Reload this Page >

Big Island: "South Kona-Kona-North Kohala-Waimea restaurants" Thread [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status.

The 2021 and onwards thread on this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2035765-favorite-restaurants-west-coast-big-island-hawaii.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Big Island: "South Kona-Kona-North Kohala-Waimea restaurants" Thread [Archived]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Observing current locals may give an accurate reflection of how they live now, but how bout lessons of the past. I love to join locals in their eateries and observing current trends, but what I'm interested is learning about the past. I guess engaging in conversations would help one learn, but we do that with whoever we meet up with anyways and doesn't seem like a whole lot of history being learned and how Hawaiian hospitality and culture that once was IMHO. Hawaiian natives are desensitized to the current world. If I can visit Niihau maybe we'll have a but if blast from the past. But I bet there are TVs and current world conveniences even amongst the small population of 200. I think there may be a role for some organization to take us back 500 years and show us how its really like before Captain Cook arrived at the shores of Hawaii.

Dined at Charley's Thai in Waimea yesterday and the experience did not disappoint. The sweet Thai iced tea is a treat, the massaman curry a delight, sticky rice a twist to what I'm used to and deep fried red snapper in sweet and sour sauce is excellent. The pad Thai is not to be missed and the Mahi special on the back page not bad served with a handsome portion of island veggies. Mmmmmmm
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: DL platinum, AS MVP gold
I have family in Kealakakua and I travel there several times a year. Here is my take and a few of my favorite places to dine:
Ba-Le french/vietnamese is next to the KTA in Kona and has great pho and sandwiches. KTA carries sashimi grade ahi in season, a bottle of shoyu and a tube of wasab and all you need is a sharp knife for a grand meal!
Great breakfast at the Fishhopper. Lava Java is always crowded and is the place for expresso, skip the food however.
Ocean side dining is best at Huggos (best mai-tai) or you can watch the Mantas as you dine at Rays on the Bay (expensive).
Best cheesesteak is at the bar at Honohaku harbor accompanied by a beer in a frozen goblet.
Sam Choys has a great view but the food is so-so and the sauces are loaded with sugar.
Teshimas is famous for their bento.
Go to the Coffee Shack during avocado season and order any sandwich with avocado. Captain Cook avocados can be the size of your head!
Shop for fresh produce at the farmers market in downtown Kona or Hilo. Apple Bannas!
Take the drive to Hilo for a meal at Sombats, she grows fresh herbs and peppers in a garden by the front door. Creapes are good at the Magic Pan. Anything is good at the Hilo Bay Cafe. Merrimans in Kamula is worth the trip.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks! I like KTA too.

Also, many restaurant reviews at www.konaweb.com
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flightmedic72
I have family in Kealakakua and I travel there several times a year. Here is my take and a few of my favorite places to dine:
Ba-Le french/vietnamese is next to the KTA in Kona and has great pho and sandwiches. KTA carries sashimi grade ahi in season, a bottle of shoyu and a tube of wasab and all you need is a sharp knife for a grand meal!
Great breakfast at the Fishhopper. Lava Java is always crowded and is the place for expresso, skip the food however.
Ocean side dining is best at Huggos (best mai-tai) or you can watch the Mantas as you dine at Rays on the Bay (expensive).
Best cheesesteak is at the bar at Honohaku harbor accompanied by a beer in a frozen goblet.
Sam Choys has a great view but the food is so-so and the sauces are loaded with sugar.
Teshimas is famous for their bento.
Go to the Coffee Shack during avocado season and order any sandwich with avocado. Captain Cook avocados can be the size of your head!
Shop for fresh produce at the farmers market in downtown Kona or Hilo. Apple Bannas!
Take the drive to Hilo for a meal at Sombats, she grows fresh herbs and peppers in a garden by the front door. Creapes are good at the Magic Pan. Anything is good at the Hilo Bay Cafe. Merrimans in Kamula is worth the trip.
Krua Thai Cuisine and Original Thai are good Thai restaurants. I liked Sam Choy's, but my wife wasn't too impressed. I agree get there prior to the sunset for great views.

Hilo Bay Caf is excellent, and just recently expanded. I haven't been since the expansion, but Hilo Bay Caf is a definite must consider when driving through. Merrimans is a great spot in Waimea.

Local eats.. Again Pine Tree Caf near the airport turnoff is a local hangout. Great food at a great price.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by flightmedic72
What is the season for ahi? I will be there next month. Also, do you know if there is a season for ono? It seems like there are times when it is completely unavailable . . .
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by TH310
What is the season for ahi? I will be there next month. Also, do you know if there is a season for ono? It seems like there are times when it is completely unavailable . . .
Ahi has always been available when I've been there. Ono, not always. These fish are caught year around.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by philemer
Ahi has always been available when I've been there. Ono, not always. These fish are caught year around.
Like to stock up at Costco for these items. Fresh Fish does go fast though- and the variety does vary. They've been carrying more and more local fruit & veggies too ^

Awesome idea on Wasabi- also related to Costco- they carry wasabi in a largeish dual tube pack. Unfortunately I've only seen this in Hawaii locations- so I tend to buy a pack when I'm there. Have a growing collection at home now
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beckoa
Like to stock up at Costco for these items. Fresh Fish does go fast though- and the variety does vary. They've been carrying more and more local fruit & veggies too ^

Awesome idea on Wasabi- also related to Costco- they carry wasabi in a largeish dual tube pack. Unfortunately I've only seen this in Hawaii locations- so I tend to buy a pack when I'm there. Have a growing collection at home now
Costco's in Hawaii seem to have quite a few local fare and products. In the beginning when we started to visit Hawaii Costco's, I thought the products were same across all stores. I was pleasantly surprised that clothes, products, and prepared foods were sold, meeting the taste of locals and visitors.

Certainly an excellent stop for us any island we travel to. We've been visiting Hawaii Costco's for 10 years. The food court is convenient, for anyone needing a quick bite.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Hello,
Does anyone know if there's a restaurant similar to BarAcuda in Princeville, Kauai, on the Big Island's Kona side?

Its a tapas restaurant that was very good and seemed to straddle the line between upscale and relaxed at the same time.

Any replies greatful^
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Bump for a couple visits in the next month

Still plan on Hawaiian Style Cafe :-:
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Bump for a couple visits in the next month

Still plan on Hawaiian Style Cafe :-:
I have a friend in south Kona and we always go to the Strawberry Patch. Small place, great food. https://thestrawberrypatchhawaii.com

And the coconut rice pudding at the Menehune Coffee Company cafe in Captain Cook, just past Middle Keei Rd is to die for. It is like crack - totally addicting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.