Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Big Island: Consolidated "Ka`u-Volcano-Puna-Hilo-Hamakua-Honoka`a restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Big Island: Consolidated "Ka`u-Volcano-Puna-Hilo-Hamakua-Honoka`a restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by italdesign
Any suggestions in Hamakua, Hilo and Volcano?
For Hilo, a must-go-to place is Hilo Bay Cafe. Book reservations ASAP.

In Volcano, try the Lava Rock Cafe. I consider the place to be like a Hawaiian Style diner.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 6, 2022 at 10:51 am
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Ya know, while in Hilo this past July we came across the only Lebanese food on the island (maybe in the entire state): Tabaraka Lebanese Food - Hilo, Hawaii (tabarakahi.com)

The owner and his wife were very friendly, great service and the food was delicious - made with love and on island time, but it's worth the wait. They are located in the parking lot behind the building across the street from Kozmic Cones.

Also, we really enjoyed Hilo Burger Joint.

Last edited by Section 107; Sep 9, 2022 at 11:22 am
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Nuang Mai Thai Kitchen in Hilo has a beautiful pumpkin curry (with choice of meat / seafood / tofu), and delicious mango sticky rice
Old Sep 11, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
For Hilo, a must-go-to place is Hilo Bay Cafe. Book reservations ASAP.
Thank you for this suggestion. The duck duck demi was a hit. Also, absolutely loved the park across the street (pic below).

Elsewhere, had excellent red curry with generous jumbo shrimps at Bangkok Villa Hilo. Best food during my 8 days on the island (Hilo Bay Cafe is #2).

Hawaiian Style Cafe Hilo did not disappoint after the good experience at their Waimea location. I had a hard time choosing a dish, with so many good sounding choices. Ultimately chose the Mento Bento; it was tasty and enormous (can easily be 3 meals).

Another place I'd like to try is Moon and Turtle.

Avoid Tuk Tuk Thai Food Truck in Volcano. After 2 meals there, I can say while the food isn't the worst I had on this trip, it's nothing like Thai food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.