Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Big Island: Consolidated "Ka`u-Volcano-Puna-Hilo-Hamakua-Honoka`a restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Big Island: Consolidated "Ka`u-Volcano-Puna-Hilo-Hamakua-Honoka`a restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:50 am

Programs: AA PLT
Keep these coming, please; my husband, two friends and I will be in Kapoho for 5 nights and Volcano for 2 in January
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:45 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Luquins in Pahoa.

Best Mexican food on the island. ^
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Aha!

I'm supposed to meet friends in Pahoa tomorrow night. I think we have a room reserved (above? behind?) the pizzeria. But I'll see if I can drag them over to the mexican place while I'm there.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Ask if they have any of the Lillikoi pie. One of the waitresses makes it and it is to die for.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Hilo Bay Cafe, in the Wal-Mart Shopping Center off Highway 11 (I forget the street name there).

Nicely decorated space. Interesting and innovative menu. Less fish (proportionately) than many other BI restaurants. Kids menu, too. Ahi Poke is terrific; ahi carpaccio not worth it by comparison. Nice soup, salad, etc. Good desserts too. Reasonably priced, also.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Well, I have to sadly recommend one not to try: the Lava Rock Cafe in Volcano village.

Ate there for the third time yesterday (we keep wanting to try the Thai restaurant but it is never open when we're there).

Every time we have been there, the food has been very good -- but service ranges from indifferent to surly, the food is very over-priced, and the wait staff brings each person's dish as it is ready (the first person in our party got her food 10 minutes before the last person.)
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

While looking for something else, found this restaurant review site of Hilo restaurants. Looks fairly up-to-date:

http://www.miraclesalad.com/eats/
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Cronie's Sports bar in Hilo was a pretty decent place, with a typical sports bar atmosphere. Decent burgers and food.

Glad we didn't go to Lava Rock Cafe. The books review of it was very similar to cblaisds.

Totally missed the reviews here of the Pahoa mexican place. That would have been our best option.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Restaurant Kaikodo now pau for good

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local01.txt

(use flyertalk/flyteralk for username/password)
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Oh well. Back to Ocean Sushi Deli and Tsunami Grill and Tempura on Keawe St. ^ ^
Old Aug 12, 2007, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Agree that those are excellent, but have -- as with 98% of the restaurants in Hilo -- great food and zero atmosphere. Every once in awhile, atmosphere is nice too.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Every once in awhile, atmosphere is nice too.
Looks like Cafe Pesto has the lock on fine dining and atmosphere, Hilo side, now, yeah? http://www.cafepesto.com/
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Yes, that and Hilo Bay Cafe.

I have to say, though, that I am MUCH less impressed with the latter's food that many other folks. Nice atmosphere, but I thought the food was at best mediocre.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Two to heartily recommend:

The Back to the '50s Diner in Laupahoehoe is a fun place, with some fascinating '50s memorabilia. I had an excellent hand-formed, very fresh hamburger. Typical diner food (with good milk shakes, if a bit pricey), including the "comfort foods you loved as a child -- like saimin and chicken katsu."

Speaking of milkshakes, the relatively newly opened Just Crusin' Coffee has a chocolate milkshake (hand-dipped, quality ice cream) that is easily in the top five of all the milkshakes I've ever had.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This thread came in handy for my recent trip last week.

In Honoka`a, we had lunch at Tex Drive Inn. The service was slow and food pretty average by my standards. The malasadas were fresh, but I prefer Leonard's Bakery in Honolulu.

In Hilo, we had lunch at Cafe 100, home of the loco moco. Food here was much better and still quite cheap. We also made two trips to the Two Ladies' Kitchen to order strawberry mochi, which was as good as remembered.

We stopped at the new Safeway (near the KTA) and picked up some provisions there; it's quite a nice and modern store with a good variety of options.

In Pahoa, we did stop at Luquin's on our way to see the lava flow and I found the food to be right on par with any of the better Mexican places here in SoCal - the carnitas were very tasty.

In Volcano, we had dinner at Thai Thai and had green curry and pad thai. We ordered the temperatures on the low side and they were still quite spicy. The food was terrific, but a little pricey.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 19, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.