Search

Mauna Lani vs. Mauna Kea

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 10:33 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Mauna Lani vs. Mauna Kea

I need advice.

3 couples, elderly, heading to Hawaii in November for 10 days. Flying private, money is not a consideration here.

A Big Island resident who we know has suggested either of these two hotels. She likes the Kea, her husband likes the Lani. We like quiet, good food, and beauty. The time is for good friends to catch up who haven't seen each other in a few years. Probably not much exploration due to minor mobility issues.

Which one. I am leaning towards the Kea.......

Thanks.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
If it is between the two, personally, we prefer the grounds at the Mauna Lani. The extensive remodel is beautiful and we also prefer CanoeHouse to Manta for dining. The beach at Mauna Kea is better than Mauna Lani since it does not have a coral entry. It all depends what you want to do during your stay.

If money is not a consideration, I would recommend the Four Seasons Hualalai. Beautiful property, redesigned rooms and great restaurants.
Old May 25, 2022, 7:01 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
A first world problem to be sure. Having stayed at the Lani when youngish and the Kea when oldish, I’d lean towards the Kea for anyone elderly. First, it’s an older crowd that is staying and there will likely be less children. Also, the mid-century architectural grandeur could be a welcome nostalgic throw back and (if I project 20 years ahead) trumps the admittedly better Lani pool, right off the beach snorkeling and grounds. The Kea’s art collection (and they should take the docent led tour) is another plus. If the Kea, I’d try to park the oldsters on the same level as check in and not too far out on the wings.

Last edited by Jailer; May 25, 2022 at 8:47 pm
Old May 26, 2022, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Jailer
A first world problem to be sure. Having stayed at the Lani when youngish and the Kea when oldish, I’d lean towards the Kea for anyone elderly. First, it’s an older crowd that is staying and there will likely be less children. Also, the mid-century architectural grandeur could be a welcome nostalgic throw back and (if I project 20 years ahead) trumps the admittedly better Lani pool, right off the beach snorkeling and grounds. The Kea’s art collection (and they should take the docent led tour) is another plus. If the Kea, I’d try to park the oldsters on the same level as check in and not too far out on the wings.
Sorry to disagree with your assessment. If you have not been to the Mauna Lani since they refurbished the entire resort when Auberge took over, I would not rule it out since they now have an adult pool, a family pool and and keiki pool in addition to the beautiful fitness center and lap pool. The residences that were built on the Westin Hapuna site next to resort, have been a detriment to the feel that the properties once enjoyed. I understand the mid-century nostalgia but it just feels worn next to the refurbished Mauna Lani and Hualalai.

And you are correct, first world problem. Any choice would land you at a beautiful resort with great service.
Old May 26, 2022, 5:38 am
Original Poster

FWIW....We opted for the Mauna Lani. We needed 4 rooms and they made us a nice offer for 4 top floor ocean front rooms, breakfast and a generous resort credit per room. We looked into the 4 Seasons but it would have been twice as expensive with no perks...so I guess in the end...money WAS a consideration for us. We are going for a bit longer than I would like (10 days) but you can't beat the method of transportation and I have no say in that as I am not the host.
Old May 26, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
Sorry to disagree with your assessment. If you have not been to the Mauna Lani since they refurbished the entire resort when Auberge took over, I would not rule it out since they now have an adult pool, a family pool and and keiki pool in addition to the beautiful fitness center and lap pool. The residences that were built on the Westin Hapuna site next to resort, have been a detriment to the feel that the properties once enjoyed. I understand the mid-century nostalgia but it just feels worn next to the refurbished Mauna Lani and Hualalai.

And you are correct, first world problem. Any choice would land you at a beautiful resort with great service.
The Hapuna residences have no impact on the Mauna Kea at all you can’t even see them from the Mauna Kea.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The Hapuna residences have no impact on the Mauna Kea at all you can’t even see them from the Mauna Kea.
Good to know - thank you for clarifying. We do not visit the property often so did not realize that the towers were not seen from the property.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I think you made the right choice if you have mobility concerns since it's much easier to get around the resort and the beach with limited/no steps at the Mauna Lani over the Mauna Kea. Same is true of the eateries. Plus you will fall in love with CanoeHouse
Old May 30, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think you made the right choice if you have mobility concerns since it's much easier to get around the resort and the beach with limited/no steps at the Mauna Lani over the Mauna Kea. Same is true of the eateries. Plus you will fall in love with CanoeHouse
CanoeHouse inspired me to try my hand at making Shokupan, our favorite bread to sop up the sauce from their fish entrees. The corn ribs are our mainstay appetizer, and of course, the incredible fried rice.
Weatherboy likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:45 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Gosh, I’m fully convinced by y’all and have marked the second week of February 2043 as “return to Mauna Lani” on my calendar.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jailer
Gosh, I’m fully convinced by y’all and have marked the second week of February 2043 as “return to Mauna Lani” on my calendar.
Do you really have to wait 21 years to return?
Old May 31, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by david55
Do you really have to wait 21 years to return?
But I’ll be 85, elderly and perfectly positioned to check out everyone’s advice.
david55, dlaue and catmndu like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
As someone who has frequented both properties. Hands down for F&B and general atmosphere Mauna Lani is superb, but the beach at Mauna Kea is amazing. I'd pick Mauna Lani over Mauna Kea 10/10 times. I really never cared for FS -- the resort there (ironically) felt too artificial. The best food on the Island in my opinion is at the Mauna Lani. Mauna Kea's restaurant was just meh, and the drinks there were all too sugary. The GM at the Mauna Lani is top notch, but you really can't go wrong with either resort.

I might be the only person (and I love dough) who thought the shokapan was, "okay." The food at canoehouse really is spectacular...
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philfna
As someone who has frequented both properties. Hands down for F&B and general atmosphere Mauna Lani is superb, but the beach at Mauna Kea is amazing. I'd pick Mauna Lani over Mauna Kea 10/10 times. I really never cared for FS -- the resort there (ironically) felt too artificial. The best food on the Island in my opinion is at the Mauna Lani. Mauna Kea's restaurant was just meh, and the drinks there were all too sugary. The GM at the Mauna Lani is top notch, but you really can't go wrong with either resort.

I might be the only person (and I love dough) who thought the shokapan was, "okay." The food at canoehouse really is spectacular...
Thanks so much for the endorsement with our choice of the Mauna Lani

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.