
Search

Maui: Ritz or Four Seasons

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2002, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
Maui: Ritz or Four Seasons

I am planning my honeymoon to Maui for this Fall, and was wondering who could weigh in on either or both of these hotels. Consider them my shortlist.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are both ***** hotels/resorts and nice beyond belief. Why not stay a couple days in each of them. This way you wont get overly bored on your h/moon. They are only about 50-60 minutes from each other. Enjoy the nice island and you should be highly commended for your suburb short list taste.

MisterNice
Old Apr 29, 2002, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MisterNice:
They are both ***** hotels/resorts and nice beyond belief. Why not stay a couple days in each of them. This way you wont get overly bored on your h/moon. They are only about 50-60 minutes from each other. Enjoy the nice island and you should be highly commended for your suburb short list taste.

MisterNice
</font>
Thanks MisterNice. Do you mean to say that the list is superb, or suburban?

I am definitely considering splitting time between the 2 (looking at 10 nights total). The downside is that you have to re-pack/un-pack an extra time...not an issue for me, but my fiancee on the other hand...

There is also the notion of the 7 night packages that Four Seasons gives, but I haven't yet figured out if those are really good deals or not. Another scenario is to do 3 nights at 1 place with a really big Suite, and the rest of the time at the other, with a more down to earth room.

Thoughts on any of these points?
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:20 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kapalua where the Ritz is quite different from the rest of Maui. It's breezy and with the types of tall trees and vegetation in the area looks more like Lake Tahoe than Hawaii. The RC has a wonderful pool, but if you are a beach person, the beach is quite a trek (they have a cart if you prefer to be driven) with rougher surf than you'd probably like. Rooms, service and food were all glorious. Not much else in the area, although we went to a restaurant in a golf club just north (Plantation House?) that was delightful. There's a darling Catholic church literally across the RC driveway where all faiths are welcome. Can't compare it to the Four Seasons as I've never been, but definitely prefer the RC and Kapalua to the hotter areas in Ka'anpali.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 11:46 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

If you want the absolute best service, go to the Four Seasons (they spray you with Evian, while sitting around the pool). Rooms are lovely and see no need for a suite. Have you looked into the Bed and Breakfast package they offer? I might consider the Ritz Carlton for a few nights, just as a change of pace. My guess, however, is that it will be somewhat disappointing after the pampering you receive at the Four Seasons.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 12:14 pm

Have you considered splitting your time between the two Four Seasons? The one on the big Island is spectacular with the world's most beautiful spa. Don't know if there is a package offered which allows for a split stay. Have you looked at fourseasons.com? Maui and Hawaii are very different...That would be my choice. Moving from the 4 Seasons Maui to the RC is moving from one luxury hotel to another. Moving from the 4 Seasons Maui to the one on Hawaii will give you a completely different island experience.
Old Apr 30, 2002, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
I've been looking at the Four Seasons near Kona for a trip in June but can't find rates for less than $500/night. Are there any discounts to be had or is the outlandish rack rate the only way to stay there?
Old Apr 30, 2002, 1:49 pm

just took a look at the website. Looks as though the rack rates are $500.00 but they are offering a package of one night free with 6 paid, so it does reduce the cost a bit. Would suggest calling the hotel and seeing if they are offering the B&B during June. That is the best deal of all, as you can have breakfast either in your room or in the dining room. Otherwise, you'll pay a small fortune for breakfast. The hotel and spa are really fabulous and given the amenities it is far and away the best hotel in the islands. It has everything one could want. Reception people are very helpful. When we were there last year, they told us that when we return we should consider a lesser-priced room near the golf course, as opposed to the higher-priced oceanfront room, which we had. Said all rooms are essentially the same and, in fact, some of the golf rooms are actually closer to the pool and more convenient to dining.
Old May 1, 2002, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh boy, trapped by crappy spelling again. FWIW both hotels are in the suburbs.....as is most of Maui. Lately most of the Hawaiian hotels offer the last day "free" if you book 5 or more days. Check their web sites or read a Sunday L A Times. Costco has nice some deals but not for these hotels now.

Packing/unpacking on a trip should never take more than 1 hour.......on a honeymoon or not on a honeymoon. It would be a great time for your sweetie to presently learn this, and it would probably save both of you oodles of time in the years to come.

I will try to check around for any local deals.

MisterNice
Old May 2, 2002, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks MisterNice -- I appreciate the insight and any further recommendations. RE: the packing issue, yes, I agree, and I think I am going to split time between the 2 resorts.

RE: The packages, I don't know if any of the special promotions are worth anything really, besides 5th night free or whatever. Trying to figure out what my Amex points will get me, then decide if I want to go over the top with a fancy suite for a couple days at one or the other.
Old May 2, 2002, 10:13 pm

Re: Honeymoon---have been married for many years--was a resident of Maui for many years---please stop thinking about awards and points and focus on your honeymoon and beyond---
Old May 3, 2002, 11:40 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
Re: Honeymoon---have been married for many years--was a resident of Maui for many years---please stop thinking about awards and points and focus on your honeymoon and beyond---</font>
I don't understand.

First, I'm not focused on the points. But, if I am going to stay at one or both of those world-class resorts, and in the process I can cash in my points for some free nights to save $500-$800 / night, then I would be stupid not to take advantage of that.

Second, what does your being a resident of Maui for many years have to do with me focusing on my Honeymoon and beyond?

I'm looking for advice about these two resorts from anyone who has been lucky enough to stay at either or both. I'm not looking for a lecture on my marriage.
Old May 3, 2002, 12:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TarHeelFlyer:
I don't understand.

First, I'm not focused on the points. But, if I am going to stay at one or both of those world-class resorts, and in the process I can cash in my points for some free nights to save $500-$800 / night, then I would be stupid not to take advantage of that.

Second, what does your being a resident of Maui for many years have to do with me focusing on my Honeymoon and beyond?

I'm looking for advice about these two resorts from anyone who has been lucky enough to stay at either or both. I'm not looking for a lecture on my marriage.
</font>
I think 'Obscure' wants you to post a picture of your fiancee and then he'll decipher his post
Old May 3, 2002, 1:17 pm

"I'm looking for advice about these two resorts from anyone who has been lucky enough to stay at either or both."

I believe if you read through this thread you will note that I have stayed in both and gave you my opinions. I specifically spoke about the remarkable service at the 4 seasons & why I would spend more time there and less time at the Ritz Carlton.
Old May 3, 2002, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
I believe if you read through this thread you will note that I have stayed in both and gave you my opinions. I specifically spoke about the remarkable service at the 4 seasons & why I would spend more time there and less time at the Ritz Carlton.</font>
Right, and I appreciate it, along with the input from the others who chimed in. I just wasn't sure why you had to say:

"please stop thinking about awards and points and focus on your honeymoon and beyond--- "

This is Flyertalk Travel, not Dr. Phil...

Again, thank you for the other input, I appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by TarHeelFlyer (edited 05-03-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.