LAX-Hawaii Load Factors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-Hawaii Load Factors

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
LAX-Hawaii Load Factors

Has anybody flown LAX to Hawaii on any airline other than American and what did the passenger loads look like? (The reason I'm asking is our last couple of trips LAX-Hawaii on American were sparse. Friends tell us they experienced the same thing). The flight attendants were openly concerned and all but begging passengers to rebook soon.

Hawaii, on the other hand, seemed almost back to it's overcrowded self. I'm wondering if Southwest really is tipping the market.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: Some more than others
I think it's a bit of a mixed bag, depends a lot on day of the week.

I flew LAX-LIH on UA a few weeks ago on a Friday and the 738 was about half full.

Later on a Sunday I flew KOA-LAX also on UA and the 739 was packed.

Relative flew AA LIH-LAX (32Q) on a Tuesday and it was 80% full in Y and sadly full up front (she ended #8 on upg list with my SWU).
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold
not LAX, but I flew SAN-KOA on Alaska and KOA-SJC on Southwest a couple weeks ago and both flights were packed.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I do Maui to west coast (and back) 1-2X a month and it's been inconsistent lately. I fly AS and it's full/near-full the majority of the time but there are some instances of pretty empty planes. The most notable post-Covid (meaning once Hawaii was again open for tourism) was just before Christmas when I was going SEA>OGG. I was by myself in FC (on an upgrade). The plane was maybe 1/3 full and I was blown away there were no other people with status that wanted an upgrade.

In my very non-scientific method of just watching planes at the airport and what fly over my house (I'm directly under the approach and can spot the carrier usually) AS, WN and HA are by far the big players. Delta is probably next and AA and UA are quite a bit behind them. I always think of AA as a largely business traveler carrier (again kind of an assumption) and with how closed down that sector has been it's not surprising their flights to vacation destinations are light these days (no traveling for biz = no miles to take the family on vacation, etc.).
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mtofell
I do Maui to west coast (and back) 1-2X a month and it's been inconsistent lately. I fly AS and it's full/near-full the majority of the time but there are some instances of pretty empty planes. The most notable post-Covid (meaning once Hawaii was again open for tourism) was just before Christmas when I was going SEA>OGG. I was by myself in FC (on an upgrade). The plane was maybe 1/3 full and I was blown away there were no other people with status that wanted an upgrade.

In my very non-scientific method of just watching planes at the airport and what fly over my house (I'm directly under the approach and can spot the carrier usually) AS, WN and HA are by far the big players. Delta is probably next and AA and UA are quite a bit behind them. I always think of AA as a largely business traveler carrier (again kind of an assumption) and with how closed down that sector has been it's not surprising their flights to vacation destinations are light these days (no traveling for biz = no miles to take the family on vacation, etc.).
I also might suggest that AS is so full because of its schedule gutting, routing pax through connecting points to get to/from an island.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I also might suggest that AS is so full because of its schedule gutting, routing pax through connecting points to get to/from an island.
Yeah, the whole lack of inter-island flights has to make their scheduling a bit more challenging than WN or HA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.