COVID Variant Surges and Impact to Hawaii Public Health Measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Topic check - reminder to stay on topic

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

This thread is superseded by: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2050531-new-covid-restrictions-city-county-honolulu-eff-8-25-2021-a.html
Print Wikipost

COVID Variant Surges and Impact to Hawaii Public Health Measures

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Gov. David Ige calls for 30-day suspension of visitors to Hawaii

The Governor of Hawaii can't actually ban you from coming - but asking you not come to Hawaii for 30 days and ban all activities next 15 days.

Relevant to United as they are the dominant carrier from the Mainland to Hawaii.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ds-first-case/
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The Governor of Hawaii can't actually ban you from coming - but asking you not come to Hawaii for 30 days and ban all activities next 15 days.

Relevant to United as they are the dominant carrier from the Mainland to Hawaii.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ds-first-case/
I watched the news conference live on FB. Lots of requests not anything else. He got slaughtered in the comments which is admittedly normal. Hasn’t modified my friends coming next week, nor my UA pilot friend that has a house here.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I watched the news conference live on FB. Lots of requests not anything else. He got slaughtered in the comments which is admittedly normal. Hasn’t modified my friends coming next week, nor my UA pilot friend that has a house here.
The news conferences have been a fiasco every single day - he just isn't a decisive guy. He can't stop people from coming - but I expect many of the hotels to close soon - bars are directed to close, restaurants take out only, which will likely be a day or two to take effect - essentially all activities are closed so one can enjoy the beach though unless you are here now - been storming and will be all week.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
The news conferences have been a fiasco every single day - he just isn't a decisive guy. He can't stop people from coming - but I expect many of the hotels to close soon - bars are directed to close, restaurants take out only, which will likely be a day or two to take effect - essentially all activities are closed so one can enjoy the beach though unless you are here now - been storming and will be all week.
Aren't a lot of beaches closed?

Apparently TSA is a cluster ex-HNL, a friend missed his flight due to a wait time of over an hour today. He did get rebooked.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:07 pm

He can't stop people from coming -
I believe he could mandate 14 day quarantines for visitors and returning locals.

But as a non-decisive wimp in a crisis ...

-David
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:50 pm

He finally did something.

-David
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I believe he could mandate 14 day quarantines for visitors and returning locals.

But as a non-decisive wimp in a crisis ...

-David
Hawaii's Governor Ige did order mandatory quarantine for tourists and returning residents.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:28 pm

COVID-19 - HI Gov. Permits Counties to Establish Resort Travel Bubbles

So, Ige approved counties to create resort travel bubbies where visitors are allowed to stay within the resort/hotel grounds during the 14 day quarantine. Has anyone heard more details?

We own at Disney's Aulani and we will consider spending a week or so just at Aulani grounds. We typically spend 4 or 5 days at Aulani so a few more days wouldn't be too bad.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:32 pm

Digital incarceration? No thanks.
LETTERBOY, msp3 and redadeco like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
No way. We have 10 days booked in December on Kohala coast. While we occasionally do a "resort day", a large part of the attraction of Hawaii is all the outdoor activity, hiking, exploring, snorkeling, paddling etc. So we would still cancel if this is a restriction. I can see that if you had small kids it might be OK for a few days. For those that were considering doing quarantine anyway maybe this isn't too bad an option, but this is not going to help the tourism situation very much.

Agree that this is "way off brand" for Hawaii:
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ravel-bubbles/

Last edited by escapefromphl; Aug 21, 2020 at 2:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:13 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Assuming the in-resort experience were acceptable, I would probably be good with a bubble trip to FS Maui. Not like we have a lot of alternatives.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How would this be enforced? Would the resort install an electric fence like some people do for dogs, would there be electrified barbed wire like some cattle ranchers use, or would it be a GPS leg band like law enforcement uses?

Unless the resort has high walls and a single gated entry, it's hard to envision a workable way to do this that would satisfy the concerned people of Hawaii. Also, how m much do resorts want to monitor and restrict the free movement of guests? Guests could be annoyed by alarms going off every time someone attempts to breach the property. OTOH, the resort gets a lot more R&B sales, etc. from their captive guests.

It could be interesting to see how many resorts (especially luxury properties) and condo developments sign up for this.
bloodyeyeballs likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Thinking about this I don't see how this really helps. The cat is out of the bag, rates in Hawaii are now about the same as in California. Also these aren't really bubbles as the people staying here will interact with staff and other locals on the property. Maybe there are less opportunities for spread at a supermarket etc, but it's not a huge difference. So there is another motive for this policy?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Thinking about this I don't see how this really helps. The cat is out of the bag, rates in Hawaii are now about the same as in California. Also these aren't really bubbles as the people staying here will interact with staff and other locals on the property. Maybe there are less opportunities for spread at a supermarket etc, but it's not a huge difference. So there is another motive for this policy?
Permit entry for the money but keep tourists out of sight of locals who aren't directly benefitting from the money (with those who benefit presumably being more willing to take some risks)?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:04 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The cat is out of the bag, rates in Hawaii are now about the same as in California.
Curious what two properties you are comparing to say the rates are about the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.